Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: V21-25 [#permalink]
The final premise presented in the passage was, "Successful management of financial projects requires strong quantitative skills."

It is true quantitative analysis techniques would be taught over the course of project management training, but quantitative skills would be one of many other skills covered. For example, project managers might be trained in how to verbally analyze the press releases of The Federal Reserve Bank (USA).

The use of the word "requires" with no other explanation why the average health care professional is less skilled than the average management professional assumes that quantitative skills are the only explanation. Providing an additional explanation that moves away from quantitative skills being the only reason for the financial management skill disparity casts doubt on the conclusion that the average management professional has better quantitative skills than the average health care professional does.

Simplified thought process:

Health Care (HC) Professionals rarely succeed at managing financial projects (FP) - Avg HC Professional is less skilled at managing FP than Avg management professional... -> Avg management professional has stronger quantitative skills than the average healthcare professional?

Maybe? Is that the only reason why they are more successful? Could there be another reason? Yes, the average management professional has had training that was not necessarily quantitative.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
In this question the correct answer is stating that an alternate reason....project mgmt... is the cause for better planning, but it is stated as a fact that project mgmt requires strong quants skill and hence mgmt ppl must be stronger at quants.by stating that project mgmt might be the cause arent we going against a fact as mentioned by me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools: ISB'22
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37 (Online)
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. IMO the answer option is not very clear, as merely stating that there may be another course/training that the management professional is involved in, should not be grounds to validate this option. Though I understand that in GMAT you choose the best answer and not the correct answer. IMO (option A) is much better suited. The explanation for rejecting option A is not very convincing, as the person who penned down the solution has written that the there may be varying levels of difficulty in the quant courses - that argument is not justified as it feels as if the author has skewed the range of the answer option by his mere discretion. By that same argument that the author has made for option A, it can also be reasoned out that training in project management programs may also involve the professional assuming financial roles (involves quant skills), which may help him/her to be stronger quant skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal, Can you please help me understand this question?

My Understanding:
The conclusion is the average management professional has stronger quantitative skills than the average healthcare professional.

Now to weaken the statement, don't we have to prove that the average management professional doesn't has stronger quantitative skills?

Not sure how the causation is weakening the statement?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Tepper '24
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Sthk94, i too had the same doubt. But if u break down the argument in notes you will observe the below points :-

1) The conclusion is derived on the premise that - because health professional cant manage fin project that well means that they must have less quantitative skill.

2) we dont have to show that the quantitive skill of health professional should greater or equal than mngm ppl.

3) Rather, we have to cast a doubt on why mngm ppl have more quant skill (which could be cuz they dont just have better skills rather they were trained to enchance that skill which docs werent).

Basically in the answer we show that managment professionals might not have been originally good at managing project but they were trained to unlike health professionals.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re V21-25 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. the type of question is a weaken the argument type, and the answer is an inference. In your review, you changed the question for an inference question, so how do you expect that someone could have the answer right. I had to paid for this test and has this basic mistakes....
GMAT Club Bot
Re V21-25 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts