It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 10:49

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verb - sentence correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Verb - sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 18:06
Hi All,
Please let me know what are the wrongs in this sentence.
Thanks in advance.

The proliferation of computer games designed to involve many players at once were first
developed before the widespread availability of high-speed internet connections.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Verb - sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In order to see the errors here you need to focus on the core of the sentence. Look for the main subject and verb by pulling out the modifying elements.

The proliferation of computer games designed to involve many players at once were first
developed before the widespread availability of high-speed internet connections.

The core is: The proliferation were developed.

Clearly there is a subject/verb agreement issue here because proliferation is singular and were is plural. There also seems to be a meaning issue because of the use of the passive voice, which make more sense with computer games that it does with the proliferation.

Two potential fixes for the verb issues in the sentence:

The proliferation of Computer games designed to involve many players at once were first

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 06:13
KyleWiddison wrote:

Hello KyleWiddison, is the above sentence correct or are you suggesting that this is an incorrect sentence. This was not clear in your post.

I feel this is not correct.
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 07:39
Yes, your original sentence was incorrect for subject/verb agreement and meaning issues.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 23:35
KyleWiddison wrote:
In order to see the errors here you need to focus on the core of the sentence. Look for the main subject and verb by pulling out the modifying elements.

The core is: The proliferation were developed.

Clearly there is a subject/verb agreement issue here because proliferation is singular and were is plural. There also seems to be a meaning issue because of the use of the passive voice, which make more sense with computer games that it does with the proliferation.

The proliferation of Computer games designed to involve many players at once were first

KW

I did not get. :(
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 11:03
Maybe you could clarify for me. Did you not understand it before and now you do understand, or do you still not understand my explanation, or is there something else going on?

:)

KW

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 16:11
I was going through the SC guide and had a question about this particular sentence.;

The correct answer is "Computer games designed to involve many players at once were first developed before the widespread availability of high speed internet connections."

When I attempted this question on my own first, my thought was to remove first because "first developed before" seemed redundant, i.e. first and before technically mean the same thing, that one is coming before the other...this wasn't the case in the final correct answer, but I'm wondering why my reasoning would be wrong.
Re: Verb - sentence correction   [#permalink] 20 May 2017, 16:11

Verb - sentence correction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap