Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:43 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4691 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Verbal CATs [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your suggestions. Coming to the answers for your questions.

1) It has been one and half months since I started my preparation. But it hasn't been a full fledged one. As I am working, on weekdays I study for 1.5 hrs on average and 3-4 hrs during the weekends.

2) So far I've just used the official review books, the Verbal review book and the official GMAT guide

3) So far I've written only one complete exam, which was more like a diagnostic test. I used one of the two free exams available in GMATprep software. I scored 690 (Q50, V33).

4) I am aiming to score 750+.

5) I haven't decided the date yet, I'll decide once I start giving mocks and see where I am.

After practicing DS questions and getting used to them I got comfortable with Quant section. I recently wrote a sectional Quant test in GMAT club and scored 51. Although it is not realistic to assume I might score the same in a full fledged test I believe Quant will not be an issue for me.
So far I've practiced more or less all verbal questions from both review books and still my accuracy is very low in verbal. As it is my weak point that is why I was wondering if taking sectional verbal CAT would help, but now I think it wouldn't be realistic. How should I approach this problem?

Thanks,
Aravind
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aravindatreya,

The Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is 'train' though - working through lots of Verbal practice question is not nearly as important as learning the necessary Verbal Tactics, patterns, common wrong answer types, etc. so that you can approach Verbal questions in an organized, efficient way. From what you've described about your Verbal studies, it sounds like you're working through lots of practice materials and trying to 'self teach' how best to handle those concepts - and that's usually not the best way for most GMATers to train for the Verbal section. This is meant to say that you would likely benefit from a more formal, Course-based approach. Thankfully, you're already a strong critical thinker, so you really just need to learn HOW to properly think about Verbal questions and you could likely hit your goal score. As such, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too bad. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot