Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Verbal scores dropped in the real test, what should I do? UPD: 730! [#permalink]
GraceSCKao wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi GraceSCKao - congrats on the 730. It's a brilliant score.

If you are aiming for scholarship -- I say, give it another shot for a 750, but only if you need scholarship.

You mention RC is your weak area. It is for me as well.

How did you IMPROVE on RC ? You mention TOEFL but did you do ALSO following as well perhaps ?

• Did you perhaps practice 1 RC passage a day (700 level RC passages perhaps only) ? Very complex passages perhaps or just 600 -700 level passages ?
  • Did you practice doing them -- untimed or timed ?
  • In the world of RC - did you practice more Detailed Oriented questions or Inference type questions ?
  • Based on my ESR - i am weaker in "Detail Oriented" questions
  • Given I don't need to take the TOEFL - Any suggestions on RC improvement would be great.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late response jabhatta2 ! (heavy workloads during the application season)

I think that I'm not in the best position to advise you how to improve RC, since there are so many outstanding and helpful experts at this forum, but I could share some of my personal experience.

About how to improve RC, I am actually quite confident about my reading skills in the Chinese language--I love reading books and have read a lot of my books in my life. But reading GMAT passages in the English language is another story. Basically, I think that in order to do well in the RC section, I need to have the capacity to get the structure and main point and the capacity to understand details, and they are both essential.

Vocabulary and grammar analysis are two components I have been working hard to polish during this journey. By improving these two components, I can do a better job in understanding the details. By preparing for TOEFL, which generally has much longer passages than GMAT, I've developed a better feeling about how to get the passage structure and main idea efficiently. When I deal with TOEFL and GMAT long passages, I keep thinking "What do you (author) want to say exactly?"

Q1. Did you perhaps practice 1 RC passage a day (700 level RC passages perhaps only) ? Very complex passages perhaps or just 600 -700 level passages ?

A: Over the past two months, I tried to practice one hard RC passage every day but I could not manage to do so given heavy workloads. But I managed to keep practicing RC every two or three days. More importantly, I analyzed them very carefully--reviewing one passage took me at least 3 hours on average. I tried to understand how the test makers design the complex sentence structures so next time when I see similar structure, I would not fear.

Q2. Did you practice doing them -- untimed or timed ?

A: When I practiced a new passage, I timed myself and only gave myself about three or four mins at most. But I analyzed the passages without any time limits.

Q3. In the world of RC - did you practice more Detailed Oriented questions or Inference type questions ? Based on my ESR - i am weaker in "Detail Oriented" questions.

A: I don't have any particularly weak areas in RC--I think I was weak in both of them. I just practiced all types of questions. If you do think you have more difficulty in getting the details, maybe it's a good idea to review all the mistakes you've made to see whether there is a "pattern," or a systematic blind spot, in your thinking and reasoning.

Q4. Given I don't need to take the TOEFL - Any suggestions on RC improvement would be great.

A: How about checking some TOEFL RC questions available online? Once you've practiced them, you would know how amazing it is that GMAT passages are actually much shorter! Preparing for TOEFL made me less fearful of long passages.

jabhatta2 wrote:
You mention you realized, you were BEHIND schedule. When was this - in Q2 ?
How did you close the gap -- did you start guessing faster ? I tend to guess faster.

If so - what parameters do you use when choosing - when to skip or when NOT to skip ?

For example - i tend to immediately skip questions [SC/CR] which have a lot of text immediately (the moment, these heavy text SC or CR questions show up on the screen]. I don't even bother reading the text heavy questions. I just select (B) and move one

Furthermore, In Q4 - you were 5 mins behind. How did you make for those 5 mins lag ?
Did you skip any CR/ SC questions within 5 seconds ? I tend to do that when I am 5 mins behind in Q4. Did you do that as well ? If so - how did you decide, which CR or SC question to skip within 5 seconds.

Timing control is really a difficult task, jabhatta2. I am not sure whether I can give you satisfying answers, as I still had some difficulty in my last attempt. I also hope to improve my timing control next time.

How did I narrow the eight-min gap? Well, I just told myself "I really need to move on." I remember for some questions for which I had two final options, I kind of stopped struggling between the two and just selected one with intuition. Usually we never want to take GMAT with intuition, but I guess that is my best strategy when I get only two candidates under huge time pressure.

I remember that I had a bold-faced CR question in my latest attempt. Because usually I am pretty good with these bold-faced questions, I just skimmed the content, "had a feeling what the two sentences should be," and selected an option. Again, I want to stress that it should not be the correct method or mindset, just a strategy I NEEDED to take since I was seriously behind my timetable.

For about two CR questions with so heavy content that I felt I would need to spend two mins just in understanding the stems, I guessed immediately since I was behind my timetable. I think I also guessed one SC question immediately because it is almost as long as a CR question and has many words I don't know. Yet, I didn't skip any RC passages.

jabhatta2 wrote:
Just confirming - you took the real test 6 times ?
Could you go over score progression - did your score IMPROVE every time over the 6 times you took the test
How much gap do you recommend for preparation between each official GMAT test ?

Yes, I took the real test for six times, and this journey is not easy at all. :)

I almost wanted to give up after my third attempt, for which I got an even lower score than in my second attempt because I was too stressed that I even felt dizzy during the test. (Not in the figurative sense.)

Some people got their target scores at their first attempt, second attempt, or third attempt, and that is good for them.

I just did not want to give up and I decided to keep trying.

It is a cool test after all, you know, the kind of test I've pushed myself to be sharper and clearer along the way. Not some test I just need to memorize a bunch of things to pass.

As for the ideal length of gaps between two attempts, I think the answer is really subjective. There are some parts in the test we cannot control, such as the test center environment, the noise, the traffic, the guys sitting next to you, and so on. Sometimes we are inevitably affected by these factors, with our scores suffering or failing to meet our expectations. If a test taker retakes GMAT in a short break and is so lucky to avoid all these negative factors, he or she might get a better score and reaches his or her targets.

However, if a test taker aims for a great improvement, my personal and subjective opinion is that a short break (such as 15 days) is not enough, at least not enough for non-native speakers. After all, it is a reasoning test and it is all about our reasoning ability. In order to reason, we must at least understand the questions themselves and be able to detect the problems in their thinking lines. Great improvement in these abilities do take time.

That is all I can share for now. Thank you for your questions.

All the best and good luck to your studies!

Thank you so much GraceSCKao. Workload was heavy, which is why I took some time to revert

Quote:
Reviewing one passage took me at least 3 hours on average.

• This really is amazing and has given me motivation to analyze RC passages deeply
  • One issue is that I take too little time ‘analyzing’ verbal questions
  • Reviewing your CR posts – I can see that you take a LONG TIME to analyze every CR problem

Quote:
almost wanted to give up after my third attempt, for which I got an even lower score than in my second attempt because I was too stressed that I even felt dizzy during the test. (Not in the figurative sense.)

This made me cry. I feel your pain.. it is not easy
I feel like giving up ☹

Quote:
It is a cool test after all, you know, the kind of test I've pushed myself to be sharper and clearer along the way. Not some test I just need to memorize a bunch of things to pass

I agree
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Verbal scores dropped in the real test, what should I do? UPD: 730! [#permalink]
Quote:
One issue is that I take too little time ‘analyzing’ verbal questions

A quick tip would be to become very familiar with how INFERENCE questions work on GMAT Reading Comprehension. May help you more efficiently narrow your answer choices.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal scores dropped in the real test, what should I do? UPD: 730! [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts