Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Weird Verbal Scores on actual GMAT [#permalink]
Hi, I am a newbie around here and i would be sitting for my actual tests on 20th Aug.

The topic of the thread hit me and i was generally wondering if some common patterns could emerge from the lowest scores.
I have long held a belief that the performance in the last questions of the sections have the ability to seriously tank the score.
I would like to hear the pacing strategies and the actual test day performances , as i said , looking for some common patterns that we could all avoid.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I will repost something I posted back in February on this board. Want to make sure this isn't what is happening here.

We're seeing a pattern here on GMATClub. Several members have reported doing much below expectations on the Verbal section due to lack of sleep the night before. And IIRC a lot of these folks had their tests scheduled for 8am or something just as early.

Don't forget, the GMAT is as much a test of endurance as it is a test of basic management aptitude. It is essential you start getting used to your test day schedule 4-5 days in advance. If your test is scheduled for 8am, sleep by 9:30pm and take a few practice CAT's (fully timed, naturally, with both AWA's) at 8am to see how you perform at that time. We're all different individuals and I'm sure our levels of mental alertness aren't always conditioned to be super high that early in the day.

Avoid stressing out by cramming stuff the day before, my suggestion is to only review AWA templates and do nothing else. Avoid caffeine etc. anything that will throw your sleep cycle off. And finally, if you can help it, don't take 8am appointments unless you're a really early riser and are usually at school or work by that time.

And remember folks, a good 6-8 hours of sleep is essential otherwise, as the experience of several other members has shown, you may suffer a marked lack of concentration by the time you get to the Verbal section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
I agree with Solaris...as humans we try to look for patterns to make sense of things. We have scores we do not want..I'm with you folks. As I have said before I took the GMAT in June and scored a 660. I retook in August and got a 520. I racked my brain for a pattern or explanation for days. The fact is the test has not changed. GMAC would report such a thing. The only other possibility is that I changed. Now it is highly doubtful that I forgot everything I learned in a month or two after studying for a year. We must remember that GMAT is a state of a mind. I scored a 39V my first go around, and a 25V my second try. I'm a native English speaker, so something else must have changed. I could tell as I was going through the test the second time a "lack of concentration" and "drive" that I had the 1st time. I was burned out. Remember GMAT is a state of mind, and you'll get the score you want.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I guess my previous post was a bit confusing.

Please validate the following if u had a low score.
1. Did you rush through the last 8-10 questions so as to have bad accuracy.?
2. Did you spend too much time in the first 10-12 questions making sure u got them correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Why does it say the score ranges from 0 to 60? I thought it was 51...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
In theory it ranges from 0 to 60. In reality, max is 51.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools:INSEAD Class of July '10
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Hi all,

Just to add a little on the subject: I just took the GMAT this afternoon and I found the verbal part to be really in line compared to GMAT Prep. I even scored a little better than usual (46 where my practice scores where random between 38 and 45).

I know it doesn't help you much, but it is still another data point (and that's what lack sometimes in this kind of media since only people with good scores or those with deceiving ones post - I know I am no different than that but still).

Originally posted by Oski on 12 Aug 2008, 11:09.
Last edited by Oski on 12 Aug 2008, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Hate to be contrarian but I felt the prep verbal section to a be a very similar approximation, even though the real GMAT was all new material. I got a similar score too.

edit: oops, the above might not mean anything, I realized this thread is specifically about GMAT taken last month and onwards

Originally posted by Tarmac on 12 Aug 2008, 11:42.
Last edited by Tarmac on 12 Aug 2008, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
I just saw my friend's gmat report, and the verbal was 45... He took it about three weeks ago.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I took GMAT last week and I found it way too futher than the GMATprep and Manhattan Cats. I thought I was doing well because I though I was getting tougher questions, but the end score did not reflect that :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
Same Story here. I scored in the 93% in verbal a year ago (with a weak math) and got a 43% two days ago. I am consistently in the 91% 93% range in MGMAT and Powerprep. Sooo worried.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Is this WEIRD VERBAL score happening in some particular geographical location or every where?
Why don't you share your Test location..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Macedon wrote:
Same Story here. I scored in the 93% in verbal a year ago (with a weak math) and got a 43% two days ago. I am consistently in the 91% 93% range in MGMAT and Powerprep. Sooo worried.

Thats pathetic...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
I'm from Kazakhstan, GMT +6, I'm planning to retake in the middle of October. Now I try to refresh my body's health and physical state. My verbal score felt down V35 (2 months of prep), V30 (2,5 months of prep, was entirely self-confident, excellent pace during exam), V24 (1 week of prep, tired and exhausted, bad pace, lost focus).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Just a thought..
On few questions MGMAT or other tests uses very very wierd logics/reasons. Many times we follow many non official material for test preparation and get used to those kind of logics. So I can suggest that atleast a week before GMAT just focus on official GMAT material. That way on the actual test you can think like Test makers and may score better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,
I just took the test, and to my dismay I too scored verbal 27. I scored much less than my 1st Gmat score. quant looks ok 49.. I am thinking of taking it again. did any one took Gmat again after these strange verbal scores and scored higher...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Send PM
I've taken my gmat attempt 2 last saturday and scored 30 in verbal. My lowest score of all the GmatPreps and Manhattan gmat tests is 36. I'll be posting a detailed debrief soon. Overall I scored 650 (V:30 and Q:49), a 50 point improvement from my first attempt some 6 months back. I'm very disappointed for missing the 700 target.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts