Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
lol. You guys are awesome.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
adalfu wrote:
My theme is also about "history never repeats, but it surely rhymes."

Oh man I used a line in my essay that is almost exactly like that. Bummer. Doubt that will change anything but looks like our essays aren't as "unique" as we'd hoped.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
RFMBA2 wrote:
adalfu wrote:

Oh man I used a line in my essay that is almost exactly like that. Bummer. Doubt that will change anything but looks like our essays aren't as "unique" as we'd hoped.

pet peeve of mine....unique is binary. something's unique or it's not. you can't be sorta one-of-a-kind....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wharton Applicant Grammar Discussion [#permalink]
Jmw125 wrote:
RFMBA2 wrote:
adalfu wrote:

pet peeve of mine....unique is binary. something's unique or it's not. you can't be sorta one-of-a-kind....

That's exactly what I am saying. If unique is binary than our essays are no longer unique because there will be more than one with that line.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
RFMBA2 wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
RFMBA2 wrote:

That's exactly what I am saying. If unique is binary than our essays are no longer unique because there will be more than one with that line.

I already got into an argument with someone about what qualifies as a haiku so don't want to argue over a definition, but.....

you said "as 'unique'" meaning that it still had some degree of unique-ness....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:

I already got into an argument with someone about what qualifies as a haiku so don't want to argue over a definition, but.....

Either way it is a waste of time to argue about the word "unique." Bottom line is you know what I was trying to say, so if I offended you, sorry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
RFMBA2 wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

Either way it is a waste of time to argue about the word "unique." Bottom line is you know what I was trying to say, so if I offended you, sorry.

I wouldn't lose any sleep. He dropped his unique binary bomb on someone in the Harvard forum too.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
bpenn wrote:
RFMBA2 wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

I wouldn't lose any sleep. He dropped his unique binary bomb on someone in the Harvard forum too.

haha...that's why i said it's a pet peeve....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
lol you grammar nazi.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Quote:

SO WRONG! Let's say a widget has 10 attributes. Widget a, attribute 1 is unique. Widget b, attributes 1, 2, and 3 are unique. Widget b is "more unique" than widget a.

Likewise with their essays. In so far as their shared quote is concerned, they are now each less unique, ie, less of the essay is unique. I am sure each essay still has unique components. But they are less unique.

Anyways dude, sounds like you belong in law school, not an mba program. :wink:
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
dundundun wrote:
Quote:

SO WRONG! Let's say a widget has 10 attributes. Widget a, attribute 1 is unique. Widget b, attributes 1, 2, and 3 are unique. Widget b is "more unique" than widget a.

Likewise with their essays. In so far as their shared quote is concerned, they are now each less unique, ie, less of the essay is unique. I am sure each essay still has unique components. But they are less unique.

"Anyways dude, sounds like you belong in law school, not an mba program"...pot calling the kettle black?

Definition of unique:
–adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions

it's not additive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:
dundundun wrote:
Quote:

"Anyways dude, sounds like you belong in law school, not an mba program"...pot calling the kettle black?

Definition of unique:
–adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions

it's not additive

Wow, if you are going to just google "unique" and copy-paste the first definition you find, YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO EXCLUDE THE FIFTH BULLET THAT DISPROVES YOUR POINT.

–adjective
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Alright you guys, let's not crowd this thread with grammar wars. Let's keep it relevant to Wharton application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
dundundun wrote:
not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.

good counter. QED (?) :wink:

Anyways, please refer to Garner's Modern American Usage for the correct usage. This book is the authority on grammar and style. (I don't have a hard copy with me at work, but I believe it's perfectly okay to say "as unique" or "more unique" etc.) Style is always evolving, so it might be fine with that usage.

An example is the word "enthused." According to Shrunk & White, you should NEVER use that verb... instead use the more appropriate form with the adj "enthusiastic." But in today's world, I see that verb all the time!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
Alright you guys, let's not crowd this thread with grammar wars. Let's keep it relevant to Wharton application.

Agreed with w103psp. It's all subjective semantics. Let's keep the grammar pissing contest elsewhere please and discuss Wharton-relevant topics.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Quote:
Many authors of usage guides, editors, teachers, and others feel strongly that such “absolute” words as complete, equal, perfect, and especially unique cannot be compared because of their “meaning”: a word that denotes an absolute condition cannot be described as denoting more or less than that absolute condition. However, all such words have undergone semantic development and are used in a number of senses, some of which can be compared by words like more, very, most, absolutely, somewhat, and totally and some of which cannot.
The earliest meanings of unique when it entered English around the beginning of the 17th century were “single, sole” and “having no equal.” By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, “not typical, unusual,” and it is in this wider sense that it is compared: The foliage on the late-blooming plants is more unique than that on the earlier varieties. The comparison of so-called absolutes in senses that are not absolute is standard in all varieties of speech and writing.

Welcome to the 21st century, Jmw125! :)
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
staind wrote:
Quote:
Many authors of usage guides, editors, teachers, and others feel strongly that such “absolute” words as complete, equal, perfect, and especially unique cannot be compared because of their “meaning”: a word that denotes an absolute condition cannot be described as denoting more or less than that absolute condition. However, all such words have undergone semantic development and are used in a number of senses, some of which can be compared by words like more, very, most, absolutely, somewhat, and totally and some of which cannot.
The earliest meanings of unique when it entered English around the beginning of the 17th century were “single, sole” and “having no equal.” By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, “not typical, unusual,” and it is in this wider sense that it is compared: The foliage on the late-blooming plants is more unique than that on the earlier varieties. The comparison of so-called absolutes in senses that are not absolute is standard in all varieties of speech and writing.

Welcome to the 21st century, Jmw125! :)

guess i'm old fashioned....
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2