Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 01:43 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What's your vote?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72930 [0]
Given Kudos: 18876
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Wharton vs Booth vs MIT Sloan [#permalink]
Kudos
Appreciate everyone's inputs. After much deliberation I've decided to go with Wharton for a few reasons. The first is the geographic proximity of Wharton to DC makes it much easier to travel and continue networking with the large number of students here in DC. The second is the size and breadth of experience at Wharton both in the student cohort and the staff. I think that diversity of experience will help me find my niche. My concern with MIT was with the smaller cohort I might miss exposure to some areas and might get pigeon holed into a certain direction when I haven't fully developed an idea of what I'm going to do. The third is the fact that while I may not be interested in working in finance, finance is a key aspect of any company so Wharton's reputation in the finance realm will help me establish bonafides in the private sector.

For those of you considering doing something similar (EMBA while on active duty) I will be using the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon to cover the majority of the costs. I have also applied to military centric scholarships to help me cover the remaining balance of the tuition. In the end I'll likely have to pay about $20k which is a bargain for a world class education.

Thanks again everyone.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations and amazing job getting the tuition covered for EMBA. Outside of company sponsorships, it is very hard to find funding for these.
Thank you for reporting back on your choice and congratulations on joining a truly world-class program! As this weekend is proving, there are advantages in car/train vs. air transport on some occasions!

P.S. Unsolicited advice here so take it for what it's worth. I was in the boat of not knowing exactly what I wanted to do during/before my MBA and I thought that going through the MBA will help me identify these key aspects/elements that would help me make up my mind and help me choose a role or industry. That turned out to be a wishful thinking but I had no clue. how would I know, right? Going through 2 years of the MBA did not really help me zero in any more so than I was before the program. The only difference I saw/noticed was the roles that my classmates were recruiting into and I saw areas that were easier to recruit but not what I wanted to do per se. Also, school was busy, and I had a part time job to help pay for it, so I had VERY LITTLE time to do soul-searching. 5 hours of sleep was a luxury at that time.

My suggestion would be to spend the time you have now before the program starts to get as exact and precise as you can get in the role, industry, and even down to the company you want to work at. It may sound stupid and limiting - I know. I had the exact same thoughts. However, I was wrong. When you network, and meet people, and tell them you will be looking for a job, if you would be like me and say "I am looking for a job in Finance, or Maybe Product management, or maybe something exciting, etc, etc" this sounds like I am not really serious and I have not put in my time and work into it to figure out what I want to do, and If I have not put in the work, then why would anyone put in time to help me with something I may change my mind about? On the other hand, if I say, I am looking for finance roles in tech sector, and specifically targeting Microsoft, then suddenly I look very focused and determined. Moreover, while my conversation partner may not have a job to offer me, they may know someone close to them in Microsoft, who may not be even working in Finance, but they can connect me to them and start the conversation going, and refer me. Any time you network without a very clear target is an opportunity missed...

P.P.S. Veteran groups are going to be immensely helpful in your case. They are all good guys but sometimes rough around the edges but as long as you are open and interested, the veteran's group will get you a job. Veterans are often the first ones to get jobs out of MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi,
all of these financial solutions are for US citizens only?

TNS13151 wrote:
Appreciate everyone's inputs. After much deliberation I've decided to go with Wharton for a few reasons. The first is the geographic proximity of Wharton to DC makes it much easier to travel and continue networking with the large number of students here in DC. The second is the size and breadth of experience at Wharton both in the student cohort and the staff. I think that diversity of experience will help me find my niche. My concern with MIT was with the smaller cohort I might miss exposure to some areas and might get pigeon holed into a certain direction when I haven't fully developed an idea of what I'm going to do. The third is the fact that while I may not be interested in working in finance, finance is a key aspect of any company so Wharton's reputation in the finance realm will help me establish bonafides in the private sector.

For those of you considering doing something similar (EMBA while on active duty) I will be using the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon to cover the majority of the costs. I have also applied to military centric scholarships to help me cover the remaining balance of the tuition. In the end I'll likely have to pay about $20k which is a bargain for a world class education.

Thanks again everyone.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
US Military specifically. You don't have to be a citizen to serve actually but my guess would not be applicable in any case for most.

miko2010 wrote:
Hi,
all of these financial solutions are for US citizens only?

TNS13151 wrote:

Thanks again everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts