GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:28) correct 46% (00:58) wrong based on 193 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000?

(1) 55% of steel workers in the country have an annual income over $37000

(2) 12% of steel workers in the country with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: what percentage of steel workers in the country earns over  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2014, 01:57
aashu4uiit wrote:
I am replying to old post but I also got confused in this question :

Is it " with " which makes the difference

2)12% of steel workers in the country with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000

The question is asking : earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000?

B says : with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000

So isn't B correct ?

What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000?

(1) 55% of steel workers in the country have an annual income over $37000. We don't know what percentage of those 55% has a net worth over $200,000. Not sufficient.

(2) 12% of steel workers in the country with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000. 12% of those who have an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000. We don't know what percentage have an annual income over $37000. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 55% have an annual income over $37000 and 12% of those 55%, so 6.6%, earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
S
What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 21:42
One great way to look at this problem is to visualize it as a Venn Diagram. We have two overlapping groups: those steel workers who make over $37,000 annually (I will call them group “\(A\)”), and those who have a net worth above $200,000 (I will call them group “\(B\)”). There is an overlap between the groups, containing people who meet both criteria. I will call them group “\(M\)”. There is technically also a “neither” group (“\(N\)”): steel workers who do not meet either of the criteria. The total number of steel workers \((T) = A + B + N – M\). (Remember, when you add overlapping groups, you double count the mixed group, \(M\).)

The target for this problem is the percentage of steel workers who meet both criteria. (Notice the critical leverage word “also.”) This percentage is calculated by knowing the mixed group, \(M\), and dividing it by \(T\). Thus, we need to find a numerical value for \(\frac{M}{T}\).

Statement #1 tells us that 55% of all the steel workers in the country (\(T\)) fit into group \(A\). Mathematically, this means that \(A = (.55)T\). However, we cannot manipulate this equation to solve for \(\frac{M}{T}\), since it gives us no information on the mixed group, \(M\). Statement #1 is insufficient.

Statement #2 tells us that 12% of the steel workers with an annual income over $37,000 also have a net worth above $200,000. (Once again, notice the critical leverage word “also.”) Mathematically, this means that \((.12)A=M\). Again, this equation alone does not allow us to calculate \(\frac{M}{T}\), since it gives us no information on the total group, \(T\). Statement #2 is insufficient by itself.

However, when we substitute the first equation into the second equation, we get the equation \((.12)*(.55)*T = M\). There is no reason to do any more math, because it is easy to see that we can solve this combined equation for the term \(\frac{M}{T}\). The two statements together are sufficient, and the answer is C.

It might be worth noting here that we never actually able to solve for the individual values for \(M\) and \(T\). We don’t have to. We can solve for a chunk of an equation without needing to know the individual components. This is a concept I call “Chunky-quations” in my classes. The GMAT often gets you to assume that you need to know each piece, instead of just looking for a combined value. This is a classic GMAT trap.

Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite-Level Instructor

Hit "+1 Kudos" if my post helped you understand the GMAT better.
Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

General Discussion
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2007, 01:31
ughm

it asks you for % of workers >37k & networth >200k

B gives you that.

of steel workers, 12% who have income >37k also have networth over 200k

oh OOPS

you need both, you dont know what % the people who earn >37k are of the population

hence C)

gay
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 18:33

2)12% of steel workers in the country with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000

The question is asking : earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000?

So isn't B correct ?

If you like my post Kudos Please

Manager
Manager
Re: What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2014, 08:31
:) Great Thanks

Now I got the logic

If you like my post Kudos Please

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2014, 08:20
Bunuel wrote:
aashu4uiit wrote:

So isn't B correct ?

(1) 55% of steel workers in the country have an annual income over $37000. We don't know what percentage of those 55% has a net worth over $200,000. Not sufficient.

(2) 12% of steel workers in the country with an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000. 12% of those who have an annual income over $37000 also have net worth above $200,000. We don't know what percentage have an annual income over $37000. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 55% have an annual income over $37000 and 12% of those 55%, so 6.6%, earns over $37000 annually and has a net worth over $200,000. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Curious wording, Bunnel!
The rest of the 45% workers with annual income under 37K could still have a net worth of over 200K
I mean there never was an established connection between Annual income and Net worth
I maybe thinking too much, but it's a tempting perspective under test pressure
Intern
Intern
D: M
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 20:37
Curious wording, Bunnel!
The rest of the 45% workers with annual income under 37K could still have a net worth of over 200K
I mean there never was an established connection between Annual income and Net worth

Why would we consider the remaining 45 % ? we are to find those who earn 37000 and has networth above 200k
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 05:22
Kconfused wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
aashu4uiit wrote:

So isn't B correct ?

Hope it's clear.

Curious wording, Bunnel!

The question asks about the percentage of workers who earns over $37000 annually AND, at the same time, has a net worth over $200,000.

We know that 55% earn over 37K, and that 12% of them have a net worth over 200K. Therefore 0.55*0.12 = 6.6% both earn over 37K AND have a net worth over 200K.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $ &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2014, 05:22

What percentage of steel workers in the country earns over $

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap