Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619272 [290]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619272 [93]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [14]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. Whic [#permalink]
I am not clear with the solution.

nk+4 = 24
nk = 20

if k=1, n=20
if k=2, n=10
if k=4, n=05

But why are we not considering the following cases too:
if k=5, n=04
if k=10, n=02
if k=20, n=01

Please clarify my doubt.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. Whic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. Which of the following statements about n must be true?

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

We are given that when 24 is divided by n, the remainder is 4. Thus, we see that n can be 5, 10, or 20.

Of the answer choices, we see that n must be a multiple of 5 or a factor of 20.

Answer: D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. Whic [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
shankey_sehgal@yahoo.com wrote:

nk+4 = 24
nk = 20

if k=1, n=20
if k=2, n=10
if k=4, n=05

if k=5, n=04
if k=10, n=02
if k=20, n=01

Please clarify my doubt.

When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. Which of the following statements about n must be true?

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4:

24 = qn + 4, where q is a quotient, n is a divisor and 4 is the remainder. Notice that the remainder is always less than the divisor, so n > 4.

qn = 20.

q = 1 and n = 20.

q = 2 and n = 10.

q = 4 and n = 5.

Answer: D.

Bunuel hello :)

one question, if \(q = 1\) and \(n = 20\), then it means that \(n\) is even, why then first option (I. n is even ) is not correct :? we divide by even \(n\) which is \(20\) and remainder is \(4\), so my question why to exclude option one in which \(n\) is even :? :)

thank you and have a good day :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619272 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

nk+4 = 24
nk = 20

if k=1, n=20
if k=2, n=10
if k=4, n=05

if k=5, n=04
if k=10, n=02
if k=20, n=01

Please clarify my doubt.

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

24 = qn + 4, where q is a quotient, n is a divisor and 4 is the remainder. Notice that the remainder is always less than the divisor, so n > 4.

qn = 20.

q = 1 and n = 20.

q = 2 and n = 10.

q = 4 and n = 5.

Bunuel hello :)

one question, if \(q = 1\) and \(n = 20\), then it means that \(n\) is even, why then first option (I. n is even ) is not correct :? we divide by even \(n\) which is \(20\) and remainder is \(4\), so my question why to exclude option one in which \(n\) is even :? :)

thank you and have a good day :)

The question asks which of the following MUST be true not COULD be true. n is not necessarily even, it could also be odd (n = 5).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
what about 15 - multiple of 5 which gives remainder = 9 . why no one is considering 15 integer.

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

We are given that when 24 is divided by n, the remainder is 4. Thus, we see that n can be 5, 10, or 20.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
In this question, we are trying to find out which statement ‘Must be true’ or always true. If a statement has to always be true, it has to hold true whatever case you take. Even if it fails on one, it means that the statement is not always true.

This is the basis for our strategy for ‘Must be true’ questions. We always try to make a statement FALSE, by taking simple cases and eliminate options. Whatever option is left should be the answer. However, in this question, we can actually solve the entire question based on concepts and won’t have to take recourse to cases. Let’s see how we can do that.

When 24 is divided by the positive integer n, the remainder is 4. This means, we can write 24 in terms of n as follows:
24 = n*k + 4, where k is the quotient in the division process. Remember that when you have the remainder given, the quotient will always be an integral value. Therefore, k is an integer.

Re-arranging the terms of the equation above, we have n*k = 20. This means that n is a factor of the number 20. So, the possible values for n are 1, 2, 4, 5, 10 and 20.
But, when 24 was divided by n, the remainder was 4. This means that the value of n should be more than 4 since the remainder cannot be more than the divisor ever.
Therefore, n can only be 5 or 10 or 20. As you see, when you divide 24 by any of these three numbers, the remainder will be 4.

From this, we can say that statement I is not always true since 5 is not even. But, clearly, statement II is definitely true since all of 5, 10 and 20 are multiples of 5.

Coming to statement III, this is something we established during our analysis of the question stem, isn’t it. So, statement III has to be true.

The correct answer option is D.

Hope that helps!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nit99 wrote:
what about 15 - multiple of 5 which gives remainder = 9 . why no one is considering 15 integer.

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

24/15 = 1 remainder 9, not remainder 4. That is why we do not consider 15.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
if 24 is divided by 28, a positive integer, the remainder should be 4. There is no specification that n is greater or smaller than 24. So why haven't we considered this option?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
karantambat wrote:
if 24 is divided by 28, a positive integer, the remainder should be 4. There is no specification that n is greater or smaller than 24. So why haven't we considered this option?

If 24 is divided by 28, the remainder is 28 and not 4 as 28 does not divide 24 at all. However, if 28 is divided by 24 then the remainder would be 4 as 24 divides 28 once and leaves 4 as the remainder. Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
karantambat wrote:

In a fraction x/y, if x is less than y, the remainder is x.

If 24 is divided by 28, the remainder is 24.

Arun Kumar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Is this really a level 700 question?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619272 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
yannichc wrote:
Is this really a level 700 question?

In the first post, you can find information about the difficulty level and user statistics of a question. For this particular question, its difficulty level is 700-Level. The system calculates the difficulty level based on the timer statistics of users who attempted the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

nk+4 = 24
nk = 20

if k=1, n=20
if k=2, n=10
if k=4, n=05

if k=5, n=04
if k=10, n=02
if k=20, n=01

Please clarify my doubt.

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

qn = 20.

q = 1 and n = 20.

q = 2 and n = 10.

q = 4 and n = 5.

can you pls explain; if N is 5 then III wouldn't be correct because 5 isn't a factor of 20. and the question says must be true? so wouldn't only II be correct?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619272 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaydavido wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

nk+4 = 24
nk = 20

if k=1, n=20
if k=2, n=10
if k=4, n=05

if k=5, n=04
if k=10, n=02
if k=20, n=01

Please clarify my doubt.

I. n is even
II. n is a multiple of 5
III. n is a factor of 20

A) III only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

qn = 20.

q = 1 and n = 20.

q = 2 and n = 10.

q = 4 and n = 5.

can you pls explain; if N is 5 then III wouldn't be correct because 5 isn't a factor of 20. and the question says must be true? so wouldn't only II be correct?

An integer a is a factor of an integer b if a/b is an integer. Since 20/5 is an integer, it can be concluded that 5 is indeed a factor of 20 (20 = 5*4). Positive factors of 20 are 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, and 20.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts