Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: When to stop reviewing essays? [#permalink]
fall09 wrote:
NJMike4MBA wrote:
fall09 wrote:
I want to keep reviewing my essays.How do I determine a point where I can stop reviewing?

How many times have you reviewed and how close to the deadline are you? You'll never (even after submitting) read your essays and not think of something to change. If you've reviewed them several times, and gotten others' reviews, I would suggest not looking at them again until tomorrow. Then read one last time and hit submit. Don't get into the paralysis of analysis.

I reviewed them many times.Also got them reviewed by others.I have a 10 days more for my deadline.

I'd say stop looking at them for a day or two then so the next time you'll see them with fresh eyes. Then one last review and be done with them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
fall09 wrote:
I want to keep reviewing my essays.How do I determine a point where I can stop reviewing?

I'd say about the time you start posting threads asking when to stop reviewing them... :wink: :wink:

Just kidding of course. I think this is a pretty valid question, as I kept reviewing mine right up until the deadline for my schools.

Here is how I made the decision to stop -

1. Do I have other essays I need to be working on? Essays that need more work? If yes, then I stop spending time reviewing and move onto those essays.

2. When I read my essays am I making extremely small trivial changes? If yes, then I usually allow myself one read through to make small small changes, and then put it aside. Reading it over and over and making very small changes each time doesn't really lead to a better essay (in my opinion). Your essays are going to be judged on a larger scale than that, and these small changes often don't add or subtract anything at all substantial from the essay.

Best of luck!

~Sam
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
I'd say stop looking at them for a day or two then so the next time you'll see them with fresh eyes. Then one last review and be done with them.

Above point is valid. However, just like diminishing return curve in micro-econ, there's only so much one can do by themselves.

It helps when you ask someone else with fresh unbiased perspective to review your essays.

For example, all my essays were read/edited/critiqued by my poor girlfriend....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Quote:
2. When I read my essays am I making extremely small trivial changes? If yes, then I usually allow myself one read through to make small small changes, and then put it aside. Reading it over and over and making very small changes each time doesn't really lead to a better essay (in my opinion). Your essays are going to be judged on a larger scale than that, and these small changes often don't add or subtract anything at all substantial from the essay.

Like Sam said, if you've reached the point where you're doing just minor tweaky edits, move on.

For me, I stopped working on my essays about three days before they were due. Then the day before they were due, I did one last read through. During that I checked for grammar/spelling, right school name, right professor names, formatting. It was helpful because for a couple of the essays, I found some awkward sentences and transitions that I was able to correct before I submitted.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Like Sam said, if you've reached the point where you're doing just minor tweaky edits, move on.

I agree, if you're only making minor tweaks move on to the next school, you might get some more ideas. The other applications might give you other ideas that you can incorporate. Take a last edit two days before and you should be in good shape.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Here are three indicators I use:

1. If you're just changing a word here and there, stop and move on.
2. Always leave the essay alone for 2-3 days before you submit, and do a final look through before you submit. Fresh eyes help a lot!
3. If you have time, work on other schools before you submit your original one, then come back and look at the essays. You'd be amazed at how much you can change then.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot