Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink]
I think it would be exponentially easier to find employment in the research triangle as opposed to Hanover.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Definitely not an expert on this one, but when I went to interview at Tuck, I was surprised at the exclusivity of Dartmouth, in terms of location. I, too, think that it'll be much harder for your wife to find a decent job at Hanover, as opposed to the research triangle.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
As someone who is married herself, I have to say Duke. While the Tuck culture may be appealing to you personally, this decision is not just yours; you have to think about your spouse as well. I haven't been to Tuck, but from what everyone is saying, it is extremely isolated. You have to consider worse case scenario...i.e. your spouse doesn't find work and is stuck at home bored with nothing to do. I know that if it was my husband who was at Tuck and I was in Hanover unemployed, I would probably make his life a living nightmare (I'm not even kidding). At least at Duke (I have visited the campus before), you have family nearby and there are opportunities for your spouse to work.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks! My husband has a masters in education, so he could actually do education research thru Dartmouth, but obviously it would be better to find a real teaching position! The partners club is supposed to be really great, plus he loves to ski, but overall seems like Duke makes the most sense. Always good to hear what you were already thinking :) Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ljh02 wrote:
Hi everyone. Hoping for some guidance: I've been super fortunate to be accepted to both Fuqua and Tuck. Want to do marketing, probably CPG or maybe strategic planning. Will be bringing a spouse who will need to find a job. Also, family ties are in the south. All of which point to Duke; however, the Tuck culture is really calling to me! The small class size and tight-knit community are right up my alley. Unfortunately, both school's ASW are the same weekend this year. No scholarship at either (wish that would have made the decision for me!) Thoughts?

While i Love Tuck, Duke is a much stronger school for CPG'S. It is a highly ranked school for marketing and all CPG companies go there. Kraft, P&g, Johnson & Johnson, etc... They have a real strong marketing program. I applied to both schools. They both have a tight knit community. I was really impressed with how the alumni was really helpful. I want to get into CPG and i have been in touch with one of the alumni for that purpose. I have not even received my decision from duke but the alumni is assisting me out... i was really impressed with the school...

I love Tuck too. But not a strong marketing school. Its a good school for consulting, investments, P.E.
GMAT Club Bot