Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consultant
Schools:HBS '10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The toughest ones are the schools with essays that never change from year to year.... like Harvard and Stanford among others.

They've read thousands of these essays year in, year out. They've seen it answered from every possible angle. It's hard to wow them in that way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Chicago's PPT essay is deceptive. Sound interesting and all, but it's really hard to do.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
I think Chicago's PPT essay is deceptive. Sound interesting and all, but it's really hard to do.

I agree, from the first idea to the final result I really took a month. Off course I was doing other things together...

But the Stanford essay A is by far the hardest I've seen...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
CBS essay # 2... it was a classic WTF

Darden... .3 choices... and some really interesting choices

UCLA/ Duke... family/ diversity essay. There is no way you can predict whether you are right or wrong

Cornell.... writing essays in 400 words.. nothing is as lopsided or ridiculous when you have to force every thought into 400 words.,...and add to that a 35% increase in apps, no end to the "waiting for review" app status and evil emails about blog reading invites....I vote for Cornell
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
MIT. Very specific, pretty short, and the questions can overlap so you have to be very clear during your writing. They say that they want experiences from the last two years unless its something life altering.

Pretty much everyone who applied there said the were the worst. I have met a few people who didn't apply because they didnt think they woudl be able to put a good set of essays together because of the question.

That said if you are applying to Kellogg, start there. They cover all the ground other essays build off of and they aren't too short or too long so you can expand them for the 1500 word essays or edit them for th 500 word essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anyday Stanford Essay A is the toughest. if one can spend enough time and get this essay right, all the other essays feel like a walk in the park.

After doing Stanford application, I am now motivated to doing Harvard essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
CBS essay # 2... it was a classic WTF

Darden... .3 choices... and some really interesting choices

UCLA/ Duke... family/ diversity essay. There is no way you can predict whether you are right or wrong

Cornell.... writing essays in 400 words.. nothing is as lopsided or ridiculous when you have to force every thought into 400 words.,...and add to that a 35% increase in apps, no end to the "waiting for review" app status and evil emails about blog reading invites....I vote for Cornell

I vote for CBS #2 ...I changed it inside out zillion times for 2 months ....
Darden's questions just fit my profile really well ..so had a nice time completing them !
and Duke's family question turned me off, so much so, that I dropped it from my R1 list ..:(
And Cornell . ,,man I can relate to every bit of what you say for Cornell ..from essays to waiting and what not ..:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
my suggestion is to follow Kyrzak's example if you have time. Finish one set (either HBS/Kellogg since they cover most of the topics) and then move on to the rest. Then come back and revise your first set.

Wow, an endorsement! Yay! Thanks shmegs! (I will get you the $20 I promised you when I come back, hee hee ...) :lol:

Anyway, for me, "What matters most" from Stanford was the hardest by far. After that one, I really understood my life motivations and was able to use the self discovery to revise my other essays.

I am glad I am not applying to MIT or HBS, as those essays sound difficult too!

The ironic thing is, I will be doing Kellogg last, but I think with Haas, Stanford, and UCLA, I have most of the topics of Kellogg covered.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]