Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33014 [12]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [6]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: While eyes with lenses have developed independently in a diverse group [#permalink]
Question 1:

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. discuss the variety of evolutionary paths taken by the eye
B. examine the visual process of mammals
C. demonstrate the color-adaptability of certain animals
D. portray the function of eye curvature in predatory birds
E. indicate the range of knowledge about vision

My answer is A
Other options discuss specific subjects of passage but not as a whole or out of topic.

Question 2:
2. It can be inferred from the passage that eyesight in predatory birds developed

A. according to the variety of thickness of membranes that surround the eye
B. to support the different mechanisms required for viewing objects at different distances
C. in a way that aids in the hunting of prey
D. to allow for the primary feature of color differentiation
E. as a means of choosing an attractive mate

My answer is C
A ..Passage does not mention about thickness of cornea around the eye for birds
B ..This is mentioned for Human Beings
D ..There is no mention of birds for this feature
E ..This is not mentioned .

3. According to the passage, the focusing process of fish differs from that of predatory birds in that for fish the process involves

A. the movement of the lens closer to the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the lens itself
B. the movement of the lens away from the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves the movement of the lens closer to the cornea
C. the movement of the eyes from the side to the front of the head, whereas in predatory birds process does not involve eye movement
D. changes in color perception, whereas in predatory birds the process does not require color perception
E. changes in the distance between the lens and the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the cornea

My answer is E

A. first part is correct ,but in birds it is changes in curvature of cornea but not lens
B. In fishes, the movement of the lens is closer to the retina
C. Wrong conclusion for both birds and fishes.
D. No mention of Color Perception for birds and fishes .

4. According to the passage, if a mammal were to focus on an approaching object, an examination of its eyes would reveal

A. an increasing corneal curvature
B. a thinning of the transparent membrane surrounding the cornea
C. an increasing curvature of the lens
D. an increasing lens-retina distance ratio
E. a broadening of the lens

My Answer is C

A. For birds there would be a change in corneal curvature but not for mammals.
B. Not mentioned for mammals.
D. Not mentioned for mammals in passage.
E. Broadening the curvature of lens, but not lens itself.

Question 5.
5. According to the passage, some teleost possess which of the following?

I. Eyes with lenses
II. Binocular vision
III. The ability to perceive color

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

My Answer is C.

For some teleost or bony fish ,the ability to distinguish color is mentioned in passage ,but then in previous passage it is mentioned that fishes have eyes with lens.
Also there is no mention about BV in fishes .So eliminating statement 2.
If the teleost can distinguish color then it can be assumed that ,it can perceive color I suppose.

Question 6.
6. The description of color reception in the second paragraph relies on which of the following assumptions?

A. Reliable tests exist for determining an animal's ability to perceive color.
B. Honeybees do not need to perceive color in order to survive.
C. Teleost and primates perceive colors in a similar manner.
D. Color reception requires the ability to focus on distant objects.
E. Most animals are capable of perceiving certain colors.

My Answer is A

A. If I negate A ,reliable tests does not exist for determining an animal's ability to perceive color. If so , this weakens conclusion in second paragraph.
B. Honeybees are only color-blind to red. So even if I negate B ,conclusion is still valid.
C. Need not be true.
D. Not relation is mentioned in passage.
E. Too generic. If I negate ,conclusion is still valid.

Question 7.
7. The passage is most likely an excerpt from

A. an academic paper
B. a biology textbook
C. a journal for optometrists
D. a wildlife field guide
E. a newspaper article about color blindness

My Answer is C
This passage mentions about some evolutions in some features of eyes in fishes, birds ,mammals.
The tone is generic and focus is mostly on eyes and its behavior .
So I think A cannot be the answer as it mentions about different facts and features that are evolved over a period(Generic )
B and C are close ,but I chose C as it is particularly about eyes and it is specific to that.
D&E are irrelevant and too specific.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Human Resources
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: While eyes with lenses have developed independently in a diverse group [#permalink]

A. discuss the variety of evolutionary paths taken by the eye
B. examine the visual process of mammals
C. demonstrate the color-adaptability of certain animals
D. portray the function of eye curvature in predatory birds
E. indicate the range of knowledge about vision
- it can inferred from line 1-2 that eye is developed independently in diverse group but their process of focusing differs.

2.It can be inferred from the passage that eyesight in predatory birds developed

B. to support the different mechanisms required for viewing objects at different distances
C. in a way that aids in the hunting of prey- infer from line 3-"Predatory birds have developed a way of keeping their prey in focus while sweeping down on it"
D. to allow for the primary feature of color differentiation

3. According to the passage, the focusing process of fish differs from that of predatory birds in that for fish the process involves

A.the movement of the lens closer to the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the lens itself
B. the movement of the lens away from the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves the movement of the lens closer to the cornea
C. the movement of the eyes from the side to the front of the head, whereas in predatory birds process does not involve eye movement
D. changes in color perception, whereas in predatory birds the process does not require color perception
E. changes in the distance between the lens and the retina, whereas in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the cornea- Infer from the (lines 2-4)

4- 4. According to the passage, if a mammal were to focus on an approaching object, an examination of its eyes would reveal

A. an increasing corneal curvature
B. a thinning of the transparent membrane surrounding the cornea
C. an increasing curvature of the lens- Infer from lines (6-7)
D. an increasing lens-retina distance ratio
E. a broadening of the lens

5- According to the passage, some teleost possess which of the following?

I. Eyes with lenses
II. Binocular vision
III. The ability to perceive color

A. None
B. I and II only
C.I and III only- Binocular vision, evolution is for mammals and humans as per passage
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

6-The description of color reception in the second paragraph relies on which of the following assumptions?

A. Reliable tests exist for determining an animal's ability to perceive color.
B. Honeybees do not need to perceive color in order to survive.
C. Teleost and primates perceive colors in a similar manner.- infer from line 12-14
D. Color reception requires the ability to focus on distant objects.
E. Most animals are capable of perceiving certain colors.

7-. The passage is most likely an excerpt from

A. an academic paper
B. a biology textbook-it can be inferred as it is providing knowledge about the focusing process differ in diverse group of animal species.
D. a wildlife field guide
E. a newspaper article about color blindness
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33014 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Competition mode is off now.

OAs are:

ACECCAB

Well done! ElninoEffect 9/10

zhanbo 8/10

vijayram2496 6/10
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
Words: 191
Read Time: 3 mins
Paragraph Structure: a phenomenon (Working of lens in different species), discussion by examples.
Paraphrasing:
Para 1:
While eyes with lenses have developed independently in a diverse group of animal species, focusing processes differ, enables brain to fuse images into single 3D image. Example in fish, in Predatory birds, and in mammals etc
Para 2:
Colour reception also evolved at regular interval independently, example in honeybees, some teleost or bony fish, and few other mammal species such as humans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned in the passage,
Statement 1: While eyes with lenses have developed independently in a diverse group of animal species, focusing processes differ
Statement 2:Color reception also evolved independently, albeit intermittently
Correct Option: A. discuss the variety of evolutionary paths taken by the eye - correct

Eliminate other options, as they are irrelevant, as not mentioned in the passage.
B. (examine) the visual process of mammals
C. (demonstrate) the colour-adaptability of certain animals
D. (portray) the function of eye curvature in predatory birds
E. (indicate) the range of knowledge about vision

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. It can be inferred from the passage that eyesight in predatory birds developed
Predatory birds have developed a way of keeping their prey in focus
while sweeping down on it: instead of the lens moving, the curvature of the cornea, the flexible transparent membrane covering the lens and supporting the eyeball, changes

Correct Option: C. in a way that aids in the hunting of prey

Wrongits not variety of thickness of membranes, it’s the flexible transparent membrane covering the lens and supporting the eyeball, that changes, anyways it is not the reason of eyesight development.
WrongOut of scope, no mechanism discussed in the passage.
D. to allow for the primary feature of colour differentiation
Wrongpassage discuss about colour differentiation only about bees, fish, and humans, not about birds, out of scope, as it is not mentioned in the passage
Wrong Out of scope, Not mentioned in the passage.

Statement 1:In fish, the whole lens moves closer to the retina when focusing on objects that are far away
Statement 2: “In Predatory birds in process of catching prey, the lens moving, the curvature of the cornea, the flexible transparent membrane covering the [lens and supporting the eyeball, changes].”
Correct Option: E. changes in the distance between the lens and the retina, whereas (Correct)
in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the cornea (Correct)

A. the movement of the lens closer to the retina, whereas (Correct)
in predatory birds the process involves changes in the curvature of the [lens itself] (Wrong) – Trap!, its in mammals.

B. the movement of the lens away from the retina, whereas (Wrong)
in predatory birds the process involves the movement of the lens closer to the cornea (Wrong)

C. the movement of the eyes from the side to the front of the head, whereas (Wrong)
in predatory birds process does not involve eye movement (Wrong)

D. changes in colour perception, whereas (Wrong)
in predatory birds the process does not require colour perception (Wrong)

4. According to the passage,
if a mammal were to focus on an approaching object,
an examination of its eyes would reveal

as mentioned in the passage,
Mammals, including humans, have evolved a method of
focusing by [changing the curvature of the lens itself] — decreasing it for distant objects and increasing it for close ones

Correct Option: C. an increasing curvature of the lens

A. an increasing corneal curvature ((Wrong) – it changes)
B. a thinning of the transparent membrane surrounding the cornea ((Wrong) – it is in birds)
D. an increasing lens-retina distance ratio ((Wrong) – it is fixed)
E. a broadening of the lens ((Wrong) – Irrelevant)

5. According to the passage, some teleost possess which of the following?
Statement 1:In fish, the whole lens moves closer to the retina when focusing on objects that are far away
Statement 2:Experiments have shown that some teleost, or bony fish, can distinguish colours
I. Eyes with lenses
II. Binocular vision
III. The ability to perceive colour

Correct option: C. I and III only

6. The description of colour reception in the second paragraph relies on which of the following assumptions?

As mentioned in the passage, “Experiments has shown,” correctly indicates
Correct Option :A. Reliable tests exist for determining an animal's ability to perceive colour.

Eliminate B, and C and E – as based on them,
no assumption can be done, and this are only examples to highlight certain experiments.
B. Honeybees do not need to perceive colour in order to survive.
C. Teleost and primates perceive colours in a similar manner.
E. Most animals are capable of perceiving certain colours.

D. Color reception requires the ability to focus on distant objects (Wrong) out of scope, as this is not mentioned in the passage

7. The passage is most likely an excerpt from

A. an academic paper – Deals with research, innovations, advance solution, or technical details of field (Wrong)
B. a biology textbook – Correct – Deals with basic information, for ease to understand to targeted audience highlights well with examples, no open to discussion topic to make readers confuse
C. a journal for optometrists (Wrong) Deals with a particular subject of only optometrists activity
D. a wildlife field guide(Wrong) Wildlife is a big range, as particularly only about this passage, it is out of scope, as no information about wildlife is been discussed.
E. a newspaper article about color blindness (Wrong), colour blindness in passage, only highlights about honeybees, and honeybees no comparison is done with rest species mentioned in the passage.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts