Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:05 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619809 [1]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: While on a family vacation in a national park, Carson, who is training [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
While on a family vacation in a national park, Carson, who is training for a long distance running race, leaves the family RV, runs 6 miles to a ranger camp, rests for a while, then runs 8 more miles. At this point, which of the following could be Carson’s distance, in miles, from the family RV?

I. 12
II. 14
III. 16

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) II and III only

We see that Carson’s first two legs of running path are 6 miles and 8 miles and we can let his return path to his family RV be the third leg.

We can say that 8 and 6 represent two legs of a triangle. Thus, we can follow the triangle inequality rule in which the sum of 2 sides of the triangle must be greater than the 3rd side. So 12 is a possible distance of the 3rd leg.

However, if the first two legs are part of a straight-line path and his return path is also along this straight-line path, then his return path can be exactly 6 + 8 = 14 miles. Thus 14 is also a possible distance of the 3rd leg.

At this point, we already know the answer since there is only one answer choice containing both I and II, but we can also easily justify that III is indeed impossible by noticing 6 + 8 = 14 < 16; which by the triangle inequality cannot be the length of the third leg of a triangle when the first two legs measure 6 and 8 units..

Alternate Solution:

Let’s assume Carson has traveled a straight-line path for 6 miles to get to the ranger station, and then he proceeds an additional 8 miles along that straight-line path, resulting in his being 6 + 8 = 14 miles from the family RV. Statement II is correct. Note that 14 miles is the maximum distance that he can be located from the family RV. Thus, Statement III is impossible.

Note also that Carson’s minimum distance from the family RV at the end of his 14-mile run is 0; he could have run straight, or in circles, or in any direction during his run. We see that any answer between 0 and 14, inclusive, is possible for his distance from the family RV at the end of his run. Thus, Statement I is also correct.

Answer: C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: While on a family vacation in a national park, Carson, who is training [#permalink]
Elaborating ScottTargettestprep alternate solution

Triangle ∆
If we open this triangle
\_/
___
Then it will become a straight line
Maximum distance here is 14
So any value less than equal to 14 will be and
So 12 and 14 are answers

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92987 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts