Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Why do Adcoms hold decisions? [#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
I have contemplated for quite some time as why Adcoms will not release decisions as soon as they are made? It is clearly impossible for them to make 100% of decisions the day prior to the deadline. So why not release them as they are made?

Depends on if they do rounds or rolling admissions.

We really don't know exactly what these guys do behind closed doors but some students are more easily admitted than others.

Like it is with most college admissions, I think it's fair that there are rounds where applications are examined, and then decisions are released at the same time. If the adcom reaches all decisions for a round earlier than the published deadline, then if they want to release them then, I think they should. However, I also don't mid if there is an early decision option as well (not a fan of early action at least to me).

Originally posted by novanative on 29 Feb 2012, 10:36.
Last edited by novanative on 29 Feb 2012, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
[quote="GMATLA"] [quote]

I love reading your comments, you are very insightful, detailed and well-thought out :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
My best guess is class mix. They need to know exactly who's been flagged for admit internally, and then they build the class. Some of those admits turn into waitlists. Some of the waitlists turn into dings. The few days between final mix and release date are probably used to update the database for decision generation.

If you go with a rolling admissions process, you're paying no heed to class mix. You just admit every person who looks great and hope it works out in the end. You also run into issues of quality, class size and yield unless you wait. What if you've already admitted your target number, but the best applications were the ones that are on the bottom of your unread pile? Sounds like a giant headache to me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
method wrote:
My best guess is class mix. They need to know exactly who's been flagged for admit internally, and then they build the class. Some of those admits turn into waitlists. Some of the waitlists turn into dings. The few days between final mix and release date are probably used to update the database for decision generation.

If you go with a rolling admissions process, you're paying no heed to class mix. You just admit every person who looks great and hope it works out in the end. You also run into issues of quality, class size and yield unless you wait. What if you've already admitted your target number, but the best applications were the ones that are on the bottom of your unread pile? Sounds like a giant headache to me!

With rolling admissions, at least to use law schools as an example, even though there is rolling admission for most law schools, it's not like the adcoms there make a decision within a month of receiving a student's application. If a student is clearly in it based on numbers alone, then yes, he/she gets the welcome packet, and if a student's numbers are clearly out of line, the rejection comes quickly. However, law school adcoms seem to be taking their time with the glut of applicants in the middle, and seem to put more students on a wait list, and they use it almost all the time as well. This year, with the considerable drop in applicants, and the apparent lack of realization or underestimation of this from the adcoms, expect the waitlists in law school to be used quite heavily this year over the next several months.
GMAT Club Bot