Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [3]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink]
Kudos
I attended an "Inside the MBA" event, this past week in Miami. Tepper, Anderson, McCombs were present among others. I specifically asked the same question to the Admission reps from these schools, and they were quite insistent, that it does not matter when you have taken the GMAT, as long as it is within the 5 year limit. Secondly, no difference if the Integrated reasoning section is missing.

I gave my GMAT in Oct'10 and scored a 700, and plan to apply next year 2012. So by then, the Integrated reasoning would be part of the Actual GMAT score. So was curious, coz I have time to re-take it.

My two cents, it probably wont make any difference for the next year or two. Later on, who knows.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
This is great info! Thank you for sharing. I really tend to agree that it won't matter for the next few years until they understand how the scoring correlates with bschool success (if at all). Only time will tell, but it is good to hear what the adcoms think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I do understand that it's much better to have time to prepare for what you will be tested on. With that said, I think that a natural knack for a certain type of reasoning is paramount to a huge amount of studying, and so if you are able to get your hands on a textbook to familiarize yourself fully with the range of questions you can be given on the new section, and you still feel like it is much easier for you than standard quant (I feel that way as well for now, I'm a analytic more than a precision/technical type), then you should definitely go for it.
Another thing is though, that schools are liable to not consider the new score from integrative reasoning as seriously as the standard sections they are used to seeing, just because it is new and they don't really have a framework to evaluate it yet..
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I will second Eli's advice, but either way, you ought to note a couple of things:

1) The new section is unlikely to provide "free points." The exam is designed to work as a balanced experience. if you found the material easy, then others will likely feel the same. Don't assume that they published samples are representative of the full range of difficulty of the material, or that doing well on this "easy" material will produce a great score. Unless you have some special talent for this material *that others do not have,* it is unlikely to make a significant difference for you.

2) The Integrated Reasoning section will be scored separately from the rest of the exam, just like the AWA. Your performance in Integrated Reasoning will have no effect on your 200-800 score.

So basically, if you are preparing now, you might as well plan to be done before the test changes, and you have no reason to worry. If you are unlikely to be ready to test until after the change, your preparation will mostly be the same--you can start now, or wait until the spring and get prep books that deal with the new section.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I'll echo the sentiments made so far on this board. I don't think it will have an effect on admissions whatsoever. Personally, I'm planning on taking it in late May before the switchover.
GMAT Club Bot