Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: With abundant natural resources, cheap labor forces, and [#permalink]
bigtreezl wrote:

I chose B over D because the stimulus said "were" weakened

We have to make the correction based on the non underlined part, The underlined part is already wrong and adds little value in correcting itself. The non underlined part dictates the flow of the rest of the sentence as we cannot change it.

Now coming back to the Q, I remember from MGMAT SC book that will shows certainty and would shows uncertainty. I went back and looked into the book, could is also listed as the word that can show uncertainty

Googling, I found this BBC link https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv195.shtml which says would is for uncertainty and could is for permission/request.

then the same link says

Would have indicates certainty that he would have won if he had tried harder, could have indicates that it is a possibility.

Interesting!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Toss up for me between B and D.

I went with B - would (certainty) I believe is what the author is trying to express.

Though, I do question the source of the Q, because both are grammatically correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:

I chose B over D because the stimulus said "were" weakened

We have to make the correction based on the non underlined part, The underlined part is already wrong and adds little value in correcting itself. The non underlined part dictates the flow of the rest of the sentence as we cannot change it.

Now coming back to the Q, I remember from MGMAT SC book that will shows certainty and would shows uncertainty. I went back and looked into the book, could is also listed as the word that can show uncertainty

Googling, I found this BBC link https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv195.shtml which says would is for uncertainty and could is for permission/request.

then the same link says

Would have indicates certainty that he would have won if he had tried harder, could have indicates that it is a possibility.

Interesting!

"were" of course is incorrect in the stimulus, but it is implying something factual, where as "could be" is not factual. "could be" changes the meaning.
Director
Director
 Q49  V41
Send PM
bigtreezl wrote:

"were" of course is incorrect in the stimulus, but it is implying something factual, where as "could be" is not factual. "could be" changes the meaning.

I still don't get it. You are saying usage of were is wrong but it is implying is some thing factual? How can a wrong usage imply something factual? There is nothing factual here. Here we are clearly talking about a future issue and we are talking about a fear or uncertainty. As BFH said, grammatically both seem to be correct but probably would is correct usage as uncertainty is involved. The more I think, the more I feel that my assessment of logical possibility is wrong
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Send PM
tarek ... what is the source ???

I had tough time choosing between B and D. In the end I guessed B. I was not sure of the logical difference of would and could.

What is the OA ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:

I still don't get it. You are saying usage of were is wrong but it is implying is some thing factual? How can a wrong usage imply something factual? There is nothing factual here. Here we are clearly talking about a future issue and we are talking about a fear or uncertainty. As BFH said, grammatically both seem to be correct but probably would is correct usage as uncertainty is involved. The more I think, the more I feel that my assessment of logical possibility is wrong

from dictionary.com

would
(used in place of will, to make a statement or form a question less direct or blunt): That would scarcely be fair. Would you be so kind?

I am just saying that "were" is the plural past tense of the verb "to be". "will" is the future tense of the verb to be.

in using could instead of would it is like changing "I was at the store" to "I could have been at the store"
or "if you had come by my house and I wasn't home, I would have been at the store" to "if you came by my house and I wasnt home, I could have been at the store"

would suggests something definite, factual
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
the OA is B. The source of this question is bellcurves.com

I'm still trying to figure out the exact difference between "would" and "could." From what i know, both express uncertainty. However, "would" implies decision taking, whereas "could" expresses ability. But based on that logic, I chose D, which is wrong! :evil:

may be some more explanation can help me here.
thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
i was muddled between B and D as well.

But here is my logic to choose B over D :

would over could :

here the the whole sentence is in the past tense :

B says : without a strong relationship, the economic tie would be weakened by goods from the Far East

since weakened is also a past form probably we will need to show the things happening at different time frames esp keeping in mind that
the rest of the sentence (not underlined) ends with "feared" . Now some body will fear of something "to happen" ; that is something in the future
But since weakened is also in past tense ... we will need "would" here to indicate different time frames ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Send PM
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:

I think "were" is used to express uncertainty or unreality when "were" appears in the IF clause, not the main clause.
For example: If I WERE rich, I would donate money to rebuild my school.

In the answer choice, "were" appears in the main clause; and because it has to go with the singular subject "the economic tie", it is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
My reason for choosing B is that in a subjunctive clause, I have never seen "could". For example,
If I ate there, I would develop stomach ache.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
scthakur wrote:
My reason for choosing B is that in a subjunctive clause, I have never seen "could". For example,

I will have to disagree with you. With unreal conditionals, you are allowed to use would, could, and might.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
scthakur wrote:

I will have to disagree with you. With unreal conditionals, you are allowed to use would, could, and might.

Then, this is my learning. Could you please throw some examples?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Send PM
B

A bit confused between 'would' in B and 'could' in D :roll:
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
scthakur wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
scthakur wrote:

Then, this is my learning. Could you please throw some examples?

ok,

1) If I were rich, I could travel more often.

2) If you kissed me, I would enjoy it.

3) If you apologized, I might forgive you.

As for the real conditionals, you are allowed to use will, can, may, and must because they imply future.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts