Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 13:41 It is currently 01 May 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
The sad part was that he said it in a boastful manner.

I think scoring 800 is bad. Schools get a self-righteous power trip over rejecting 800 gmat scorers and like to tell themselves that they're more than the GMAT.

dude not only 800........I think they have it in for everyone with a BIG gmat score. Not only Stan, but H/W/Chic ppl.......all of them take great pride in saying GMAT is only one data point........yada yada yada......we have rejected so many millions an biollions with a big GMAT.

I actually spoke abt this in depth with Dee Someone - the Admissions Diro at Tuck - wonderful lady btw - she obliquly admitted this was true.......she said that once the school sees a big GMAT, then they scrutinise the app closer to see if the person shows "maturity" and insights in non-acadamic ways as well. So be ware all high GMATTers (which at last count was practically eveyone on this forum)
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
so once we cross 700, smaller scores are better than bigger scores?

something like negative numbers :P

dosa, ur an undergrad of IIT right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i knew i should have skipped the last 5 questions on the gmat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great... thanks for another reason to be paranoid.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey now I think I might be glad I got a 740 and not a 770...thanks guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not good to have low score, not good to have too high... :) The ideal score thus is 710-740. And 720-740 for Stanford.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
R.E.D. wrote:
not good to have too high... :)

Unless you are an I.I.T (Indian I.T) applicant applying to a top 5 program.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
But WOW to scoring 800. I'm actually surprised that nobody on any of these test forums has ever posted scoring an 800 score. (except of course that 1 troll 1-2 years ago)

I remember how his story unraveled.... it was like watching it self-implode in slow motion. First he said he had like 42 math questions or something, then he said ETS administered (but Pearson was administering them... or other way around, i forget)... then someone noticed his "I just got back from taking the test" post was at like 3AM pacific... and then someone found out there was no test taking facility in the town he said he took it in...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
WOW! :) That's amazing :lol: 8 x 800 and all denied !!!! And they are boast of denying wunderkinds?!?

:oops: I hope my 7xx will not deminish my chances with Stan :cry:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
Great... thanks for another reason to be paranoid.

Great... thanks for another reason to be paranoid. [2]

I friend of mine told me that those who have above 750 need to show that they are not freaks. I was worried, but I had forgotten until I saw your post.

Thanks once again :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Auro- yes I did go to IIT for my UG...

aurobindo wrote:
so once we cross 700, smaller scores are better than bigger scores?

something like negative numbers :P

dosa, ur an undergrad of IIT right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
This raises the question then, for the application process. If you are a high scorer on the GMAT, say 750 plus, and they want you to prove you're not all academics, would it help to taylor your essays to show your extra-curriculars that are not all academic. And, possibly, spend more time on that part of your application than work experience?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's the link to the thread about the guy who lied about his 800 in case anyone is interested.

I agree with Rhyme in that it was a pretty entertaining read. I also had a good chuckle at how his username and thread name were changed by the mods!

That is pretty interesting how schools are so leary about very high scores on the GMAT. I would have thought that it would be the other way around - if you scored super high the adcoms could be assured that you have the academic ability and so they would be a bit more lenient on other parts of the app. Well, I guess you learn something new everyday!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
This may sound funny/weird, but I actually told myself before the test that I did not want to score anything more than 760 so I wont appear geeky.

I did want to do well though because I belong to the dreaded Indian IT pool and wasn't sure when I would apply, so I did not want the percentiles going down drastically in case the MBA had to wait 3 years.

I ended up with a 760. Now I wonder, would 750 have been better? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From speaking to current MBA students, a high GMAT is obviously very important, but when you get into the top schools that's all they see. So, obviously, you need to show how you are different in your goals, your experiences, what you have to offer, etc. If they like the big picture that you offer (essays, GPA, GMAT, etc) and decide to accept you, the level of your GMAT score comes back into play scholarship-wise. So for me, I might get in to a top-15 school, but with a 690 it's unlikely that I will get scholarship moeny. Conversely, many of my GMAT Club cohorts will get into the same top-15 school that I get in to, but with your 700+ scores, you are likely candidates for scholarship money.

Think about it, it is very unlikely for someone with a 690 to get a scholarship over someone with a 750 since both people got in because they have something to offer the school. After that point, who does the school need to spend money on in order to get that applicant to come their school, a 690 or 770? So for all you 700+ scorers, WHEN you get in to the school(s) of your choice, you very well might see some more dividends on you GMAT score. IMHO.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I dont think there is a thing such as too high of a GMAT. My guess is that most really high scorers end up taking the rest of the app a little too easily. If you score like 780+, you should probably address your soft skills and leadership a tad more than you would with a lower GMAT.

Having said that, there are 10% of students at every top school with a GMAT > 760. The mid 80% range at almost all the top schools is 650-760 (give or take 10 at the bottom of the range). So that means there are 100 students at H, who have a GMAT of 770 or higher.

So dont get paranoid folks :)

My intention to post it was that I was excited to find out that one of my buddies was one of the 60 or so people who reportedly score a perfect 800 every year.

And that another guy got into H and S but did not get into W- goes to show that what works for one school might not for another.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Speaking of scholarship amounts, do you think we should add that to the comprehensive thread Kryzak started that lists our GMAT, GPA, etc. and schools we're applying to and results? Should people volunteer scholarship amounts offered, or is that too personal? I just think it may help clubbers in the future for who offers money, how much, and what it takes to get that.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4