Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: Writing with a marker and white board [#permalink]
heygirl wrote:
There won't be any problem for 'less room'. Ask for more books, if you run out of paper.
I did not find any difference because of the laminated booklet.

Good Luck

emont wrote:
You get a few books with laminated paper and semi-permanent markers. The pages are about 5"x7", maybe a little larger.

I hadn't practiced with anything similar prior to the test and didn't have any issues with it on test day. If you fill a book you can ask for another one so there shouldn't be any issues with lack of room to work the problems.

Thanks guys, that sounds much better than how I had envisioned it. Just trying to get all possible stress out of my head for test day.
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
OP you can buy the same whiteboard that you use on test day on amazon, I think it is 15 bucks? I don't really think it would be worth it though (although I have yet to take the GMAT).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
I'm planning to buy the simulated test notepad and use it when I do my practice exams. It will take away one less variables on the real exam.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Banned
Send PM
Samwong wrote:
I'm planning to buy the simulated test notepad and use it when I do my practice exams. It will take away one less variables on the real exam.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

I kind of want to do the same thing but 15 bucks....that could be 30 nattys that I could crush after getting my 710. Decisions, decisions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
southernstunna wrote:
I kind of want to do the same thing but 15 bucks....that could be 30 nattys that I could crush after getting my 710. Decisions, decisions.

I'm sure once you get that 710 you'll have girls lining up at the bar to buy you beers, so it's pretty much a wash.

Right?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can get an exact copy/sample of it here: Test Simulation Booklet
Banned
Send PM
emont wrote:
southernstunna wrote:

I'm sure once you get that 710 you'll have girls lining up at the bar to buy you beers, so it's pretty much a wash.

Right?

This is an interesting point. Looks like I'm getting the 15 dollar whiteboard then. Good call.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I purchased the Manhattan test simulation booklet. It was definitely worth it! It erased any adjustment period during the exam. Trust me, time is precious on the GMAT. It also allowed me to to feel more comfortable during the actual test. And if I feel better, I am better.

It may also help indirectly with one's discipline for the CAT practice. If you spend 15 dollars on something only used for practice tests, then you will probably also make sure to fully mimic test conditions overall. And this attitude will improve your performance.

My recommendation: buy it.
Banned
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
I purchased the Manhattan test simulation booklet. It was definitely worth it! It erased any adjustment period during the exam. Trust me, time is precious on the GMAT. It also allowed me to to feel more comfortable during the actual test. And if I feel better, I am better.

It may also help indirectly with one's discipline for the CAT practice. If you spend 15 dollars on something only used for practice tests, then you will probably also make sure to fully mimic test conditions overall. And this attitude will improve your performance.

My recommendation: buy it.

So the adjustment to the whiteboard is significant? Damn I guess I will have to buy it. But like you said, time is precious, every little second is extremely important.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
On the real exam, do they give you an eraser to wipe the notepad? Also, how many pages are in the notepad? Can you write on both sides of each page?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
You don't need an eraser--you can just finger-wipe the ink out. From what I remember each book had about 5-6 pages with grids and writing space on both sides.
Banned
Send PM
you finger wipe the ink? How dirty are your fingers after taking the exam? Dude I write a LOT of stuff down. I will go through like 15 pages of notebook paper when taking a practice quant exam.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
southernstunna wrote:
So the adjustment to the whiteboard is significant? Damn I guess I will have to buy it. But like you said, time is precious, every little second is extremely important

The time spent getting used to it may not be significant, but there will be a bunch of things that can distract you during the test. Removing one of them helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
The idea of buying it appeals to me;afterall its not priced more than 1 good lunch :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
I would recommend buying it but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I bought one and the first time I wrote on it felt a little weird but got used to it in the first 5-10 mins.

If you don't buy it, scribble on it during the test instructions. Use it to brainstorm during the AWA and you should be comfortable with it by the time you hit the Quant section. I suppose you could even try simulating it by sticking a bunch of clear tape on a piece of paper and writing on it.

Some other comments - you shouldn't be able to erase it (it's permanent marker) but I didn't actually try erasing anything. Get a new booklet during each break. Another reason why I wouldn't waste time erasing anything - you'll have plenty of space if you get a new booklet for each section.
GMAT Club Bot