Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Wrong time management statistic in GMATPrep software? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Philipp,

Based on the answers that you provided, you've already defined the most significant issues in how you approach the GMAT:

1) Silly mistakes in the Quant section.
2) Fatigue issues in the Verbal section.

The good news is that each of these two issues should be easy enough to fix. The 'catch' is that you don't have a lot of time left to fix them and you're not going to fix ALL of the problems that you described. The short answer is that you have to be more ACTIVE in your work - take more notes, don't just read the prompt over-and-over, don't do work in your head, etc.. The fatigue issue is probably more about the physical things: sleep, breakfast, what you do during your breaks, how you sit in your chair, etc.

You should plan to do a reasonable amount of work over this last week+. Working on SCs and Number Properties is a good idea, as both of those categories will show up repeatedly on Test Day. That does NOT mean that you have to do every question in the book. DO NOT cram. DO NOT take lots of practice CATs (maybe 1 or 2, but that's it). Try to relax a bit before Test Day. The best Test Takers are the ones who stay calm, think about how questions remind them of work that they've already done and are active with their approaches.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wrong time management statistic in GMATPrep software? [#permalink]
Hi alexau,

thanks for your reply. That piece of information really helps! So I guess there was no penalty in my score.

I got your point. Timing is very important, though I am sometimges wondering wether I should also put myself on the clock while practising. I've been exercising for almost 3 weeks now only to lift my PrepTest score from 560 to 580.. think I wasted quite a good amount of time with rushing and tricking myself. Wish me luck, I might need it :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for your advise! I'm really trying to get as much findings as possible out of the Prep tests. As you recommended, I listed my error log to find some issues.

Verbal
How often did I get a question wrong:

1) because "guessing" wrong.
Good point. Most times I am able to narrow down to 2 choices. Anyways, I'm still struggling then.

2) because of too wordy questions
This happened serveral times in SC questions. In one RC part I was mentally so exhausted that I stared at the text for almost 4 minutes not understanding the great picture, which leads to 4 wrong choices. I think it was also an issues of focus, but at the end it is lack of stamina. CR worked quite good, SC was my main problem, although I already trained it a bit.

Quant
How often did I get a question wrong:

1) because of silly/little mistakes
That's devastating. I think 7 out of 15 mistakes were silly. I solved them while reviewing all by myself in 2 minutes, though I was not able to solve them in the test. Sometimes I am really freaking out, because I am put on the clock. At the end I think I can only counter this problem with more tests and practise. I have to build stamina.

2) because math rules I didn't know
I really suck in number properties. In the test, there were two Sub-600 questions which I couldn't solve, because I was trying to find a formula instead of using my brain. I really will drill number properties. As bb already analysed (I'm not able to post the Link here) and according to my error log, number properties are quite common in the quant part (compared to geometry, permutations, etc). And surprisingly I seem to be bad in percentages. :D

3) because questions being to hard
I think i understand most of the concepts, though I have to drill them to be able to solve them in time. Which leads me to a questions.

How would you encounter this situation?

In terms of sentence correction many users recommended the Manhatten SC book, which I am trying to work through a bit. Also, I have still many questions in the OG, which are waiting to be done. At the end I think, being able to solve SC questions fast, is the key to the whole verbal part. RC and CR worked pretty good if I had a bit more time.

In terms of number properties I plan to read through the Manhatten Review Number propertie guide the next days, because I think there is quite potential as there are many questions in the GMAT related to this topic. I don't need to ball in the 700+ range, so do you think it is possible to work through the book in few days?

In terms of me freaking out during the test and not being able to use my normal potential ... Anyone of you had the same problem? I think I should just build confidence by working on some 600- and 600/700 questions. And maybe some sport would help in order to not implode :) Plus I bought some earplugs to improve my focus on the test. Any further suggestions or experience guys? 10 days to go :) 600 to reach.

Philipp

PS: To make it complete, here my OG error log analysis. Maybe someone has some advise like "Damn, you really have some serious problems" .. or "Nevermind, you're able to make it". :)
Attachments

GMAT & IELTS Masterplan - Google Tabellen - Google Chrome 2015-02-28 13.01.42.png
GMAT & IELTS Masterplan - Google Tabellen - Google Chrome 2015-02-28 13.01.42.png [ 99.8 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]

Originally posted by shoveit88 on 28 Feb 2015, 04:39.
Last edited by shoveit88 on 28 Feb 2015, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot