Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have had the same general panic for a while now. That's why I applied to so many schools. I have also thought about applying to even more schools, but it would be too difficult to hit up my recommenders again so I'll just have to go with what I got.

Good luck searching for some additional schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I have had the same general panic for a while now. That's why I applied to so many schools. I have also thought about applying to even more schools, but it would be too difficult to hit up my recommenders again so I'll just have to go with what I got.

Good luck searching for some additional schools.

ditto.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quick note on the panic: welcome to da club! Every single one of has panicked, is panicking or will panic at a point in time (that's why we call it pant-pooping). My advice: don't panic! :lol:

Sorry, my real advice: don't overinterpret or 1st and only ding, you look as a competitive candidate for the other programs you've mentioned (maybe share your complete profile with someone you trust to get some extra assurance). Yale seems to be extra tough this year, trying to reduce class size, etc.

Also, analyze carefully whether you would be willing to compromise program quality to start this year. Otherwise, don't go "Russian rouletting" on all schools. It can do harm if you try to reapply next year.

Hope helps. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In the same boat

Prepared mentally to apply for next year, so attacking the important link in the process "GMAT Score" ..will be joining a prep course and prepare intensively for my GMAT

A 750 will definitely get me an admit from one among the Elite( M7 is a different ball game)...Now dont argue about the imp. of GMAT Vs profile etc etc...This is my opinion after going through the entire appln process..( visiting schools, Talking to alumni, students etc )

Good Luck

cheers
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
In the same boat

Prepared mentally to apply for next year, so attacking the important link in the process "GMAT Score" ..will be joining a prep course and prepare intensively for my GMAT

A 750 will definitely get me an admit from one among the Elite( M7 is a different ball game)...Now dont argue about the imp. of GMAT Vs profile etc etc...This is my opinion after going through the entire appln process..( visiting schools, Talking to alumni, students etc )

Good Luck

cheers

Can you elaborate? I'm not going to argue with you, but I'm sitting here with my 750 sweating bullets. So I'll gladly listen to any rationale that says that my score alone is good enough to get me into one my top-choice schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I have a 640 and I have been waitlisted at 2 schools - with a 750 I would be in - however if my application was not strong and I had a 750 I would have been dinged. GMAT alone wont get you in but it is priobably the biggest piece of the puzzle.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I visited my target schools and requested Adcom to help me meet students from my country, profile( Indian IT Male )...and the students were more than helpful to advise me of the admission stuff

Get a 750, churn out decent essays, show some interest the usual Visit, etc and i can def get in the bottom of the ELite

( Darden, Yale, Johnson, Stern,Duke etc ) but as the list moves up to Ross, Tuck, Haas, UCLA it gets Difficult but still the high GMAT score helps more than the endless hours spent on Essays..as applicants are grouped by Nationality , so bschool should have an incentive to pick X over Y and GMAT is a better differentiaor...

This is all my opinion but i advice u the same..Go and meet/Talk to students from ur country/profile in ur target school

Originally posted by Ozmba on 12 Feb 2007, 11:58.
Last edited by Ozmba on 12 Feb 2007, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
OasisNYK wrote:
Well I have a 640 and I have been waitlisted at 2 schools - with a 750 I would be in - however if my application was not strong and I had a 750 I would have been dinged. GMAT alone wont get you in but it is priobably the biggest piece of the puzzle.

I bet if u retake the GMAT and get 700+, Darden will def accept u...

I Met a student at Stern, he had 650 GMAT and was waitlisted...He was CLEARLY advised by the adcom to retake the GMAT .....he did his best to increase the score and was in.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Yale Destroys Confidence; Aspring Applicant Panics [#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
So I got a ding from Yale last week, without so much as an interview invite! I am really not too upset about the ding itself - I have never been to Yale and really like my other three target schools (Cornell, Duke, UNC). However, I've come to realize that if Yale can ding me, any of them could. ALL OF THEM COULD! OH MY GOD!

So now I've gone back through my research and added a new tab to my set of spreadsheets, entitled Panic Button. This tab has an additional list of schools to apply to, as back-ups. Because I was looking for schools with concentrations in sustainable enterprise, and not paying much attention to the rankings, I now have an extensive and varied group of schools to consider, ranging from H/S/W (ok, not back-ups) to places most of you have never heard of.

Anyway, here are the potential back-up schools I've identified for an additional round of applications:

McCombs (U-Texas, TransElite, too late for scholarships)
Georgetown (Near-Elite, too late for scholarships)
Case Western Reserve (Weatherhead, Near Elite Frontier, scholarships available, ranked in US News top 10 for nonprofit management)
York (Schulich, NEF, scholarships still available)

I welcome thoughts on any of these schools, my state of panic, or whatever. (See https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 695#277695 for my profile.)

Thanks.

Aaudetat, Just sit tight. I had my first ding a month before I got my first admit and I still have one more school to go. Its definitely painful, but if you really think you haven't already applied to the schools you wanted then you can go for some R3s. But just keep in mind that if you do get accepted to the 'back-up' schools you mentioned, would you realistically end up going there (if the others don't come through)? if the answer is yes, then by all means apply!
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Yale Destroys Confidence; Aspring Applicant Panics [#permalink]
aaudetat,

Don't worry. There's no way that UNC will ding you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
They dinged you Xeo and you are a good candidate. I'm also in for UNC's next round and I have some reason to believe that I will get in, but if I do not I'll be alright. I applied to a few backups, got into a few with scholarshps and I am very happy. I haven't been admitted to any big guns yet... But thats ok, for what I want to do and my experience the program coordinators at my admitted schools are very confident they can take me where I need to go. Are my schools top 10? Nope, but still high up in the rankings. Do I care at this point... NOPE!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry Xeo... W/L'ed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know what you mean about how demoralizing the first ding can be. I applied to 6 schools and got my first ding from yale. Have yet to get any interview invites
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
They dinged you Xeo and you are a good candidate. I'm also in for UNC's next round and I have some reason to believe that I will get in, but if I do not I'll be alright. I applied to a few backups, got into a few with scholarshps and I am very happy. I haven't been admitted to any big guns yet... But thats ok, for what I want to do and my experience the program coordinators at my admitted schools are very confident they can take me where I need to go. Are my schools top 10? Nope, but still high up in the rankings. Do I care at this point... NOPE!

I'm not that good of a candidate, my 660 GMAT doesn't impress anyone. She is a much better candidate than me and should therefore get in easily if I got waitlisted.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hopefully! Yale has really turned anyhow. 2yrs ago most of those who got dinged probably would have got in statistically. They used to have a 660 GMAT avg not too long ago.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
My point is simply... Find a backup school that you don't really consider to be a big compromise. A place you can be happy going to if you didn't end up going to your top picks.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
My point is simply... Find a backup school that you don't really consider to be a big compromise. A place you can be happy going to if you didn't end up going to your top picks.

Mark,

Where are you in again?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3