Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [26]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [5]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34 (Online)
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi

Can someone please explain the deciding factor here? I was confused between B and C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer [#permalink]
Why not OPTION D please explain how option C as answer

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
Kudos
PH works are a problem .
Why? Writer is not available to attest to facts. Meaning writer can’t confirm certain facts.
Solution proposed: Writers should date the manuscripts and write the version it replaces.
( So the assumption is that while revising the manuscripts writer also keeps revisiting and confirming all the facts and that all the facts are correct).
Remember, this is only an assumption while propping the solution: to tag the manuscripts according to version.
But does this solve the complete problem? May be, May be not? Hence the scope is the issue here.
Agree?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [4]
Send PM
Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
GDT wrote:
Pls provide OE for the problem

Please refer attached images for the official explanation.

Sorry for the inconvenience, While posting from the mobile I had to try several times because of uploading error.
Attachments

Screenshot_20200801-151831__01[1].jpg
Screenshot_20200801-151831__01[1].jpg [ 193.93 KiB | Viewed 5189 times ]

Screenshot_20200801-151905__01[1].jpg
Screenshot_20200801-151905__01[1].jpg [ 156.74 KiB | Viewed 5186 times ]

Screenshot_20200801-152007__01[1].jpg
Screenshot_20200801-152007__01[1].jpg [ 174.01 KiB | Viewed 5185 times ]

Screenshot_20200801-152050__01[2].jpg
Screenshot_20200801-152050__01[2].jpg [ 139.96 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Thelionking1234 wrote:
GDT wrote:

Sorry for the inconvenience, While posting from the mobile I had to try several times because of uploading error.

i also thought the same flaw but could not connect with the given correct option C. latest is not equal to last
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer [#permalink]
Thelionking1234 wrote:
GDT wrote:

Thelionking1234

Can you pls explain me the following concern

If the author tells us which earlier version is replaced by the new version in question, don't we automatically know that the last available (in a series of drafts) new draft which has replaced a particular draft is the final one

I'm unable to get the flaw

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GDT wrote:
Thelionking1234 wrote:
GDT wrote:

Thelionking1234

If the author tells us which earlier version is replaced by the new version in question, don't we automatically know that the last available (in a series of drafts) new draft which has replaced a particular draft is the final one

Thanks in advance!

because a dead author may not tell his latest version and editorial could not find the latest to publish, therefore the last is not the latest. I hope i make some sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
budhni wrote:
GDT wrote:
Thelionking1234 wrote:
GDT wrote:

Thelionking1234

Thanks in advance!

because a dead author may not tell his latest version and editorial could not find the latest to publish, therefore the last is not the latest. I hope i make some sense.

Is the flaw saying that latest version couldn't be found and consequently a previous is considered latest, doesn't mean it can't be possible
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GDT wrote:
Thelionking1234 wrote:
GDT wrote:

Thelionking1234

Thanks in advance!

Yes what you said is correct. If writer writes the date and the version number of the manuscripts then it is easy to arrange the manuscripts in chronological order and we can find the recent manuscript easily.

But the flaw in the reasoning is:

Conclusion of the author: Therefore, to eliminate the problem, writers should not only date their scripts but also specify which previous version the new script replaces.

Author says buy applying his suggestions problem of finding the latest manuscripts will be solved.

Now refer attached image to understand the flaw.

Let me know If you still have some reservations.
Attachments

Posthumous.png
Posthumous.png [ 43.5 KiB | Viewed 4973 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Kudos
I suggest applying this 4-step process to tackle the problem:

Step 1 - Read carefully the Question Statement (to focus your reading)

Question statement : "The editor’s argument is most vulnerable to the criticism that it"

This kind of question tests our ability to analyze the logical structure of an argument and identify its flaws.
Notice that we are not asked to weaken the conclusion but rather to identify flaws in the argument as a whole.

Step 2 - Understand the argument and its Logical Construction (visualization)

We can summarize the arguments as follows :

a) Problem in attesting facts (because author not present). (Fact 1)
b) Problem arising when draft version not dated, making the editor's job difficult. (Fact 2)
c) TO ELIMINATE the problem, authors should be asked to date scripts and provide references to previous versions (conclusion)

The assumption on which the argument is based is that : Dating / versioning will ELIMINATE the problem. Note that "eliminates" means "solving 100% of the problem".

There is another important point to notice when reading the passage. It is the definition of the problem. In the first sentence, we are told about a problem of "Attesting facts". And in the following sentences, that problem is reduced to "Absence of date / versioning in drafts".

Basically what the argument tells us is that : "the solution to a portion of the problem (date / versioning) will ELIMINATE the whole problem (attesting facts)".

Step 3 – Pre-thinking

Based on our analysis of the structure of the argument, we can say that the most important criticism to this argument lies in the reduction of the scope of the problem : We went from a broad problem (attesting facts) to a limited problem (dating manuscrits).

Step 4 - Process of Elimination

After a quick POE, Answer Choices A and D can be eliminated without any hesitation.

Other Answer choices require more scrutiny before elimination.

Answer B - Tries to address the symptoms rather than the actual cause of the problem.

This Answer choice is meant to make you think and waste precious time. In fact, the recommendation made in the passage (i.e dating the manuscripts) addresses the cause of a problem and not the manifestation of that cause (symptom). For this reason it is out.

Answer C - does not fully consider the scope of the problem.

Answer Choice in conformity with our pre-thinking. In fact, the problem the editors face is much broader than versioning / dating of drafts. In fact, it is possible to have a dated draft but that is still a DRAFT (and not an accurate and definitive description of the facts the author wanted to convey). Therefore, C is the correct Choice .

Answer E - Solution irrelevant to the problem

It is true that the recommendation made in the passage doesn't address the broader problem of "Attesting facts" however it is relevant in addressing the versioning issue (part of the problem). Therefore, it is PARTIALLY relevant.

For this reason E is out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Nothing about the correctness of writing down the date and the version number is written. In this question, we are assuming that the author has written down all the dates and the version number correctly.

If suppose we assume that the date and the version number written by the author is not correct, then we can assume that option (D) to be the answer, which says that his suggestion can lead to another issue.

Kindly please clarity this for me? @e-gmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
This is the most plausible explanation to this question.
I found it difficult to wrap my head around the 'version 4' idea, in which there exists a version 4 but the editor is aware of only up to version 3 and is not aware that a version 4 exists. But then, that may be a problem just for me.
The undermentioned explanation clears all my doubts. Thanks a lot.

Namiji wrote:
I suggest applying this 4-step process to tackle the problem:

Step 1 - Read carefully the Question Statement (to focus your reading)

Question statement : "The editor’s argument is most vulnerable to the criticism that it"

This kind of question tests our ability to analyze the logical structure of an argument and identify its flaws.
Notice that we are not asked to weaken the conclusion but rather to identify flaws in the argument as a whole.

Step 2 - Understand the argument and its Logical Construction (visualization)

We can summarize the arguments as follows :

a) Problem in attesting facts (because author not present). (Fact 1)
b) Problem arising when draft version not dated, making the editor's job difficult. (Fact 2)
c) TO ELIMINATE the problem, authors should be asked to date scripts and provide references to previous versions (conclusion)

The assumption on which the argument is based is that : Dating / versioning will ELIMINATE the problem. Note that "eliminates" means "solving 100% of the problem".

There is another important point to notice when reading the passage. It is the definition of the problem. In the first sentence, we are told about a problem of "Attesting facts". And in the following sentences, that problem is reduced to "Absence of date / versioning in drafts".

Basically what the argument tells us is that : "the solution to a portion of the problem (date / versioning) will ELIMINATE the whole problem (attesting facts)".

Step 3 – Pre-thinking

Based on our analysis of the structure of the argument, we can say that the most important criticism to this argument lies in the reduction of the scope of the problem : We went from a broad problem (attesting facts) to a limited problem (dating manuscrits).

Step 4 - Process of Elimination

After a quick POE, Answer Choices A and D can be eliminated without any hesitation.

Other Answer choices require more scrutiny before elimination.

Answer B - Tries to address the symptoms rather than the actual cause of the problem.

This Answer choice is meant to make you think and waste precious time. In fact, the recommendation made in the passage (i.e dating the manuscripts) addresses the cause of a problem and not the manifestation of that cause (symptom). For this reason it is out.

Answer C - does not fully consider the scope of the problem.

Answer Choice in conformity with our pre-thinking. In fact, the problem the editors face is much broader than versioning / dating of drafts. In fact, it is possible to have a dated draft but that is still a DRAFT (and not an accurate and definitive description of the facts the author wanted to convey). Therefore, C is the correct Choice .

Answer E - Solution irrelevant to the problem

It is true that the recommendation made in the passage doesn't address the broader problem of "Attesting facts" however it is relevant in addressing the versioning issue (part of the problem). Therefore, it is PARTIALLY relevant.

For this reason E is out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts