Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:13 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22080 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: 16 days waiting time between exams? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Piotrek wrote:
Hey everyone!

I want to confirm that I can take GMAT every 16 days. I'm strict on my schedule and my first attempt is October 17th so I'm wondering if I can take 2nd attempt on November 2nd? November 2nd will be 16th day if we count from October 18th, however between October 17th and November 17th are 15 days if we don't include Oct 17th and November 2nd.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

In addition to what BB said, I would also caution you against back-to-back retakes, if you are not close to your score goal. So, if after October 16, you determine you need a lot more work to achieve your target score, then slow down, and give yourself more time to prepare.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
A quick way to check would be to open up the scheduling portal on the mba website. It will tell you precisely when you can schedule your next exam via the calendar.

Piotrek wrote:
Hey everyone!

I want to confirm that I can take GMAT every 16 days. I'm strict on my schedule and my first attempt is October 17th so I'm wondering if I can take 2nd attempt on November 2nd? November 2nd will be 16th day if we count from October 18th, however between October 17th and November 17th are 15 days if we don't include Oct 17th and November 2nd.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most people actually do end up taking the GMAT more than once, as usually their first score ends up lower than expected. I myself did it twice, using the first time as a practice to get familiar with the entire test environment and cancelled my score.

Schools generally encourage applicants to do the GMAT more than once if they think they can significantly improve their score so doing the GMAT 2-3 times isn't very unusual and not really frowned upon. If you're taking it 4-5 times and show no improvement, however, then that would not reflect too well on your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Is it true that I don't need to wait for 16 days between 2 attempts if they are different formats (i.e., online vs. in-centre, in any sequence)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
jaykayes wrote:
Is it true that I don't need to wait for 16 days between 2 attempts if they are different formats (i.e., online vs. in-centre, in any sequence)?

Yep, you don't have to wait. Might be helpful to think of them as the same exam but on two separate tracks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
jaykayes wrote:

Yep, you don't have to wait. Might be helpful to think of them as the same exam but on two separate tracks.

Thanks, that was very helpful!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22080 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jaykayes wrote:

Correct! You do not have to wait.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
jaykayes wrote:

Hi jaykayes,

The 16-day waiting period between attempts is for GMATs taken in the SAME format (re: both at a Test Center or both through the At-home option). When thinking in terms of taking an Exam in each format, you don't have to wait between attempts (and you could potentially taken them both on the same day, although I would NOT recommend that you do that). If you find that you severely under-perform on the initial attempt, you might be tempted to 'rush in' to retest - but you have to be very careful about that type of thinking. If there are any 'weak spots' in how you handle the Quant and/or Verbal sections, then you'd likely need more time to hone (or re-hone) the necessary skills needed to hit your Goal - and retesting too quickly could end up being a waste of money (and 1 of your attempts).

1) When are you planning to take the Official GMAT?
2) What is your goal score and how have you been scoring on your CATs/mocks?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
jaykayes wrote:

Correct! You do not have to wait.

Thanks for re-confirming, Scott!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
jaykayes wrote:

Hi jaykayes,

The 16-day waiting period between attempts is for GMATs taken in the SAME format (re: both at a Test Center or both through the At-home option). When thinking in terms of taking an Exam in each format, you don't have to wait between attempts (and you could potentially taken them both on the same day, although I would NOT recommend that you do that). If you find that you severely under-perform on the initial attempt, you might be tempted to 'rush in' to retest - but you have to be very careful about that type of thinking. If there are any 'weak spots' in how you handle the Quant and/or Verbal sections, then you'd likely need more time to hone (or re-hone) the necessary skills needed to hit your Goal - and retesting too quickly could end up being a waste of money (and 1 of your attempts).

1) When are you planning to take the Official GMAT?
2) What is your goal score and how have you been scoring on your CATs/mocks?

Thanks Rich, I will certainly keep that in mind.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jaykayes,

Based on what your messages, it's unclear whether you are planning to take the GMAT sometime soon or farther out in the calendar. Beyond the potential issue with the 16-day waiting period, you also have to consider the physical differences in taking the GMAT at a Test Center vs. taking the At-home option. Have you actually scheduled your Official GMAT appointment yet (and which option did you choose?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jaykayes,

Based on what your messages, it's unclear whether you are planning to take the GMAT sometime soon or farther out in the calendar. Beyond the potential issue with the 16-day waiting period, you also have to consider the physical differences in taking the GMAT at a Test Center vs. taking the At-home option. Have you actually scheduled your Official GMAT appointment yet (and which option did you choose?)?

Undecided as of now, Rich, but definitely not for another few months at least.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2