Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [4]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [4]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [3]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: 2010 - Nine Questions with a GMAT Club Member - Apply Now [#permalink]
Kudos
Q&A: 9 Questions with xpiano1978
Matriculating @: Cornell AMBA - Class of 2012

xpiano1978, is headed to Ithaca this summer for his AMBA degree at Cornell. Known for its brutal 3 month summer session for its AMBA program, xpiano1978 is either going to have one heck of a summer, or a brutal one.

xpiano1978, congrats on your admissions to Cornell MBA program. What is your idea of an ideal bschool program and how does Cornell fit into that description?
Lots of Fun, Free Beer, Free Food, [Fresh Dating Pool].

In a way, albeit slightly facetious, the bottom line is when you pick where you want to go, you want to make sure you have access to the things that matter to you. Whether that is career, (ie, I want to be an Ibanker), or personal (I like warm places). There’s a lot of things that fall into the “fun” category for me. Mostly, this is about spending time with cool people, and being able to pursue my interests.

I spent some time trying to talk to students AND alumni from the various schools that I was applying to. Suffice to say, some students/alumni were more responsive than others. I found the Cornell alumni to be extremely responsive to the questions I had.

I contacted them back in August, and kept in touch every few weeks. When I visited Sage Hall, I took the time to “wander” around the building on my own, looking slightly lost. (at some points, it wasn’t an act!) and just tried to get a sense of how people were. I had a professor randomly chat with me (Farrahut I think – he taught stats), and multiple students. One student even went over my resume and chatted about how to partially prep for the interview.

I did all this before I went into the interview, so I was pretty psyched going in. Maybe this enthusiasm showed as well…
After the interview, (I went on a Thursday), they had a Sage Social event there was some sort of social event involving people bidding for the right to throw pies into people’s faces. Along with this came the free food and free beer…

So yeah, 3 out of 4 aren’t bad. (Honestly, I didn’t spend much time trying to scope out the women… I had other things on my mind before and after the interview – thinking I bombed the interview pretty much dampened my spirits for the Sage Social).
What really sold me on Cornell was everyone - faculty, students, and alum seem really invested in the community, and the program. So, between spending time with people I think I’d get along with, along with the various good eats (and drinks) lying around, I think I found a good place to be.

Even with your impressive engineer background, you're slightly older than avg FT bschool applicant. How do you think your age helped or hindered your chances this yr?
I pretty much asked every adcom (For the schools I applied to) some variation regarding my being older than the avg. applicant. All of them gave a pretty standard response. “Back in the day when you and my parents were thinking about grad school…” However, looking at various statistics for past years, I feel that yeah, I needed to have taken over the world, or found the Cure for Cancer to have a better chance at a lot of schools at my age.
In hindsight, although I think age mattered somewhat, I think in light of other factors, there were definitely some things that mattered more that I could have done better.

If I had to weight how “important” the relevant factors to my getting (or not getting admission, just based on empirical information)

• Luck (25%)
• Background (engineering vs. consulting at a Big 3, etc.) – (25%)
• Application Strategy (25%) (Did I “manage” or “coordinate”?)
• Quality of Essays (20%) (The Table of Contents essay was a big differentiator I think I spent a lot of time mulling that one over and came up with something creative and original)
• Quality of Interview (10%) (“Don’t pick your nose, Don’t pick your nose…”)
• Age (10%)
• GMAT Score (5%)

I guess despite my awesome GMAT score, I can’t add very well…

Back when I used to have a Facebook account (don't ask me why I don't have one anymore), I used to have Raabend and fatb (current Cornell MBA1) as friends. I saw awesome pictures of Ithaca and outdoor activities with Cornell classmates and was little jealous. Have you met any current Cornell students and what is your impression of Cornell in general?
Didn’t I just answer this question? What’s with the 3rd degree here!

I think I’ve “met” (albeit not in person) 4 alumni.

I also met and chatted (at least for 5 minutes), 10-15 students. One of the students, one of the alumni had put me in touch with. As it turns out, she had pulled an all-nighter for some conference that she was planning, but she still seemed (relatively) coherent and happy to talk to me.

Another student was running for one of the leadership positions in the student coucnil, and I asked her about her platform (for some reason a lot of students were running on similar platforms), and we started chatting about her background.

All the students seemed extremely down to earth too – which is important for me. The campus is nice, and if you want to get away (a bit) from the hustle/bustle of city life, it’s a good choice. If you want to still be in touch with the city, sure you could go down to NYC every weekend…

You're an AMBA student. There was someone from last yr who ended up at Kellogg 1 Yr program and realized that as soon as he quit his job for bschool, he had to look for another job once the Fall recruiting began.... Why did you choose AMBA?
Money! It’s cheaper and less lost salary!

Well, that was definitely a big part of it. I had serious concerns about the program itself since I felt that “networking” was a big part of going to b-school, and it was basically a year’s lost time for networking. Also, you would lose out on the internship experience, and what about all the classes you want to take, like “introduction to culinary arts” and “introduction to wines”!

What changed my mind was a discussion I had with Randall Sawyer when he was in Boston on the MBA tour, and the fact that all 4 alumni I had talked to (who were all AMBA students) were extremely supportive of it being the right decision for them. (They did caveat that if you wanted to go into certain fields – ie Ibanking – which relies on internships as feeders into the industry, you might want to consider a 2 year program). After talking with these alumni about my background and plans, they reiterated that they felt the program would be a good choice for me.

Yeah, you do lose out a little bit, but the AMBA cohort is extremely tight knit as a result of the suffer… errr intense summer experience they experience, and there’s definitely something to be said about the quality of your relationships as well as the quantity. And the point about classes – as my 2nd year interviewer stated – you’re always going to feel like you want to do more….

About the recruiting point – yea. I’m already looking for my next job... b/c I know I won’t have much time before September rolls around.

The AMBA I think is for people who know what they want to do – this was made clear by pretty much adcom as well as students and alumni, but I think I have a pretty firm handle on that. Also, the learning from people of the more experienced type (all AMBA’s tend to be a bit older) was something that the people I talked to was a benefit as well.

One of the most disturbing thing since I joined YSOM is all the campus security emails they send out to every student (required by Fed law) whenever a student is mugged and etc. Would you be disturbed by similar emails at Cornell whenever a student is attacked by a Grizzly bear, honeybee, Bigfoot and other monsters in the wilderness of Ithaca?
I’ve pretty much been a city boy (Bronx, then Queens, then Boston area), and you know, if a Grizzly bear got beef…. Bring it on! (How about a Grizzly cow?)

Yeah… I definitely had some concerns about the whole “I’m used to being in a city, and now I won’t be in a big city”. But, this went away when I went and visited Ithaca. I ate at 2 restaurants, and they were GOOD restaurants. I love Chinese food (I’m Chinese), and I wanted authentic Chinese food, and I was definitely able to find it there. So, I was all set on the food front. As for the “well, what am I going to do in my free time.” My first response was “Will I have free time?” and “If I have free time, would I rather sleep or do something else?” As you so pointedly pointed out earlier, I’m “old”, and us “old people” need our beauty sleep…
If there were constant grizzly bear maulings, or bee attacks, I’d probably just end up sleeping in Sage Hall, oh wait…

What are your plans after bschool? With your awesome GMAT score, perhaps you can take a shot in MGT consulting? Also, I have no idea why I keep using the word "awesome" in every sentence. Do you think I should be concerned about this "condition"?
I had a class (for work) once, and they wanted me to put together a project plan. (It was one of those “program management classes”. I was intent on world domination at the time. Getting into business school was phase 1. Getting out of business school was phase 2. Phase 3 was to achieve world domination. I think I’ll be working on phase 3.

Since I’ll need able henchmen, as well as good planning and strategy, I’m thinking strategy/organizational management – the better to lord over the masses, and command the armies. (Massive armies and bureaucracy don’t just manage themselves…). Outside of that, *maybe* product management, as I need to be able to either sell my wares to the whole world, or come up with some new widgets with which to bend the world to my will (mind control device anyone?)

MGT consulting. Why would I want to help someone else take over the world when that’s my goal? That’s just silly…
Hrmm… I think that plan was supposed to remain secret.
Well, about MGT consulting, I like my sleep and lifestyle, and I’m not that fond of travel. (There’s dangerous bears on those planes…) . That and as someone pointed out, those probably would require an “internship” (ie 2 year program) to get into… although it’s not completely unknown apparently. So, yeah, I like the “Function” of MGT consulting, and maybe I could do it, but, I don’t think it meets my lifestyle needs.

I feel that strategy, organizational management, or product management is a good complement to product development. It’s not a huge migration from what I was doing previously, and it gives me better advancement opportunities upwards.

If you're trying to take over the world, I don't think you need to worry about any of your "conditions" I can "take care" of that for you... :twisted:

You have the word "piano" in your Gclub member name. Are you any good on piano? If so, it can definitely come in handy during the cold nights in Ithaca where you can perhaps put on a performance for the ladies?
Actually, yeah – I used to play the piano. And I liked the Billy Joel song “Pianoman”. Unfortunately, most times “xpianoman” is actually taken. (How many people out there really play the piano – come on!). I haven’t played in a while. I am musically inclined in other ways though. (You should hear my dog clap for me when I stop…)

I think I’ll probably end up in the Game Theory club at Johnson, in addition to perhaps the golf, tennis clubs as well… Wait, those are outdoor activities that don’t help when it’s cold outside! I guess I’ll have to rely on other “performances” to impress the ladies…

As a soon to be Cornell student, you need to pick out another icy (oops, I meant ivy) school to hate on, for no reason whatsoever. Which ivy will you pick on and why?
For my icy school to hate, I pick Wasilla High School located in Wasilla, Alaska. Former Governor Palin went there... (I’m a registered independent in my home state and don’t really care much one way or another about the Former Governor).

Oh wait, you want ivy’s? Yeah, I’m totally gonna hate on Scindapsus aureus - syn Epipremnum aureum, aka Devil’s Ivy, just b/c they’re EVIL :twisted:

Oh, Ivy school? Harvard, b/c they rejected me in the past for undergrad, and b/c I’m “too old” for them. *shakes fist*

As a soon to be ivy league student, you are required to wear short sleeve Polos (with collars popped up) even when it is snowing outside. Which Polos do you prefer and do you have your own special method to keep the collars up all day long?
Ummm… I have maybe 3 polo shirts… I guess I’d better hope it’s really cold all the time if I have to keep the collars popped up. This way, I won’t sweat (and can reuse the shirts), and I can ice the collars so they’ll be fresh looking!

I think I like the free, comfortable, non-starchy types of polos to be honest...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 2010 - Nine Questions with a GMAT Club Member - Apply Now [#permalink]