Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [41]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619227 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: 3 persons (1 couple and 1 single) are seated at random in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Total ways to arrange 3 people with 5 total slots = 5C3 = 10

Ways to arrange the couple, so they have a space in between:

(1) X/Y __ Y/X __ __ (2 ways)
(2) __ __ X/Y __ Y/X (2 ways)
(3) __ X/Y __ Y/X __ (2 ways)

6 total ways to separate the couple

6/10 = 3/5

D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1822 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Bookmarks
keiraria wrote:
3 persons (1 couple and 1 single) are seated at random in a row of 5 chairs. What is the probability that the couple does not sit together?

A. 5/7
B. 4/5
C. 2/5
D. 3/5
E. 11/18

Given: {H} {W} {S} will attempt to seat on _ _ _ _ _ seats

How many ways for {H} {W} {S} to seat on _ _ _ _ _ seats? 5*4*3
How many ways for {HW} {S} to seat together on _ _ _ _ _ seats? 4*3 Then multiply by 2 to account for the arrangement of HW. 4*3*2!

What is the probability of {H}{W} NOT seating together? \(=1 - \frac{4*3*2}{5*4*3} = 1 - \frac{2}{5} = 3/5\)

Answer: D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATDemiGod wrote:
why for this question are we doing 5!/2! for the chairs to people?

I recall from a circular question, when there was 4 men and 4 women sitting around the table, and we had to calculate the number of ways if all the women sat together.

which was (4-1)! * 4C1 * 4!

So why is this question 5!/2! instead of 5C3 ?

We can incorporate this question into my confusion surrounding this "https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-x-people-and-y-chairs-in-a-room-where-x-and-y-are-170525.html"

There are x people and y chairs in a room where x and y are positive prime numbers. How many ways can the x people be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one person)?

(1) x + y = 12. Since x and y are primes, then x=5 and y=7 OR x=7 and y=5.

If x=5 and y=7, the number of arrangements would be C57∗5!=7!2!, where C57 is the number of way to choose 5 chairs from 7, and 5! is the number of arrangements of 5 people on those chairs.

If x=7 and y=5, the number of arrangements would be C57∗5!=7!2!, where C57 is the number of way to choose 5 people who will get the chairs, and 5! is the number of arrangements of 5 people on those chairs.

I think you are confusing between straight up arrangements of n things in a row = n! and arrangement of n people around a table = circular arrangement = (n-1)!

For the question : 3 people (1 couple and 1 single), we are doing 5!/2! to account for 5 'things' to arrange (C1,C2, S,E,E where Es are empty seats) and 2! accounts for the 2 empty seats.

You can not do 5C3 as this will remove the cases when you have EEC1C2S or EC1C2ES etc.

The other question you are referring to is a bit different. I would suggest that you read the solution (there-are-x-people-and-y-chairs-in-a-room-where-x-and-y-are-170525.html#p1358628) carefully and mention your doubt in that thread.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
SergeyOrshanskiy wrote:
The single person is no different from an empty chair :lol:

Thus, there are \(\frac{{5*4}}{2}=10\) ways to pick two chairs for the couple, but only 4 in which they sit together (CCEEE, ECCEE, EECCE, EEECC).

1 - 4/10 = 3/5 is the answer.

The perspective we often use to solve such questions is this: The vacant seats are no different from two identical people. Assume that each vacant spot is taken by an imaginary person V.

'The single person is no different from an empty chair' is a refreshing perspective that we can use! Good point!
Assume the rest of the three chairs are vacant. Since it is a probability question, the probability we will obtain will be correct. Mind you, the number of ways in which you can arrange a couple and an individual is not given by 10. It is given by 60 only (as shown by Bunuel above). But 10 is the number of ways in which we can choose 2 seats for a couple. In 4 of those 10 ways, the seats will be next to each other and in 6 cases they will not be. Hence the probability obtained will be 3/5.
You can also think that you can make the husband and the wife sit in 2 of the 5 chairs in 5*4 = 20 ways. Out of these, in 4*2 = 8 ways, they will sit next to each other. In 12 ways, they will not sit next to each other. So probability will still remain 12/20 = 3/5

As discussed before, in probability questions, whatever logic you use to get the numerator, use the same logic to get the denominator.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 213
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
3 persons (1 couple and 1 single) are seated at random in a [#permalink]
why for this question are we doing 5!/2! for the chairs to people?

I recall from a circular question, when there was 4 men and 4 women sitting around the table, and we had to calculate the number of ways if all the women sat together.

which was (4-1)! * 4C1 * 4!

So why is this question 5!/2! instead of 5C3 ?

We can incorporate this question into my confusion surrounding this "https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-x-people-and-y-chairs-in-a-room-where-x-and-y-are-170525.html"

There are x people and y chairs in a room where x and y are positive prime numbers. How many ways can the x people be seated in the y chairs (assuming that each chair can seat exactly one person)?

(1) x + y = 12. Since x and y are primes, then x=5 and y=7 OR x=7 and y=5.

If x=5 and y=7, the number of arrangements would be C57∗5!=7!2!, where C57 is the number of way to choose 5 chairs from 7, and 5! is the number of arrangements of 5 people on those chairs.

If x=7 and y=5, the number of arrangements would be C57∗5!=7!2!, where C57 is the number of way to choose 5 people who will get the chairs, and 5! is the number of arrangements of 5 people on those chairs.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts