Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 11:30 It is currently 12 May 2024, 11:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 05-25-2012
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: 470 and so it begins [#permalink]
speare13 wrote:
thanks Gladiator999.

The Quant concept books you mention, is it the Official Guide's Quantitative Review, or is there an even better one?

Start with the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides . there are 4 Quant books in that. Go through them and then you can see the difference buddy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Like gladiator said, pick up the Manhattan GMAT quant books. You might also want to get their fundamentals strategy guide. Certainly don't give up. I went from a Q25 to a Q47 using the MGMAT and OG materials. Don't let the change in the test worry you. The only thing that's changing is the issue essay is being replaced with integrated reasoning. You can't study for it and like the AWA it won't count in your overall score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So after studying about 30 hours a week for the last two weeks I have noticed no increase (possibly even a decrease) in my quant skills from studying the veritas prep books and going to class.

On the suggestion of you guys I have ordered the MGMAT Quant books along with the OG Quant review. these books are far better than the veritas ones and after one day of studying from them I can see the difference.

However I am now 67 days away from my GMAT appointment and have a lot of ground to cover. So myself and a fellow veritas student met with a private tutor today and after a 2 hour discussion we are nearly certain we are going to drop the veritas class and simply go with the semi-private tutor for two 2 hour sessions per week for the next 9 weeks.

Coincidentally 20 sessions with him is going to be cheaper than the entire veritas program. which has 1 teacher to 17 students, mean while semi private tutoring is 1 teacher to 2 students and the lessons will be taylored directly to each of our problem area's. I feel this will be best for me as right now in the quant lessons at veritas it is going by too fast for me to grasp and the entire veritas program is design around the false assumption of its students having a strong fundamental math knowledge... which I don't have.

I know its a fairly sudden change in strategy this close to the test, however veritas was not teaching me what I needed to learn in a way that was going to help so a new approach was needed
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just took my second practice CAT and scored a 590 Q40 V31

It appears that leaving the Veritas prep course and venturing out with a personal tour has worked according to plan. After studying on average 20 to 30 hours a week my quant score has gone from a 15 to a 40 in just under two months. However in the past two months I have worked only on quant, my plan now is to work on my verbal score and continue to do regular quant review.

Something I found encouragement for further quant improvement, is that after reviewing what questions I got incorrect, I was able to get the correct answer and see where I made mistakes.

now just 26 days left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Wow, my friend, keep on pushing, I am also not giving up on believing that I can improve my GMAT score. Keep on pushing till you hit your target score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dzodzo85 wrote:
Wow, my friend, keep on pushing, I am also not giving up on believing that I can improve my GMAT score. Keep on pushing till you hit your target score.

Thanks a lot.

Giving up and believing that it is well within your own reach to improve your score is a key factoring in doing so.

After all, if I can go from a 15 to a 40 in quant and still plan to improve further it is possible for anyone.
GMAT Club Bot