Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1567 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2528 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: 550 to 750 - How YOU can be just as successful [#permalink]
Very inspiring and great debrief.

Congratulations and wish you all the best with your application process !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, OD
Send PM
Thanks for such a detailed download....your story is inspriring!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
congrats for the great improvement :)
one small query from my side, is the Kaplan material suggested?
i am planning to go through OG12, manhattan SC, powerscore CR bible and the 1000 SC-CR-RC documents over the next two months.
will these be sufficient?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
How did you find the actual gmat compared to the gmat prep exams? Were they significantly harder?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congrats!!! I really enjoy reading your devriefing and the development. I'm in similar path, not smart although I think you're humble, but needing to improve 200 points. I hope to score high 600's but I have limitation as a non-native English speaker. I have the hardest time with reading comprehension and SC...my biggest weakness is the timing as you had talked about. I am hoping you can shed some light that somehow can breakdown my hung up. I have struggle with the flow and the staying with the passage due to lack of context understanding. Maybe I'm a bit ADHD as well...I went through all of the OG 11 and 12 and kaplan reading passage...along with Manhattan reading book. Not sure what else there's to do. I can see improvement with SC but so disappointed with RC. I hope you can help me see if there's something in the concept I'm missing here.

Congrats again...I hope to give you good news!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
First of all my CONGRATS! Very inspiring post!
Tell me please how would you rate verbal part of MGMAT practice tests? Did you find it difficult and have time problems or your problems finished with the beginning of verbal part?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Very impressive improvement. I had a similar experience, although your score is higher than mine. Congrats on your test performance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback and congratulations!!!

Now I konw waht else I have to do to get 700+, but I also have a question, I have just taken my GMAT and I got 530 43Q/20V, and I only have one month more to apply for European universities, do u think I should take the test again or better prepare more I wait next year.

And congrats again, you are the best!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 814 [0]
Send PM
inspiring story ... thanks for the debrief...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fivezero7 wrote:
congrats for the great improvement :)
one small query from my side, is the Kaplan material suggested?
i am planning to go through OG12, manhattan SC, powerscore CR bible and the 1000 SC-CR-RC documents over the next two months.
will these be sufficient?

Only you can answer that question for yourself, since I don't know where you're at in your studies. If your math is where you want it to be, and you wish to focus mostly on verbal, then I believe those materials should be all you probably really need to succeed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
How did you find the actual gmat compared to the gmat prep exams? Were they significantly harder?

You will hear different opinions on this, but my opinion is that they are the same. Sometimes you just get lucky with questions you know how to answer vs those that stump you, as the tests are randomly generated. That is probably where the variation comes from as far as people complaining that the real thing was so much harder than the GMATPrep. I would say that the real test is the same difficulty as the difficulty of GMATPrep the FIRST time you take it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pkayla2000 wrote:
Congrats!!! I really enjoy reading your devriefing and the development. I'm in similar path, not smart although I think you're humble, but needing to improve 200 points. I hope to score high 600's but I have limitation as a non-native English speaker. I have the hardest time with reading comprehension and SC...my biggest weakness is the timing as you had talked about. I am hoping you can shed some light that somehow can breakdown my hung up. I have struggle with the flow and the staying with the passage due to lack of context understanding. Maybe I'm a bit ADHD as well...I went through all of the OG 11 and 12 and kaplan reading passage...along with Manhattan reading book. Not sure what else there's to do. I can see improvement with SC but so disappointed with RC. I hope you can help me see if there's something in the concept I'm missing here.

Congrats again...I hope to give you good news!!!

Hi, you likely don't have ADHD if you are basing it on the difficulty of the reading comprehension. I am a native speaker, and I'm sure other native speaker can also agree with me that the verbal section on the GMAT is no walk in the park. The passages are dry enough to have anyone claim ADHD after reading them :) I know others have recommended reading novels and other such literature to improve reading comprehension skills. Although any reading is bound to improve your comprehension a little bit, I feel that that would be a waste of time, and inefficient way to improve reading comprehension. If you want to improve reading comprehension that would help with the GMAT, I would advocate skimming the abstracts of scientific research papers, or reading the newspaper, or magazines such as Newsweek, Businessweek, etc. Read for comprehension, and then afterwards try to explain to yourself what the main points of the article were.

I myself hate to read literary works, especially fiction. In fact, the last time I read a work of fiction was probably over a decade ago, in high school. However, I love to read newspapers, magazines such as the ones mentioned above, etc. Therefore, I did not have many problems with the reading comprehension section.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, congratulations! Well done! And thanks for your post, I found it really encouraging! I agree with you that study patterns differ, so I guess the tools used would differ from person...All the best with B-School
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Wou! excellent post (+1 kudo) and admiring performance!
I found smth new for me: i also do not like to keep a detailed errog log; I found it very usefull as well to stick to fundamentals not only on do hard V or Q questions, ( I have wasted a lot of time doing 700+- 750+ questions, however I have done a lot of mistakes on 600 level).

I am not native speaker and my Verbal is about 30 now (it was about 17-22 since my last test), so this is my field for improvement.

thank you a lot for your post it is really valuable for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Congratulations and thanks for the detailed info.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Tepper
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Research
Send PM
Thanks so much for this post. I just bought the manhattangmat books and I think they are awesome as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
great job dude ... you deserve it ...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderator:
Founder