Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [7]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Send PM
Re: 660 to 730! [#permalink]
Thanks, GMATLA!! I'm actually already in b-school. I just retook the test in order to make myself more attractive for consulting. They weren't feeling me too much with my old score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Congratulations on your huge improvement! I'm in the process of studying for my re-take and using OG13 as well. I've been experimenting with a somewhat similar organization technique by using five composition books to record work, answers and errors. I'm glad this technique paid off for you. Between your 660 and 730, did you only do OG13 problems?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HImba88, Thanks for the love, cuz. I didn't only do OG 13 problems. I did the problems in the mgmat practice tests. If I had scheduled the test for a week or two later then I would have done the math and verbal OG books too. My score would probably have been higher if that were the case (then again maybe though). Whatever you do just make sure you use the Archer and review every error until you know the right way forward and backward. Between June 20th and July 10th I was doing that a lot and you can see that it raised my score something vicious. I did it even more in the last 10 days of my gmat study and got a score that I only dreamed about before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
GPA: 3.81
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
vannbj wrote:
HImba88, Thanks for the love, cuz. I didn't only do OG 13 problems. I did the problems in the mgmat practice tests. If I had scheduled the test for a week or two later then I would have done the math and verbal OG books too. My score would probably have been higher if that were the case (then again maybe though). Whatever you do just make sure you use the Archer and review every error until you know the right way forward and backward. Between June 20th and July 10th I was doing that a lot and you can see that it raised my score something vicious. I did it even more in the last 10 days of my gmat study and got a score that I only dreamed about before.
So did you use the electronic version or hard copy of archer? I clicked the link and looks like there are three archer options for purchase. How many questions would you do before you reviewed the answers?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Paradox69 wrote:
vannbj wrote:
So did you use the electronic version or hard copy of archer? I clicked the link and looks like there are three archer options for purchase. How many questions would you do before you reviewed the answers?

Once I realized that there was an electronic version I only used that. With the way that they have questions in the official guide you get the equivalent to a certain number of actual gmat tests. I think it's 10 but you'll have to look it up for yourself to verify that. So for instance, if there are 124 critical reasoning questions in the official guide of increasing difficulty then probably 12 of the 41 verbal questions on the gmat will be critical reasoning. I broke it out like that and would sometimes do the equivalent of 1-2 whole tests in a day. Once I started doing it like, especially with the timely feedback I was getting from the Archer, my mind began to obsesses over it. It became more like a video game I wanted to beat instead of a stupid test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Firstly, congrats on the big score increase!

vannbj wrote:
Thanks, GMATLA!! I'm actually already in b-school. I just retook the test in order to make myself more attractive for consulting. They weren't feeling me too much with my old score.

Can you shed a little more light onto this. Do consulting companies rely heavily on GMAT score while hiring ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Thanks for the tip. Just got the electronic archer. At $14, I personally think that its worth it. The OG answer explanations suck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
Firstly, congrats on the big score increase!

vannbj wrote:

Can you shed a little more light onto this. Do consulting companies rely heavily on GMAT score while hiring ?

Absolutely!! Whether it's fair or not, even at elite MBA schools like mine I think it's one of the first tools that they use to weed people out. Last year a few were willing to talk with me but none save Deloitte extended an interview to me. And Deloitte extended that interview at the National Black MBA conference before they knew my GMAT score. (btw I highly recommend that everyone go there regardless of your race. It's an awesome opportunity.). I was told that top consulting firms won't even look at you unless you have a 700+. This wasn't completely true. I got them to look at me. But they didn't want to extend me an offer with a 660. It just wasn't happening. And it's not like a 660 is a bad score. I worked my but off for that 660! Even in the summer before we started classes at my school, the career services folks suggested that it might be a good idea to retake the test if our gmat was below 720. They said that the average gmat for those interviewed at any consulting company was 720 and that the average gmat for those extended an offer was close to 730. These were summer intern offers. So I guess my point is that the score on that test is more important than any score you get in any class and it will influence much of your career.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
vannbj wrote:
Absolutely!! Whether it's fair or not, even at elite MBA schools like mine I think it's one of the first tools that they use to weed people out. Last year a few were willing to talk with me but none save Deloitte extended an interview to me. And Deloitte extended that interview at the National Black MBA conference before they knew my GMAT score. (btw I highly recommend that everyone go there regardless of your race. It's an awesome opportunity.). I was told that top consulting firms won't even look at you unless you have a 700+. This wasn't completely true. I got them to look at me. But they didn't want to extend me an offer with a 660. It just wasn't happening. And it's not like a 660 is a bad score. I worked my but off for that 660! Even in the summer before we started classes at my school, the career services folks suggested that it might be a good idea to retake the test if our gmat was below 720. They said that the average gmat for those interviewed at any consulting company was 720 and that the average gmat for those extended an offer was close to 730. These were summer intern offers. So I guess my point is that the score on that test is more important than any score you get in any class and it will influence much of your career.

thanks ! that is is an incredibly useful piece of information
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
vannbj wrote:

thanks ! that is is an incredibly useful piece of information

No problem. Anything that I can do to help just let me know. I will see what I can do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-20-2012
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
Congrats! This is such an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
very nice !! God bless you for your dream school's applications.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts