Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Ross, Broad
 Q45  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: 750 - Q50,V40. THANKS ALL! [#permalink]
Congrats ! Walker :-D
And thanks for your debrief. We've learned a lot from you. Good luck for your applications.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I am little late to learn and be very happy about your official gmat score. That a wonderful job.
Congratulations to you. you deserve more than that. Hope you will stick arround.

Nice briefing. Walker, what you mean by "point 5 or 6 "?
How do you apply it?
All the best!!!

GT

walker wrote:
I’m really happy not only because I got 750, but also because it is very important not to give up and work hard.

Mathematics

I’m pretty well in mathematics, because I finished physical mathematical school, have Master of Science, Master of Finance, and PhD in Nanotechnology (Physics). So I needed to brush up on permutation, probability and remainder problems, and, of course, silly mistakes. Namely, a few silly mistakes prevent me from 51 in Quant. I can solve almost all problems (all problems on two exams) but silly mistakes test rather accuracy than mathematics. And guys, do not seek problems that very resemble GMAT ones, seek problems that can teach you. I strongly recommend GMATclub sets, although they sometimes go a little bit far away real GMAT, but they teach you correct math reasoning. My advice

1. Importance of first 10-20 questions. Be especially accurate with first 10-20 questions, because they are more important.

3. Understand concepts, reasoning, and where GMAT would like to trick you.

3. Work primarily on the weakest area of math. Use disassemble-assemble technique for your skills.

2. Restriction traps. Read a question slowly and a few times, reread again just before picking an answer. Seek restrictive words: integer, non-zero, negative, positive, consecutive, even, odd, different, distinctive, positive consecutive even....

3. DS-patterns. Learn typical data sufficiency traps, such as C-trap, that is typical for percentage and set problems.

4. Focus on hard questions. Do not solve all questions from your e-list. Choose the most difficult and common. Spend even a few hours to solve each ones and to find a few ways: how to solve, to guess, to solve back, to pick numbers

5. Guess. Go fast trough a problem set (or forum quant threads), spend no more than 30 sec to guess. This method is good especially for DS problems

6. GMAT club challenges are one of the most useful sets, because they teach you concepts. I do not like a typical question at this forum: "Does a score in X test accurately reflect my real score?". I always ask myself another question: "Does X test teach me new concepts and improve my skills?" In my opinion, GMAT club challenges are not accurately reflect, they teach.

Verbal

I started from very low level. As I said in some threads, I even did not understand CNN, beside a few words, such as Bush, NYC, and so on. I recall my fist paper verbal test when I spent 140 minutes instead of 75 minutes and solved correctly only 17 problems, using a dictionary. I also recall my diagnostic OG test after 2-months GMAT courses, when I got 25% right answers in SC section. I even recall my hard 2-month everyday work, when I improved my SC accuracy only from 45%-50% to 50%-55%. So, my advice:

1. I used iPod nano and everyday listened podcasts: Voice of America, Wall Street Journal this morning, Bloomberg and so on. It improved my mainly listening skills.

2. SC: Understanding concepts. Not only why an answer is correct, but also why other options are wrong. And it is also important to do SC under 1 minute.

3. CR. The more you understand reasoning of the argument, the easier you will find correct answer. I recommend use of “active” reading: try to find assumptions before you read the question.

4. RC. I tried two methods: Rhyme’s (skipping) and Gin’s (very careful reading). Both methods are good but Gin’s was exactly what I needed. I read slowly, but usually answered without return to text. I used “active” reading, restated each paragraph in own exaggerated words and always tried to answer tone and prime purpose questions before reading real questions.

5. Time. Time is very important issue. Only practice will give you confidence. I don’t spend on one question more than 3 minutes. If I cannot solve it in 3 minutes, what is probability to solve it in 6 minutes? Very small. Moreover, I use simple tool to control my pace. For example, I’m solving 23th question and see 30:00 minutes left. 23*2+30=76 – I need slightly increase my pace.

6. Concentration. It is very important to be concentrated only on current question, especially in Verbal. I imagined as each question is a monster in a game, a monster that can give or take my score and I need to kill the monster. After a few questions I was all in the game :)

7. Exam day. Do not drink a lot of water! That can damage your score :drunk

Exam day.

I was pretty nervous, but I forced myself to sleep and have a good breakfast. No water! When I started my exam I was still nervous and thought about anything but the exam. I applied point 6 about concentration and all went well.

Math was usual and easy. I recall only one guess on one 30-sec simple problem. I think it was a payment for nerves and killed my 51. I saw many powers and sequence problems, a few DS C-traps but very typical ones. In other words, it was a typical GMATPrep.

Verbal. I started Verbal as my last fight. Point 6 helped me to think only about current monster (question) and I even felt huge desire to kill the monster and take an addition for my score. I exaggerated RC and CR, restated all ideas in own exaggerated and informal words. These helped me not to return RC/CR because I remembered almost all (my post about memory: 11-t62631). Can I get higher Verbal score? I do not think so. Without live usage of language it would be almost impossible.

Time. Point 5 helped me to do with time what I want. Eventually, I had ~6-7 minutes left for each section. Do not ignore importance of time.

And finally, be positive and do not give up!

I would like to thank:

bkk45, fresinha12, uphillclimb, plicy, terp26, GMATBLACKBELT, mikeyakay2j – for your help and for this: 8-t62257
buffdaddy, GMAT TIGER, bsd_lover, sondenso, Nihit, Vavali, chineseburned, prasannar, jallenmorris, kazakhb, Snayt, giantSwan, kevincan, kidderek, kryzak, neelesh, gmatnub, lexis, barfer, tarek99, eschn3am, billyjeans, pmenon, rhyme, chica, marcodonzelli, bmwhype2, saravalli, vshaunak@gmail.com, vdhawan1, dushver, wizardofwashington, apurva1985, ritual, x-ALI-x, jimmyjamesdonkey, goalsnr, kyatin, JCLEONES, abhijit_sen, WinIT, neelabhmahesh, YihWei, paneer, navy01, saravalli, TheBigCheese, RyanDe680, rpmodi, incognito1, suyashjhawar, yellowjacket, farend, tamg08, RVD, 89nk, automan, lsuguy7, bepositive, ventivish, gixxer1000, altaurus1, getafixdruid, jb32, suyashjhawar, AlbertNTN, Tarmac, rahulgoyal1986, irishspring, sachinn, vishy007, HongHu, ashkrs, nervousgmat, yezz, Ravshonbek, ian7777 and many many many others!!!
bozo190101 – I saw you in the forum as a hidden nickname ;). Do not give up! Try again!
maratikus – for the almost same way of thinking in quant. I remember the problem with 6 matches and 4 equilateral triangles ;)
wawatan – for you brave attempts to teach me English speaking
tino – for introducing math symbols and your help
Praetorian, dzyubam, tino – for very usable site.

Thanks all again!!! Good Luck!
See you in application forum! And feel free to ask me any quant question in any time!

Yours Walker

P.S. By the way, my 1-year son started to walk a few weeks ago :) Be positive!
Attachment:
gin.doc

Attachment:
SC-idioms-and-rules.xls

Attachment:
Meeting-27-April-2008.jpg
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Point 5: Time: solve SC under 1 min, do not spend more than 3min per q, change pace depending on your current situation - control time throughout all exam to avoid guessing on last questions.

Point 6. Concentration. Do you remember your feeling when you was playing interesting game? You perhaps forgot everything for a while and was all in a game. I went through Verbal as through exciting game: killed questions. I reached my target - I thought only about current question.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Walker,

We all know how good you are on the quant side. How many questions do you think you missed?
Congratulations on a great score once again!

Kevin Armstrong
Madrid, Spain
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
I remember that I missed one question in first half (between 10th-20th) in very stupid way. Perhaps, I made 1-2 additional silly mistakes. Honestly, I considered Q50V40 as better score than Q51V39-38 and saved my power for Verbal. Game between Q51 and Q50 was rather accuracy.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
A 50Q is no small feat, and a 40V is great, too!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i think if you miss more than 2 question you are out of 51..thats just my experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
Send PM
Walker,

Congratulations...excellent score

Probably, you can throw some light at the DS traps,that you are reffering to in this post...Ctrap and any other traps...which might be helpful in saving time during the exam???

When you talk about the pattern of questions for guessing...Can you provide any details about these patterns?

Sorry for the late reply...but Congrats once again...i am working very hard to be in the same boat as you.

Thanks...waiting for your reply
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
bdumpala wrote:
Probably, you can throw some light at the DS traps,that you are reffering to in this post...Ctrap and any other traps...which might be helpful in saving time during the exam???

When you talk about the pattern of questions for guessing...Can you provide any details about these patterns?

C-trap is a typical trap for percentage and average value problems
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Congratulations Walker!! You are my inspiration :)
Thanks for all your wonderful posts. Wish you all the best for your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
congrats great score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
You did it!
Congratz
good luck in further steps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
Walker buddy, I am late, but a HUGE congrats!!!
I know you deserve it after all your hardwork!!!!
Awesome, just truly awesome score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Wow Walker. Great Score Congrats.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Oh since my D-day is coming near, not really check out this site. Congrat & all the best for your app ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Geez, Walker.. You nailed that GMAT monster! I just was absconding for a long time from this forum, doing other stuff and what a surprise when I returned. Inspiring is not enough to describe what you have done here..And thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this forum. Many a folks like myself would miss you terribly here as you start to focus on your essays. And also, thanks for posting the pictures from the NYC get together.. I have only known many of these folks by their "name handles" and it is good to put a face to these names. I have to admit that I am a big fan of the way you helped me with your math skills. Thank you and a good luck, both are heartfelt ones!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
Hey Congrats Walker, just logged in after ages as I am getting back onto the GMAT Boat. Ur score is phenomenal, just the push I need. Congrats and good luck with your apps!!!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts