Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [7]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
770 Composite (49Q&47V), 8 IR, 6 AWA on first attempt [#permalink]
I keep getting PMs re: Verbal and general strategies, so here are a few additional thoughts:

1) For Quant (and all other sections) get a set of prep books, and spend as long as you need getting the material perfectly -- don't worry about speed. There is a limited amount of info content on the test and you need to have it all down cold. After that, start taking practice tests, reviewing material when you're not sure about an answer. I like Manhattan Prep, but do whatever you need (I didn't use the advanced quant book, but have heard good things). Also, if you are not a native English speaker, you need to be reading academic papers (economic and psych are good) and good literature in order to aid your RC and SC, respectively. Try to do that as you go to sleep -- aim for 1-2 hours a night.

2) Go through your missed problems and be able to articulate exactly why your answer (and 3 more) are wrong, and why the correct one is the right choice.

3) Outside of prep book review advice in #1, you need to be reading and writing at a high level on a consistent basis. I just read a lot growing up, and am now an Econ Major / English Minor, so I read and write a lot (two distinct types) of probative papers -- I always have scored high 99%ile in writing sections of tests, due to innate & academic comfort with language. Honestly, I would continue to drill really hard practice problems and read difficult literature (with complex sentence structures). Try to write out some sentences with all the complex / esoteric rules -- it will help you develop a more natural sense of what 'sounds right.' Anna Karenina, Brothers Karamazov, etc. are good shouts -- anything from the classic phase of the novel, really. NBER working papers usually have some pretty complex syntax, albeit pretty technical. Reading isn't alone sufficient -- you need to use the complex structures you absorb in your writing.

4) I don't really have any 'general test strategies" other than a) do your most difficult section first, b) don't spend too much time on any particular problem -- cut your losses and move on, c) make sure you replicate test day conditions during all your mocks.
GMAT Club Bot
770 Composite (49Q&47V), 8 IR, 6 AWA on first attempt [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts