Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [54]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [9]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [5]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Re: A circle has center at origin and radius 1. The points X, Y, and Z lie [#permalink]
Thanks Eva.
I have a clarification here: I am not sure how you got the length of the perpendicular to side XZ as 0.5.Is it by trigonometry(sin 30 ?) ?
Also how do you say the perpendicular from the center divides XZ equally ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [4]
Send PM
Re: A circle has center at origin and radius 1. The points X, Y, and Z lie [#permalink]
Kudos
vinay911 wrote:
Thanks Eva.
I have a clarification here: I am not sure how you got the length of the perpendicular to side XZ as 0.5.Is it by trigonometry(sin 30 ?) ?
Also how do you say the perpendicular from the center divides XZ equally ?

Yes, is "hidden" trigonometry... In a right triangle of type 30-60-90 the leg opposed to the 30 degrees angle is half of the hypotenuse.

Good to remember: in a right triangle of type \(30-60-90\) the sides are \(x-x\sqrt{3}-2x\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Gotcha! i always knew this but din't strike me here :shock:

+1 EvaJ and you hit the half century kudos mark 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Kudos
EvaJager wrote:
vinay911 wrote:
A circle has center at origin and radius 1.The points X,Y,and Z lie on the circle such that the length of arc XYZ is (2/3)π.What is the length of line segment XZ?

a)√2

b)√3

c)2

d)2+√3

e)2+√2

I figured we could eliminate c,d,e based on the rule that for a triangle,the 3rd side must be greater than difference of other 2 sides & lesser than the sum of other two sides.I am stuck after that. is there an neater method?

If the arc XYZ is \(2/3\pi\), the central angle XOZ is \(120^o\) (2/3*360=120).
Then you can calculate XZ from the isosceles triangle XOZ which has angles 30-30-120, and XO = OZ = 1 = radius.
The height to the base of the triangle is 0.5 (opposing the \(30^o\) angle), so half of the base is \(0.5*\sqrt{3}{\), and \(XZ=\sqrt{3}.\)
Yes, is "hidden" trigonometry... In a right triangle of type 30-60-90 the leg opposed to the 30 degrees angle is half of the hypotenuse.
Answer B.

Hi Eva,

I would like to add few intermediate steps to the solution offered by you.
As Eva has correctly pointed that the central angle XOZ is \(120^o\)

Now drop a perpendicular from point X & extend the line OZ in the direction of that perpendicular & name that meeting point P
If you draw such triangle then you will that triangle XPO is 30-60-90 triangle.
Given XO = radius =1
We want to the height of the triangle XPO which XP & opposite to angle 60 degree.
Applying 30-60-90 theorem , we get XP = \sqrt{3}/2 and this height is the height of the original triangle XOZ

Property 1 - The Altitude to the base of an isosceles or equilateral triangle bisects the base & bisects the vertex angle.
Property 2 - The midpoint of the hypotenuse is equidistant from the three polygon vertices

Because the height (altitude) bisects the side XZ, thus is equidistant from X,O or Z
Therefore XZ = 2 x height = 2 \sqrt{3}/2 = \sqrt{3}

Answer B
I hope this extra long explanation will help many & sorry that i didn't include the possible diagram.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
vinay911 wrote:
A circle has center at origin and radius 1.The points X,Y,and Z lie on the circle such that the length of arc XYZ is (2/3)π.What is the length of line segment XZ?

a)√2

b)√3

c)2

d)2+√3

e)2+√2

I figured we could eliminate c,d,e based on the rule that for a triangle,the 3rd side must be greater than difference of other 2 sides & lesser than the sum of other two sides.I am stuck after that. is there an neater method?

Then you can calculate XZ from the isosceles triangle XOZ which has angles 30-30-120, and XO = OZ = 1 = radius.
The height to the base of the triangle is 0.5 (opposing the \(30^o\) angle), so half of the base is \(0.5*\sqrt{3}{\), and \(XZ=\sqrt{3}.\)

Answer B.

Sorry EvaJager, in fact, I agree with the result that the central angle XOZ is 120 degree. However, I am afraid that the equation 2/3 * 360 = 120 is not correct (in fact 240). The result of 120 degree of central angle XOZ can be explained as follows:
The arc XYZ is 2/3pi . The circumference of circle (O,1) is 2pi. Therefore, arc XYZ makes up 1/3 of circle (O,1). And the result that the central angle XOZ is 1/3 * 360 = 120 degree can be inferred.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
vinay911 wrote:

a)√2

b)√3

c)2

d)2+√3

e)2+√2

Answer B.

Above - 2/3*360=120 should be 2/3*180=120.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
vinay911 wrote:

a)√2

b)√3

c)2

d)2+√3

e)2+√2

Answer B.

i know this is incorrect but please clarify, if the triangle was isoceles , then XZ is [square_root]2 *1 = [square_root]2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Use the formula:

Radius of circumscribed circle = side * (sq. root 3 / 3 )

We have an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle. (confirmed by the fact that the angle corresponding to 2pi/3 is 120º) So we can use the above formula.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
GMATBaumgartner wrote:
A circle has center at origin and radius 1. The points X, Y, and Z lie on the circle such that the length of arc XYZ is (2/3)π.What is the length of line segment XZ?

A. √2
B. √3
C. 2
D. 2+√3
E. 2+√2

The options are so easy to eliminate logically . We don't need so many calculations and can easily save time here .
Radius = 1 Diameter = 2 so options C,D,E are out
so the triangle formed by arc XYZ = 120 degrees . When you draw this triangle with centre 120 degrees and two sides (isosceles because of radius )
between option A & B we know that triangle with root2 when two sides (radius )are 1 is valid for 45-45-90 triangle only and here we have 120 degrees .Hence option B is definitely right ans .
Otherwise you can always follow the calc method .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
GMATBaumgartner wrote:
A circle has center at origin and radius 1. The points X, Y, and Z lie on the circle such that the length of arc XYZ is (2/3)π.What is the length of line segment XZ?

A. √2
B. √3
C. 2
D. 2+√3
E. 2+√2

In this case, we have to know that the length of the arc in a circle is given by L = thetha*radius, where theta is the angle extended by the arc on the circle in radians. Here L = 2/3 pi and radius = 1 unit. So thetha = 2/3 pi or 2/3* 180 degrees = 120 degrees.
If we make a triangle with OXZ , where O is the centre of the circle, then we will have an isosceles triangle where <XOZ=120 deg and <OXZ = <OZX (By property: Angles opposite to same sides - in this case radius- are same) = 30 deg.
Now apply sine rule of triangles to find out the length of XZ.
OX/sin 30 = XZ/ sin 120 . {OX= radius = 1; sin 30 = 1/2; sin 120 = root3/2}
XZ comes out to be root 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBaumgartner wrote:

A. √2
B. √3
C. 2
D. 2+√3
E. 2+√2

Draw a circle with radius 1 and place xyz on the top half of the circle. since arc length =(2/3) pi we can use the fact that the central angle/360 is the fraction of the circle we are dealing with. let y be the measure of the central angle. then (y/360)*2*pi*(1) = 2/3 pi ---> y/360 = 1/3 ---> y=120. Now connect xz to form tirangle xyz. no matter where you place the angle and the arc the angle y should be cut in half so we have 2 30-60-90 triangles and xz = 2*large leg while the hypotenuse is the radius. so if hyp = 1, then large leg = (root3)/2 so then 2*(root3)/2 = root 3 OA is B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
GMATBaumgartner wrote:

A. √2
B. √3
C. 2
D. 2+√3
E. 2+√2

Bunuel chetan2u GMATinsight IanStewart ScottTargetTestPrep fskilnik VeritasKarishma yashikaaggarwal

Dear experts,

Is this question a GMAT type question?

If yes, then is there an easier way to solve this..? A way through which a commerce student can both understand and solve.. (The math in commerce is nowhere near to a science or an engineering graduate's syllabus.)

I read all the posts multiple times in order to make sense of solutions mentioned in them, but it seems as if all these posts are by engineering students or math majors.

One explanation states 30-30-120 triangle :dazed
Other one L = thetha×radius :dazed ^2
Then trigonometry...

Sometimes I feel GMAT is a biased exam. I mean what will I do if such question comes on the real test. I'll simply lose one chance of scoring while someone who has studied this in his or her graduation will not. I'm 100% sure all the 760+ people are either engineers or math majors. :lol:

Apologies if I hurt anyone's feeling, knowingly or unknowingly.

Thank you :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's an official problem, so it can definitely show up on the test. I don't think you need to be an engineer to solve it, but it is a good idea to draw a diagram (something I can't easily do here, but hopefully this is easy enough to follow) :

The circle has radius 1, so its circumference is 2π. If an arc has length 2π/3, it is 1/3 of the circumference, so the angle at the center of the circle will be 1/3 of 360 degrees, or 120 degrees.

So if we draw the triangle XOZ, where O is the center of the circle, we'll get an isosceles triangle, where two sides are radii of the circle and have length 1. We have a 120 degree angle at the center of the circle, so the other two equal angles must be 30 degrees.

So really the question is: if you have a 30-30-120 triangle with two sides of length 1, what is the length of the third (long) side? Since we don't know anything about 120 degree angles, we'll want to divide that angle up: if we draw a height, using the long side as our base, we'll divide the 30-30-120 triangle into two identical 30-60-90 triangles. In any 30-60-90 triangle, the sides are in a 1 to √3 to 2 ratio. Here we know the hypotenuse of each 30-60-90 is just 1, which is half of 2, so the sides of each 30-60-90 here are 1/2, √3/2 and 1 (cutting all the lengths in the 30-60-90 in half). √3/2 is the length opposite the 60 degree angle, and that's half of what we're asked to find, so the answer is √3.

You can also guess well here. If you can see you want to find the length of a proper chord of a circle of diameter 2, you can already rule out every answer that is 2 or larger, so that alone lets you guess between A and B. If you also notice the length we want belongs to a triangle with 30-30-120 angles, you can very confidently guess √3, because there's no reason a √2 would ever show up in a question with angles like this -- we see √2 when we have 45-45-90 triangles, not when we have 30 or 60 degree angles.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos