Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Re: A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary res [#permalink]
Kudos
After re-reading it, I agree with you Paul. C is the answer, as the conclusion is logically drawn.

I misread it to conclude that "no drug can be tested with a double blind study", not as "this drug (which supported by evidence) can be tested with a double blind study".

:lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary res [#permalink]
Kudos
what does Anti-consideration in B even mean?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
A.

C - Second bold statement is not the main idea.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
Geethu wrote:
A.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)

Originally posted by Paul on 23 Aug 2004, 13:59.
Last edited by Paul on 23 Aug 2004, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
SigEpUCI wrote:
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.

there are no OA so all we can do is debate on this question :)
Sige, I don't agree with D. BF1 says that neither the patient nor the researcher knows what is being given. Can we not conclude from that that it is plain too risky to test the drug in question because the effects could be catastrophic if the wrong drug is given? Hence, can we not know the conclusion right from BF1? :shock:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
bumping up this old one for discussion again. I am going with A. I cannot see how C can be right. I think this is a special situation because the author talks about "this new drug".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Paul wrote:
Geethu wrote:
A.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)

The main idea is not that the drug will never be tested. The main idea is to show that the particular method od testing may not be viable for the drug. In my view the bf introduces the background for the argument and the second bf introduces a special case that weighs against the generalization made by the first.

I also believe A is a better answer.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
damit wrote:
2. (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary researcher knows whether the patient is being given the drug being tested or a placebo, is the most effective procedure for testing the efficacy of a drug. (2) But we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug, since the drug will have various effects on the patients’ bodies, which will make us aware of whether the patients are getting the drug or a placebo.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a general consideration that introduces the argument; the second is a special situation that weighs against the first.
(B) The first is a general principle that is necessary for this argument; the second is an anti-consideration that the argument includes.
(C) The first is a premise that this argument includes; the second is a main idea that can be drawn from this argument.
(D) The first is an evidence that this argument includes; the second is a conclusion that can not be drawn from this argument.
(E) The first is a general situation that supports this argument; the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from a special fact.

Long time no discussion on this one .
I will go with A
there is no OA for this one, if somebody knows the OA then kindly post the same.
IF OA cannot be found then we will have to discuss and agree on what might be the answer.
Thank you, please do contribute.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Hello Experts,

I am struggling with the terminologies in the BF questions. I have read all the notes provided by you guys and I am glad I got basic stuffs understood now. Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, my bad!! Even after reading the good stuffs, I still got stuck on the first practice question

I chose option B here. Could you please help me validate my answer.
The first BF can be classified as Premise/Fact.(Can this also be called as Principle?)
The second BF - "Conclusion"
"which will make us..." - Claim

I marked option C because that is the only option which gels with my explanation above.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
can anyone explain in brief why B is correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
rdrdrd1201 wrote:
what does Anti-consideration in B even mean?

Yeah +1, don’t know how to comprehend the meaning of anti-consideration. I have never met such a word before in any other BF questions. Anybody can explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Anybody can explain why B is the answer?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts