Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies [#permalink]
achanak wrote:
Thanks mSKR. I see one of the keys to your reasoning for E over C involves the clear separation between 'ancient' and 'medieval', where as I looked at both within the same context of being in the distant past

I still didn't reject C in my first reading but when I looked at E, I was sure C can be eliminated.
In my explanation, I didn't mention reject C because I was looking for best option. E wins over C by a huge margin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Send PM
Re: A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies [#permalink]
goalsnr wrote:
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear only in L, are called "alphabeticals", because they appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabetical.

Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the statements given?

A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.

B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.

C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.

D. Euripides’s Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary.

E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript.

Attachment:
06.jpg

I'm writing because I am not finding any satisfying explanation to why E is correct.

"The other eight, which appear only in L, are called "alphabeticals", because they appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabetical."

From here, clearly "Electra" is alphabetical and therefore does NOT have a commentary in this manuscript (L). But what about in the other manuscripts?

The key in the previous quoted sentence is "which appear only in L". Alphabeticals only appear in this manuscript, and this makes E true ("in any medieval manuscript"):

E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies [#permalink]
Understanding the argument -
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Fact.
Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. Fact
The other eight, which appear only in L, are called "alphabeticals" because they appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. - Fact
The Electra is one of the alphabetical. - Fact

Option Elimination -

A. Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts. - No. There can very well be others. We can't infer this from the argument.

B. The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works. - The reason is not mentioned in the argument. Wrong.

C. No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times. - change of reference of period. "Ancient time" is a period before the "medieval (middle ages) period." The argument discusses the "medieval manuscript" but not the "ancient times." The author uses the word "ancient" mentioned in some other context and creates this option. This is a classic distortion.

D. Euripides’s Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary. - We don't know. It can't be reliably inferred from the argument.

E. Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript. - ok. Extant means still surviving
GMAT Club Bot
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts