Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 17:36 It is currently 02 May 2024, 17:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620801 [2]
Given Kudos: 81728
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9257 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Re: A new interactive television company offering subscribers the ability [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
neerajgupta wrote:
Question type - Weaken
We need something that can weaken the premise that building are easy to rewire and close to servers. If the building are hard to rewire or far away from server then it will weaken the conclusion

I'd caution that you shouldn't be approaching weakening questions this way. Premises in CR questions are facts, so they cannot be wrong or 'weakened'. The question tells us buildings are easy to rewire, and that has to be true no matter what any answer choice says. The question also tells us most residences (but not all, and the ones that are far away may be important) are close to the company's servers. That also must be true.

This isn't a good question for a few reasons (for one thing, we don't even know what we're trying to do -- what does it mean for the "new service to succeed"?). But if we're looking for an answer that suggests the service won't attract many subscribers, we want an answer that gives us a reason, even though the service is easy to install and many potential customers live nearby, to think that people still won't buy it. The stem already gives us a reason -- it's expensive -- so I'm not sure why we need another. But there are three answers you could justify here (which is another reason the question isn't good) -- answer B suggests people won't be interested in the movies on offer, answer C suggests the people who can afford the service aren't in the region served, and answer E suggests there will be new competition that might make it hard for the service to attract business. Answer C seems like the strongest weakener, but we have to make assumptions to choose among the possible answers, which never happens on the real GMAT (and I also have no idea why we care that customers are "in close proximity to the company's servers" -- they're offering movies over the internet, not by bicycle courier).

Hi sir,

thanks for the input. You are right that premises are facts and those can't be changed. We need to attack an assumption. Your other feedbacks are equally valuable as they show us why OG questions are the best and other sources may not be as good as OG questions.

Thanks again for correcting my mistakes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: A new interactive television company offering subscribers the ability [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
neerajgupta wrote:
Question type - Weaken
We need something that can weaken the premise that building are easy to rewire and close to servers. If the building are hard to rewire or far away from server then it will weaken the conclusion

I'd caution that you shouldn't be approaching weakening questions this way. Premises in CR questions are facts, so they cannot be wrong or 'weakened'. The question tells us buildings are easy to rewire, and that has to be true no matter what any answer choice says. The question also tells us most residences (but not all, and the ones that are far away may be important) are close to the company's servers. That also must be true.

This isn't a good question for a few reasons (for one thing, we don't even know what we're trying to do -- what does it mean for the "new service to succeed"?). But if we're looking for an answer that suggests the service won't attract many subscribers, we want an answer that gives us a reason, even though the service is easy to install and many potential customers live nearby, to think that people still won't buy it. The stem already gives us a reason -- it's expensive -- so I'm not sure why we need another. But there are three answers you could justify here (which is another reason the question isn't good) -- answer B suggests people won't be interested in the movies on offer, answer C suggests the people who can afford the service aren't in the region served, and answer E suggests there will be new competition that might make it hard for the service to attract business. Answer C seems like the strongest weakener, but we have to make assumptions to choose among the possible answers, which never happens on the real GMAT (and I also have no idea why we care that customers are "in close proximity to the company's servers" -- they're offering movies over the internet, not by bicycle courier).

Thank you for your insights Ian!

It is for the very reason that I chose B - which directly attacks the conclusion regarding the “success” of the proposed service and not the premises regarding “easy installation”

And yes, from the GMAT questions there usually cannot be 2 right answer choices.

That said, some of the harder GMAT questions do put incorrect trap answer choices that negate / attack the premises directly

Posted from my mobile device
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 776 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Same, I couldn't choose between B and C, both seemed correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Focus 1:
585 Q81 V80 DI76
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
neerajgupta wrote:
Question type - Weaken

Hi Ian,

The premise says that they would not have problems in setting this up within the city..

I chose B and eliminated C since C mentioned that wealthy stay further away from city center but eventually within Hong Kong where the installation is still doable.. Could you please help explain?

desertEagle Bunuel Sajjad1994 happy to hear your comments too!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts