It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prepping for the last time....
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 21

Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:45) correct 48% (02:15) wrong based on 521 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation period of only 39 days. At this stage, the joey's hind limbs are not well developed, but its forelimbs are well developed, so that it can can climb from the cloaca into its mother's pouch for further development. The recent discovery that ancient marsupial lions were also born with only their forelimbs developed supports the hypothesis that newborn marsupial lions must also have needed to climb into their mothers' pouches.

The argument in this passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

a.All animals that are born after a short gestation period are born with some parts of their bodies underdeveloped.
b.Well developed forelimbs would have been more advantageous to ancient marsupial lions than well developed hind limbs would have been.
c.If the newborn marsupial lion did not climb into its mother's pouch, then paleontologists would be able to find evidence of this fact.
d.Newborn marsupial lions that crawled into their mothers' pouches could not have done so had they not had only their forelimbs developed at birth.
e.Newborn marsupial lions would not have had only their forelegs developed if this development were of no use to the marsupial lions.

OA After Discussion!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 287

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 08:14
raghavakumar85 wrote:
A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation period of only 39 days. At this stage, the joey's hind limbs are not well developed, but its forelimbs are well developed, so that it can can climb from the cloaca into its mother's pouch for further development. The recent discovery that ancient marsupial lions were also born with only their forelimbs developed supports the hypothesis that newborn marsupial lions must also have needed to climb into their mothers' pouches.

The argument in this passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

a.All animals that are born after a short gestation period are born with some parts of their bodies underdeveloped.>>> Never assumed, and negating this option doesn't help
b.Well developed forelimbs would have been more advantageous to ancient marsupial lions than well developed hind limbs would have been.>>> No discussion about the COMPARISON of forelimbs with Hind-limbs is done..
c.If the newborn marsupial lion did not climb into its mother's pouch, then paleontologists would be able to find evidence of this fact. >>> Out of scope
d.Newborn marsupial lions that crawled into their mothers' pouches could not have done so had they not had only their forelimbs developed at birth.>>> Correct
e.Newborn marsupial lions would not have had only their forelegs developed if this development were of no use to the marsupial lions.>>> Development can serve some other purpose also..

OA After Discussion!



IMO D

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prepping for the last time....
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 21

Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 09:09
No, That's not the OA anyways!
_________________

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 21

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 10:08
E

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 89

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 10:59
is the answer E
i am assuming forelimbs(given in stimulus) means forelegs

only D and E are close

d talks abt jumping into pouche using the legs
e talks abt legs development. the arg talks abt usage of forelimbs for further development of hind limbs
_________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 304

Kudos [?]: 685 [1], given: 20

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Difficult one .. will go with d

Kudos [?]: 685 [1], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 287

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:45
nverma wrote:
raghavakumar85 wrote:
A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation period of only 39 days. At this stage, the joey's hind limbs are not well developed, but its forelimbs are well developed, so that it can can climb from the cloaca into its mother's pouch for further development. The recent discovery that ancient marsupial lions were also born with only their forelimbs developed supports the hypothesis that newborn marsupial lions must also have needed to climb into their mothers' pouches.

The argument in this passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

a.All animals that are born after a short gestation period are born with some parts of their bodies underdeveloped.>>> Never assumed, and negating this option doesn't help
b.Well developed forelimbs would have been more advantageous to ancient marsupial lions than well developed hind limbs would have been.>>> No discussion about the COMPARISON of forelimbs with Hind-limbs is done..
c.If the newborn marsupial lion did not climb into its mother's pouch, then paleontologists would be able to find evidence of this fact. >>> Out of scope
d.Newborn marsupial lions that crawled into their mothers' pouches could not have done so had they not had only their forelimbs developed at birth.>>> Correct
e.Newborn marsupial lions would not have had only their forelegs developed if this development were of no use to the marsupial lions.>>> Development can serve some other purpose also..

OA After Discussion!



Initially chosen D, but i think C is also a strong contender here..!!

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 68

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 18:07
I'll go with E

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 22:02
Raghav - pls post oa

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 155

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 04:03
D
_________________


R E S P E C T


Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 06:01
IMO D...OA pls???

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 06:01
OA???

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 111

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 20:02
Is it E ??

Para assumes that the only reason for developed forelimbs is so that the offspring can climb into mother's pouch.
E provides and alternate theory for the limbs (useless).

My 2 cents (very first on this forum)

Any one knows the QA ? whats the source ?

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 02:45
IMHO B

The comparision of forelimbs and hindlimbs seems to be justified in this option.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Prepping for the last time....
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 21

Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 09:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Well, the OA is E guys! But, initially i thought it is out of scope and picked D.
_________________

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 21

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 956

Kudos [?]: 903 [0], given: 36

Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 22:43
Thanks ! Kudos for the question.

raghavakumar85 wrote:
Well, the OA is E guys! But, initially i thought it is out of scope and picked D.

Kudos [?]: 903 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1476

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 6

Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:40
E for me.

marsupial lions had ONLY forelimbs developed ==> because marsupial lions must have needed to climb into their mothers' pouches.

so the assumption is that marsupial lions would have had their forelimbs developed if the forelimbs were of no use.

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 6

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 89

Kudos [?]: 43 [2], given: 14

Schools: Wharton..:)
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2010, 14:37
2
This post received
KUDOS
newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation period of only 39 days. At this stage, the joey's hind limbs are not well developed, but its forelimbs are well developed, so that it can can climb from the cloaca into its mother's pouch for further development. The recent discovery that ancient marsupial lions were also born with only their forelimbs developed supports the hypothesis that newborn marsupial lions must also have needed to climb into their mothers' pouches.

The argument in this passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

a.All animals that are born after a short gestation period are born with some parts of their bodies underdeveloped.
b.Well developed forelimbs would have been more advantageous to ancient marsupial lions than well developed hind limbs would have been.
c.If the newborn marsupial lion did not climb into its mother's pouch, then paleontologists would be able to find evidence of this fact.
d.Newborn marsupial lions that crawled into their mothers' pouches could not have done so had they not had only their forelimbs developed at birth.
e.Newborn marsupial lions would not have had only their forelegs developed if this development were of no use to the marsupial lions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can't really understand the debate D vs E; d does not even come close..
use assumption negation technique:
E) new born lions would have had only their forelegs developed if this developement were of no use to the mansupial lions----- simplify----------- forelimbs are developed only because they have no use..
from the stem - assumption is ( beacuse the forelimbs are developed THEY have to climb blah blah ..)
so negating E weakens the argument and is the ans!
_________________

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Kudos [?]: 43 [2], given: 14

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: swimming against the current
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 30

Location: Chennai, India
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2010, 09:06
E +1
_________________

Gonna make it this time

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fore Limbs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2010, 12:36
E it is......GOT it right!!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 31

Re: Fore Limbs   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2010, 12:36

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A newborn kangaroo, or joey, is born after a short gestation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.