Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 20:48 It is currently 10 May 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622716 [44]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16670 [16]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [4]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Re: A number is said to be a “digifac” if each of its digits is a factor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A number is said to be a “digifac” if each of its digits is a factor of the number itself. What is the sum of the missing digits of the following five-digit digifac: 9, 5, 3 _ _ ?

(A) 5
(B) 7
(C) 9
(D) 10
(E) 14

Kudos for a correct solution.

For the number to be divisible by 9, its sum should be a multiple of 9. This number will also be divisible by 3.
The sum of digits we have now is 9+5+3 = 17
For number to be divisible by 5, it's unit digit should be 0 or 5. But 0 cannot be a factor of any number as 0 multiplied with any number will be 0.
So, the unit's digit will be 5. The sum now becomes, 17+5 = 22
We need a multiple of 9 greater than 22 i.e 27.
so, the ten's digit will be 27-22 = 5.
and the sum of missing digits will be 5+5=10

Answer:- D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [2]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Re: A number is said to be a “digifac” if each of its digits is a factor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A number is said to be a “digifac” if each of its digits is a factor of the number itself. What is the sum of the missing digits of the following five-digit digifac: 9, 5, 3 _ _ ?

(A) 5
(B) 7
(C) 9
(D) 10
(E) 14

For the number to be divisible by 3 and 9, the sum of the digits should be divisible by 3 and 9. Only D=10 satisfies. The sum is 27
Answer D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622716 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 7
(C) 9
(D) 10
(E) 14

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Here, the term “digifac” should look intimidating. You probably haven’t studied digifacs before, so how should you approach this problem? Well, keep in mind that digifacs aren’t being tested; in fact, the author of this question just made that term up, and then defined it for you. What makes this question hard is that the non-challenge-seeker (I think I just made that term up, too…) will see the unfamiliar term “digifac” and lose faith immediately. “I don’t know what that is!” She who finds the challenge in the GMAT fun, however, will read the definition and think “got it – I need to find the two digits that ensure that 9, 5, and 3 are both factors of the overall number, and that the remaining two digits are also factors”. And work from there. The number must be divisible by 5, so the only units digits that work are 0 or 5. And the number must be divisible by 9 (and also 3), so we need the sum of all digits to be a multiple of 9. 9 + 5 + 3 = 17, so our only options are to get the sum to 18 (by adding 1) or to 27 (by adding 10). A quick glance at the answer choices shows that 0 1 isn’t an option. Why not? That would require 0 to be one of the digits…and 0 isn’t a factor of anything. So the units digit must be 5, making the tens digit 5, and we have 95,355. That number is a multiple of 5, 3, and 9, so it works: the correct answer is D, and more importantly this fun challenge required no “trivial” information about digifacs…that term only existed to obscure the link between the given information and the path to the answer.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622716 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 7
(C) 9
(D) 10
(E) 14

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Here, the term “digifac” should look intimidating. You probably haven’t studied digifacs before, so how should you approach this problem? Well, keep in mind that digifacs aren’t being tested; in fact, the author of this question just made that term up, and then defined it for you. What makes this question hard is that the non-challenge-seeker (I think I just made that term up, too…) will see the unfamiliar term “digifac” and lose faith immediately. “I don’t know what that is!” She who finds the challenge in the GMAT fun, however, will read the definition and think “got it – I need to find the two digits that ensure that 9, 5, and 3 are both factors of the overall number, and that the remaining two digits are also factors”. And work from there. The number must be divisible by 5, so the only units digits that work are 0 or 5. And the number must be divisible by 9 (and also 3), so we need the sum of all digits to be a multiple of 9. 9 + 5 + 3 = 17, so our only options are to get the sum to 18 (by adding 1) or to 27 (by adding 10). A quick glance at the answer choices shows that 0 1 isn’t an option. Why not? That would require 0 to be one of the digits…and 0 isn’t a factor of anything. So the units digit must be 5, making the tens digit 5, and we have 95,355. That number is a multiple of 5, 3, and 9, so it works: the correct answer is D, and more importantly this fun challenge required no “trivial” information about digifacs…that term only existed to obscure the link between the given information and the path to the answer.

Check other Special Numbers and Sequences questions in our Special Questions Directory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hmm good question, got me thinking a bit. It's just recognizing divisibility rules. If each digit is a factor, then the number must be divisible by 3, 5, 9 (all provided). Everything divisible by 9 is divisible by 3 so ignore 3. If we take 9 + 5 + 3, we get 17. The only way to get a number divisible by 9 and 5 is to have it be a multiple of 9 and end in 5 or 0. Only adding 10 (D) gives a choice that is divisible by 9 and ends in 0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
9+5+3 = 17

17 +x = 9k
x = 5y

y = 2 ---> x=10
17+10 = 27
27/9 = 3

9, 5, 3, 5, 5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Every number should be a factor , thus it should have 5 in the end 9 and 3 multiples have 5 but 5 only has 0 and 5 as multiple. Now 953x5 to make a number divisible by 9 the sum of number should be multiple of 9. thus if we put 5, the sum would be 27 also multiple of 3, thus number would be 95355
School Moderator - LBS Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I think the choices given make it a whole lot easier to figure out.
Here the 3 digits given are 9, 3, and 5. For a number to be divisible by 9 or 3 the sum of digits should be a multiple of 9 or 3.
The only answer choice in which this is true is D. ( 9+3+5+10= 27 which is a multiple of both 9 and 3). All the other choices lead to a sum that are not multiples of 9 and 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
A number is said to be a digifac if each of its digits is a factor [#permalink]
EDIT - I read the question as "what are the remaining two digits" and not what is the sum of the remaining two digits. My approach is incorrect just thought I'd point it out rather than delete.

Answering a question 9 years after it was posted  :geek: feels like doing a treasure hunt.

So here's I approached it:

Since it's a 5 digit number we can ignore options A,B and C. Which leaves us with D & E.

It says the entire 5 digit number has each of its digit as its factors so we can simply test the options:

D : 10

9,5,3,1,0 ...... 1 Is a factor of any number so option D looks possible.

E : 14

9,5,3,1,4 ....... 1 is a factor so that checks out but the number is not divisible by 4 or 4 is not a factor so E is not possible. (divisibility rule of 4: for a number to be divisible by 4 the last two digits should also be divisible by 4. In this case 14 is not divisibe)

Answer D

GMAT Club Bot
A number is said to be a digifac if each of its digits is a factor [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts