Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:32 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [5]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A recent study has revealed that the use of a new anti-theft device in [#permalink]
Prob2303 wrote:
Can someone help me out with the answer explanation for this question? I don't see any in the discussion forum.

So basically the law enforcement is saying that the reduction in car theft is majorly attributed to the device. The question asks for an argument that would strengthen the law enforcement’s conclusion. E provides statistical evidence that the device works.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: A recent study has revealed that the use of a new anti-theft device in [#permalink]
The reason why I didn’t choose C: the answer says steadily increase over the past few years, but this year the increase can be a sharp increase .

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q76 V84 DI80
GMAT Focus 2:
615 Q78 V86 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
A recent study has revealed that the use of a new anti-theft device in [#permalink]
Kudos
The thing that makes this problem tricky is that it throws in something to distract you with the fuel prices and an alternative theory. What skill you need to answer the question correctly here is the ability to identify what is in scope and out of scope.

They're asking what strengthens the claim the device works. Therefore, you only need to focus on answers that directly mention how the device is proven effective. You may get tricked into thinking that by choosing "C" weakening the other claim would actually strengthen the officer's claim. But that isn't in scope. It's not what's being asked.

If that isn't enough for you to see why C isn't correct. Also see that answer choice C basically says that fuel prices have been going up and it's had no effect on the crime rate but then all of a sudden last year something happened and the crime rate went down. Well that "something" could possibly be the device or it could possibly be some other unmentioned variable. So it doesn't really strengthen the claim the device is effective at all.

E on the other hand, clearly directly strengthens the claim that the device itself works and is effective.­­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT Focus 1:
595 Q79 V83 DI76
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The fuel prices are the same regardless of the city . Option E touches that fact , where it's comparing the rates of theft in 2 cities, according to percentage of adoption of anti theft module . Thus supports the policeman view of why theft is low

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q76 V84 DI80
GMAT Focus 2:
615 Q78 V86 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
A recent study has revealed that the use of a new anti-theft device in [#permalink]

unicornilove wrote:
What about B?­

­B is a trick answer. It basically says that the device is effective and preventing thefts when used. Yes, you could logically deduce from that fact that maybe it would be the reason car theft is going down because they are effective but there's no proof that this is true and you'd be extrapolating if you do so. I see it as out of scope of what's being asked.

E on the other is like B but it definitely strengthens. "In areas where the new anti-theft device has been installed in fewer cars, the reduction in car thefts has been significantly smaller than in areas with higher adoption rates of the device."

It basically says that when people use the device, car thefts in general go down because it is a detterrance and car thieves don't want to mess with it.

Sorry I know this is confusing haha but it is a very nuanced but important difference. LMK if you need more clarification­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
My first quick POE boiled down to B, C, and E

My reasons for further POE'ing:

B - confused me but the stat is not leading to strengthening that the car thefts decreased due to the widespread adoption.

C - yes, initial thought would be that what if the prices of fuel had been increasing already, but what if the previous price-rise still could've been affordable.

E - presents a stat that makes much more sense than the other options. Also, fills the gap of reduced car thefts due to the widespread adoption of the device. (CORRECT)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts