Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [65]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619224 [18]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Problem Solving Question [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Guys,
My first post.
In case the metal width is non negligible , lets say its 2 feet.
then
Given: area=length*width=x, as width=3 3L=x

The length of metal strip would be the perimeter of the rectangle + 4 times the width of metal ie length of strip = x= 2(3+L) + (4*2)

Solving for L will give us 14 feet

Please Note the width of the metal strip is multiplied 4 times to get the actual length of metal strip.
Thanks,
Milan
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619224 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: A rectangular tabletop consists of a piece of laminated wood [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
niheil wrote:
Please help me solve the following Problem Solving question. It was asked in one of the GMAT Paper Tests:

A rectangular tabletop consists of a piece of laminated wood bordered by a thin metal strip along its four edges. The surface area of the tabletop is x square feet, and the total length of the strip before it was attached was x feet. If the tabletop is 3 feet wide, what is its approximate length, in feet?

Choices:
(A) 12
(B) 10
(C) 9
(D) 8
(E) 6

Answer
(E) 6

Hi, and welcome to Gmat Club. Below is a solution for your problem.

Given: \(area=length*width=x\), as \(width=3\) --> \(3l=x\).

"Wood bordered by a thin metal strip along its four edges" and "the total length of the strip before it was attached was x" means that perimeter of a rectangular tabletop is also equal to \(x\): \(2(l+w)=2l+6=x\);

So we have: \(3l=2l+6\) --> \(l=6\).

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

The Highlighted part: I am unable to visualize/understand, how the length of a strip (given) becomes the perimeter of a table top. If it said, total length of the table top is x then maybe it would make sense.

We are told that tabletop is surrounded by a thin metal strip along its four edges and the total length of the strip before it was attached was x feet. So, the length of the strip equals to the perimeter of the tabletop.

Does this make sense?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
niheil wrote:
A rectangular tabletop consists of a piece of laminated wood bordered by a thin metal strip along its four edges. The surface area of the tabletop is x square feet, and the total length of the strip before it was attached was x feet. If the tabletop is 3 feet wide, what is its approximate length, in feet?

(A) 12
(B) 10
(C) 9
(D) 8
(E) 6

If we let L = the length of the table, we have:

3L = x

and

2L + 2(3) = x

Therefore, we have

3L = 2L + 2(3)

L = 6

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
This question was highly misguiding to me. If it is written it is a metal strip, it automatically means that it has a separate thickness. If metal wire would have been mentioned instead of strip then the solution provided would suffice.
Because of "metal strip", I was unable to solve the question.

Will gmat give such ambigous terms in the question? If so, then what should my approach in solving them?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Send PM
Re: Problem Solving Question [#permalink]
Hey Milan,

Yeah, that's what I thought. If the width of the metal strip was non-negligible, then the answer would be different. I think this question can be misinterpreted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.32
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Ambiguous Question. Nowhere explicitly stated that we shouldn't consider the thickness of the thin metal strip.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
niheil wrote:
Please help me solve the following Problem Solving question. It was asked in one of the GMAT Paper Tests:

Choices:
(A) 12
(B) 10
(C) 9
(D) 8
(E) 6

Answer
(E) 6

Hi, and welcome to Gmat Club. Below is a solution for your problem.

Given: \(area=length*width=x\), as \(width=3\) --> \(3l=x\).

"Wood bordered by a thin metal strip along its four edges" and "the total length of the strip before it was attached was x" means that perimeter of a rectangular tabletop is also equal to \(x\): \(2(l+w)=2l+6=x\);

So we have: \(3l=2l+6\) --> \(l=6\).

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

The Highlighted part: I am unable to visualize/understand, how the length of a strip (given) becomes the perimeter of a table top. If it said, total length of the table top is x then maybe it would make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
[/quote]

The Highlighted part: I am unable to visualize/understand, how the length of a strip (given) becomes the perimeter of a table top. If it said, total length of the table top is x then maybe it would make sense.[/quote]

We are told that tabletop is surrounded by a thin metal strip along its four edges and the total length of the strip before it was attached was x feet. So, the length of the strip equals to the perimeter of the tabletop.

Does this make sense?[/quote]

Yes it does.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Hello,

I am having some trouble understanding exactly what the author of the question is asking us to solve. Could someone provide insight into what is being asked? Thank you!

niheil wrote:

(A) 12
(B) 10
(C) 9
(D) 8
(E) 6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Given: area=length∗width=xarea=length∗width=x, as width=3width=3 --> 3l=x3l=x.

"Wood bordered by a thin metal strip along its four edges" and "the total length of the strip before it was attached was x" means that perimeter of a rectangular tabletop is also equal to xx: 2(l+w)=2l+6=x2(l+w)=2l+6=x;

So we have: 3l=2l+63l=2l+6 --> l=6l=6.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Vinit800HBS please could you help me understand why the following calculation works?

We are told that 3L = x feet^2 and 2 (L+B) = x feet or 2L + 6 = x feet

Now how can we substitute x feet with 3L and say 3L = 2L + 6 or L = 6? because x feet is not the same as x feet^2 right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 732
Send PM
A rectangular tabletop consists of a piece of laminated wood [#permalink]
The wording is tricky, and I know that's sort of the whole point of the GMAT, but is it normal to disguise the perimeter by saying it's the total length of the metal strip. I took that to just mean the length of one side of the strip, given that they differentiate the width later in the question so why would length here mean length + width or (2L + 2W)?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts