Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 23:58 It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Re: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink]
varunmaheshwari wrote:
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

This is how i solved
Let the total no of upgraded sensor in entire sat be 30 ( ie 1 per 30 modular units )
now total no of unupgraded sensor per uinit = 1/5* 30 = 6
Total no of not upgraded sensore = 6* 30 = 180
Total no of sensors = 180 + 30 = 210

Target quest
= total no of upgraded sensors / total no of sesors

= 30 / 210 = 1/7
=D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
Send PM
Let total number of non-upgraded sensors be y
And total number of upgraded sensors be x
y/30 = x/5
>> y/x = 6/1
>> x/(x+y) = 1/(1+6) = 1/7
Hence, Option D

Please give a kudos if you like this solution
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
jagdeepsingh1983 wrote:
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

No of Units-30
Let there T-Total no of sensor
U-no of upgraded sensors in one unit
Nu-No of Not upgraded senor in one unit

T= 30U+30Nu

Now we know that Nu=1/5 (30U)= 6U

So Total= 30U+30*6U = 30U+180U= 210U

Fraction= 30U/210U = 1/7 Answer is D

Regards
Jagdeep
Give Kudos if you like my post

Hello jagdeep,
Thank you very much for your explanation, you turn a difficult exercise in a easy one.
But I have one question:

If you say T= 30U+30Nu, don't you assume each U is equal to all Us such as Nu is equal to all Nus? - N1=N2=N3=...=N30
I mean, every N is equal (and Nu) and the question didn't say it. Because I didn't get it, I couldn't solve the exercise.

Thank you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 247
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which [#permalink]
How I somehow managed to solve this fun one:

I started off by initially defining some variables:
(1) New = upgraded sensors on one unit
(2) Old = non-upgraded sensors on one unit
(2) Not a variable, but important to note that the number of units on the satellite is equal to 30.

Let's take this quote and translate that into an equation:
"number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite"

Old/30(New) = 1/5.

It's important to realize that the New variable must be multiplied by 30 because it states the "total number ... on on the entire satellite"

We can solve for New, which is equal to Old = 6(New). In other words this means that on a given UNIT of the satellite there is 6 new units for everyone one old unit.

Now let's get to our answer, since we're asked to find "what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?" we need the following formula:

30(New)/30(New) + 30(Old), and with our ratio that we determine above we can say that 30(New)/30(New)+30(6(New), which leaves us with 30(New) / 210(New), and 1/7 is our answer.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Just confused by the language....!!
When we upgrade a sensors why do we add them?....shouldn't we replace the available sensors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

My Approach:
Let, total number of upgraded sensors in 30 units be= 5
so, number of non-upgraded sensor in 1 unit= (1/5)*5= 1
Total number of non-upgraded sensors in 30 units= 30*1= 30
Total Sensors= Upgraded+Non-upgraded= 5+30= 35

So, fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded= 5/35= 1/7

Answer: D. 1/7
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Dear BrentGMATPrepNow, @Care

In my view, the difficult degree is not the math, but it is the English. For not native people such as me, I did not understand the meaning of the first sentence: "A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded".

Now, when my English grammar was upgraded a bit, I understood it as follows:

A satellite is composed of 30 modular units,
each of which is equipped with a set of sensors = each of modular unit is equipped with a set of sensors.
some of which have been upgraded = in each of modular unit, some of sensors have been upgrade (saying U), and the rest, of course, are non-upgraded sensors (saying Un).

Now, the total of sensors of 30 units is: 30*(U+Un).
the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is Un.
the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite: 30*U.

Un = 1/5 (30*U) = 6*U

The fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded: 30U / 30 *( U + 6U) = 1/7

In fact, in official math books in my country, authors avoid this wording style as it confuses readers.
Anyway, it is English, we have to accept.

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
varunmaheshwari wrote:

A. 5/6
B. 1/5
C. 1/6
D. 1/7
E. 1/24

A student asked me to add some graphics to my solution, so......

A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors.
So, here's a sketch of 30 modular units.

The circles inside each unit represent sensors. The circles with black centers represent NON-upgraded sensors, and the empty red circles represent upgraded sensors.
For my sketch, I placed ONE NON-upgraded sensor in each of the 30 modular units (since we're told that each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors)

The number of non-upgraded sensors on ONE UNIT is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the ENTIRE satellite
This tells us that there aren't many upgraded sensors among the satellite's 30 modular units
So, let's REDRAW the diagram to start with 1 NON-upgraded sensor in each of the 30 modular units

Okay, so if there's 1 NON-upgraded sensor in EACH of the 30 modular units, then there is a TOTAL of 5 UPgraded sensors on the ENTIRE satellite.
So, let's add 5 UPgraded sensors to our diagram to get:

At this point, our diagram meets all of the conditions in the question.

What fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?
We can see that we have a total of 35 sensors, and 5 of them are upgraded.
So, the fraction = 5/35 = 1/7

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent

Cares wrote:
Does anyone else find this problem hard to understand and translate into an equation? I understand it clearly after the explanation but I think it is poorly worded.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Thank you BrentGMATPrepNow
Wish you health and happy.

BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
I totally agree, TrungTiger
There are many official quantitative questions that test Reading Comprehension more than they test mathematical properties.
Great job interpreting the question as you did!

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
93184 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts