GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 08:24
Top Contributor
8 mins, all correct. Let me know if there are any queries.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 06:18
8.5 mins All correct. CABDEC

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 14:33
All correct...but taken 16 mins...:(...

Took time for 3rd and 4th question...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 04:23
9 minutes only 1st question wrong. was held up between B & C. eventually went with B to get it wrong.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 22:27
JarvisR wrote:
8 mins, all correct. Let me know if there are any queries.

HI JarvisR,

I got all questions correct except 43rd one.
Can you tell me how B is the answer ? dont seem to understand that.

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 00:54
Hi mikemcgarry or other experts,

I am afraid my interpretation is incorrect, but I have no idea what wrong I have.
Please help to correct.

In short,
the evidence implies that these insect
populations, if not self-regulating, may
at least be regulated by an agent more
intimately connected with the insect than
(30) are predatory birds or parasites.

I focus on this sentence when I sort of the weaken question.
I intended to make sure the relation of insect, agent, predatory birds or parasite.
I can get the idea of author that insect population is relative to an agent, but I am not sure the relationship between insect population and predator or parasite.

IMO, the core of the sentence is that insect populations may at least be regulated by an agent.
in this core, one comparison insects into the sentence, "an agent more intimately connected with insect than are predatory birds or parasite."
I view this comparison as insect VS predatory birds or parasite because "are ( regulated ) predatory birds or parasite " parallels to "insect populations may at least be regulated by an agent", but common sense informs me that it should be an agent VS predatory birds or parasite.

my SC reasoning is incorrect ?

if not, I have no idea, what should I follow, SC, or my common sense ?
Please advice.

thanks a lot

have a nice day
>_~
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 19:30
Please help with Q no 43...Why D is not correct option here....
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 00:33
8 minutes to answer all
B A C (Was confused between E and C, Chose C instead of E. found the passage is not questioning anything.) D
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 00:27
Nice difficulty level. Took 8 minutes to solve.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 09:50
Nice passage , took 8 mins 15 seconds to read, including almost 4 mins to read the passage . All correct

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 23:05
Skywalker18 wrote:
Nice passage , took 8 mins 15 seconds to read, including almost 4 mins to read the passage . All correct

well done - could you please explain why 1B is the correct answer? i didn't pick B because the passage says the cycle is 8 - 11 years, so just shortening the cycle could have been 1 day and thus irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 03:06
Is this really a 700 level passage?

Thought it was more a mid-high, than a high difficulty passage.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 09:29
1. We need to weaken the conclusion that something more intimately connected helps in declining the population.

Now, refer to the line prior to the highlighted one. "population ecologists’ attempts to alter cycles by changing the caterpillars’ habitat and by reducing caterpillar populations have not succeeded."

So, from B, we see that by changing the habitat in one particular way, there is a decline in the population.

Virus is not mentioned in the 1st para. Rest options are irrelevant.

This makes B the correct one.

2. " The common approach of studying causes of population cycles by measuring the mortality caused by different agents, such as predatory birds or parasites"

Thus A.

3. In the last para, "One of the attractions of this hypothesis" clearly mentions this as a hypothesis about the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera.

Hence, C.

4. In the 2nd para, "but population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it." Makes D the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:16
can somebody explain Q44?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 10:14
gauravmarwaha wrote:
I guess this is a new addition to the OG 16 Guide...Can someone explain question numbers 44 and 47?

44. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?

A. New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.
B. New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.
C. Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.
D. Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.
E. Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

It can be inferred from the bold lines that the insect populations (population cycles) is / are regulated by some other factor and not the ones mentioned in the first para (before the boldfaced portion). So, if we were to weaken this conclusion, what would be the best answer option?
I could easily eliminate options E, C and A and chose option D over B. Can someone help?

47.It can be inferred from the passage that while inside its polyhedrin protein crystals, the nuclear polyhedrosis virus

A. is exposed to direct sunlight
B. is attractive to predators
C. cannot infect caterpillars' cells
D. cannot be ingested by caterpillars
E. cannot be detected by new techniques of molecular biology

Well, I chose option D, which is wrong as it's explicitly mentioned in the passage that "Once ingested by a caterpillar, the crystals dissolve, releasing the virus to infect the insect’s cells" But I fail to understand why answer choice C is correct and how this option can be inferred. Looking forward to response from all you good people:)

Hi gauravmarwaha

it says:
Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses are hypothesized to be the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera in part because the viruses themselves follow an infectious cycle in which, if protected from direct sun light, they may remain virulent for many years in the environment, embedded in durable crystals of polyhedrin protein. Once ingested by a caterpillar, the crystals dissolve, releasing the virus to infect the insect’s cells.

So these viruses cant INFECT caterpillars' cells as long as these viruses are embedded in durable crystals of polyhedrin protein.

hope it helps :)

In English I speak with a dictionary, and with people I am shy.

Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 16:57
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please help me to understand Q42 . I am having hard time accepting it as hypothesis . As something can't be hypothesis if DNA based proofs are given. I referred following lines for the same.

"The recent work has been made possible by new techniques of molecular biology that allow viral DNA to be detected at low concentrations in the environment."

by this reasoning I end up selecting B as answer, as this is also a close call answer.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 07:26
Hi,

Can someone explain Q44?

44. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?

A. New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.
B. New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.
C. Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.
D. Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.
E. Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

I was down to B and C but went with C since the later part of the line dismisses the relationship with predators and the driving force of the life cycle
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 12:20
C, A, B, D, E, C ; not a bad passage to read...but takes little time to understand.

100% Let know if any one needs help!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 16:24
Can someone please explain this one:

47.It can be inferred from the passage that while inside its polyhedrin protein crystals, the nuclear polyhedrosis virus

A. is exposed to direct sunlight
B. is attractive to predators
C. cannot infect caterpillars' cells
D. cannot be ingested by caterpillars
E. cannot be detected by new techniques of molecular biology

Well, I chose option D

I fail to understand why answer choice C is correct and how this option can be inferred.

TIA :)
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 09:21
ritikajain1988

Once ingested by a caterpillar, the crystals dissolve, releasing the virus to infect the insect’s cells.

Dissolve, resulting into release of Virus, unless dissolved or in words of the question, if remains inside the polyhedrin protein crystals, it cannot release virus, thus cannot infect caterpillar cells.
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf &nbs [#permalink] 24 May 2018, 09:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap