GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 02:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:26) correct 68% (03:04) wrong based on 40 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches. Also, a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches. Find b.

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

V
Premium Member
Re: A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 05:20
Given-
HCF(12,b)=4
LCM(12,b)=48

Hence, 12*b=48*4
b=16

Bunuel wrote:
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches. Also, a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches. Find b.

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 08:23
for the given length of 12 inches the side b inches is found to be 4inches
so now to form a square ie 12x12 ; we need total 3 such tables
and so as to make table with min length 48 inches we need 48/3 ; 16 such tables
IMO B

Bunuel wrote:

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 09:53
What does it mean "The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches"? I guessed it means that every cube has a side of 4 inches. Is it right?
While "The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches" means that the square obtained with the few tables has a side lenght of 48?

Thanks, I am not english and am afraid I might not have understood the text right, because I find 24 as the answer.
VP
VP
V
Premium Member
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 10:15
You've correctly understood it.

If b=24, then use can use cubes of length 12 cm to cover the table; hence, your solution contradicts the statement given.

axelr wrote:
What does it mean "The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches"? I guessed it means that every cube has a side of 4 inches. Is it right?
While "The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches" means that the square obtained with the few tables has a side lenght of 48?

Thanks, I am not english and am afraid I might not have understood the text right, because I find 24 as the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 10:34
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

File comment: Pic
IMG_20191105_230233862_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191105_230233862_HDR.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]

VP
VP
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 10:54
This is wrong...though you get right answer

Table is not a square first of all.

Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches.

This statement implies that b is a multiple of 4. b=4k, where k is not multiple of 3.

a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches

This statement implies that LCM of 12 and b is 48.

12*b/4=48
12*4k/HCF(12,4k)=48

k=4
b=16

Archit3110 wrote:
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 5.27 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 11:03
nick1816 ; okay i got your point what I did was that I actually formed square shaped table considering 3 equal '4inches' sides i.e 12 each .. and so as to get min length side of 48 ; 16 such table arrangements would be required...

nick1816 wrote:
This is wrong...though you get right answer

Table is not a square first of all.

Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches.

This statement implies that b is a multiple of 4. b=4k, where k is not multiple of 3.

a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches

This statement implies that LCM of 12 and b is 48.

12*b/4=48
12*4k/HCF(12,4k)=48

k=4
b=16

Archit3110 wrote:
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 21:30

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

nick1816, Archit3110

Attachments

IMG_20191106_093716__01.jpg
IMG_20191106_093716__01.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 364 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2019, 21:30

A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics