Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619247 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619247 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Absolute Value Question [#permalink]
Bunuel, thanks for the explanation and the links. Between the two I think I pieced together the complete correct answer (I think the one you provide is correct but not entirely complete). I will outline the complete answer below (as I understand) and highlight what was missing from your explanation in bold so others can see how to arrive at the answer rigorously. If I go wrong anywhere or my understanding is incorrect please be sure to correct me.

abs(x-4)=4-x

Step 1: Set conditions (consequently the step I was skipping when I first did this problem)
a) x-4>=0
b) x-4<0 (you state that this should be x-4<=0 and state that this is where the answer comes from, in actuality this condition is strictly < not <=, in order to get the = part we need to solve (a) as I do below in Step 2 and ensure that it satisfies the condition set out above in Step 1a as I do in Step 3a)

Step 2: Solve the original equations
a) x-4=4-x solves to x=4
b) -(x-4)=4-x solves to 0=0

Step 3: Check the solutions to the equations in Step 2 against their respective conditions in Step 1
a) plug x=4 into x-4>=0 which yields 0>=0 which is TRUE hence 4 is a solution to the problem, i.e. x=4
b) because the equation in Step 2b completely cancels out we are left the with the condition from Step 1b as the solution, i.e. x-4<0 or x<4

Combining the possible solutions from Step 3 for both (a) (x=4) and (b) (x<4) (since we have verified that both ARE solutions to the original problem by checking them against the conditions set in Step 1) we come up with the answer to the problem, or x<=4.

I hope you see what I mean when I say that your method wasn't entirely complete. I just want to be very rigorous in solving these is all. However, if my approach is incorrect please do let me know as I will have to go back and re-read the rules on solving these things to make sure I have it down.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much, I hadn't realized that it doesn't matter which condition in Step 1 the = sign was attached to, i.e. as you say it can be to either the > or the < (in the links you provided the = sign always went with the > so I just assumed that this was by rule). This makes your solution completely correct! And everything else follows. Again thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let me add the definition of mod here:

|x|= x when x >= 0
|x|= -x when x < 0 (the '=' works here as well)

Therefore, |x-4| = x-4 when (x-4) >= 0
|x-4| = -(x-4) = 4-x when (x-4) <= 0 i.e. when x <= 4
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Karishma, that is also a very good and simple explanation. Thank you.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts