Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.18
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Addressing My Faults and Stressing Myself Out [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vltsai wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,

Well, actually, the "what to do" part is the easiest: Apply.

I mean you know you want to go to Bschool, and believe it will help you out. What can you lose? (I mean other than 200K in tuition :) )

Yes, it will be harder because you are not employed currently. But overall your work experience and the things you have done look pretty good. (It will also depend on how LONG you have been unemployed). Your unemployment (more than your GPA) will likely be a weakness in your application, so if there is something you can do there (like seek any sort of employment in your area of expertise), it will help. Otherwise, it only means that you may have to make a bit of a compromise in terms of schools.

And yes, it DOES matter what you have done this past year - and as much as possible you want to show you have done useful things (you know besides rereading your childhood comic book collection :) ). So learning French! Cool. As good as a job? Not really. But still, it's something!

HEC seems to me like a quite reasonable school, Booth will likely be a bit tougher... But still, I think you can keep things amongst the top schools in the US and Europe.

Anyhow, bottom line: Don't stress, apply!

Best,
JF

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! The work gap worries me, but I've been in talks with several startups who have told me that they'd take me with that extra degree, which is a big part of why I want to go back to school. I've definitely used the time to think about why an MBA would benefit me over a PhD or any other graduate degree, so I hope that I can communicate that this time has been used in a constructive manner even if it meant that I wasn't doing my typical biotech stuff. It still worries me, but less so after reading what you've said. So thanks again!

You got it!
One last tip - cast your net a bit wide and apply to lots of schools. If you are unemployed, you have no excuse for not applying to lots of schools and increasing your chances.

Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Addressing My Faults and Stressing Myself Out [#permalink]
I am not an expert of admission, but here are a few things that I know for certain will help you out.

1. Your GPA is not the biggest problem here. Your GMAT score is a clear evidence that you are academically superb. However, if you have big question marks on some of the courses in your undergrad, you should plan to make that up by taking courses/certifications as relevant and appropriate.
2. Your random profile can be turned into a huge advantage if you can layer it up with a clear story of how your past helped get a clear short-term and long-term goals, and how getting an MBA is highly needed to meet your goals. From what I read, you have a story that can make any adcom, while reviewing hundreds of applications, stop and say "Here's an interesting one!". However, if you can't communicate that past/MBA/future story thing in an interesting way, they will think you are just a lost guy.
3. For the work gap, it is indeed your weakest point. I think the two best ways to make that up would be a) Just like JonAdmissionado said, show that you have been doing many great and constructive things during that time. b) Even better, you can do the former and in addition join a company now and work for a year (which means you need to postpone your plans and apply next year in order to do that). Make that work gap part of your history instead of you current status. That should make a difference somehow

In all cases, you should always aim high. Aim high but also keep your feet on the ground. Apply to Booth (top 5) and apply to at least 4-5 other schools across the top 20 list. Booth, Stanford, and HBS have very low acceptance rate, so it's seriously not safe to apply to those schools only without some safety options.

Good luck making the best decision. Let me know if you have any questions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abdc99 wrote:
I am not an expert of admission, but here are a few things that I know for certain will help you out.

1. Your GPA is not the biggest problem here. Your GMAT score is a clear evidence that you are academically superb. However, if you have big question marks on some of the courses in your undergrad, you should plan to make that up by taking courses/certifications as relevant and appropriate.
2. Your random profile can be turned into a huge advantage if you can layer it up with a clear story of how your past helped get a clear short-term and long-term goals, and how getting an MBA is highly needed to meet your goals. From what I read, you have a story that can make any adcom, while reviewing hundreds of applications, stop and say "Here's an interesting one!". However, if you can't communicate that past/MBA/future story thing in an interesting way, they will think you are just a lost guy.
3. For the work gap, it is indeed your weakest point. I think the two best ways to make that up would be a) Just like JonAdmissionado said, show that you have been doing many great and constructive things during that time. b) Even better, you can do the former and in addition join a company now and work for a year (which means you need to postpone your plans and apply next year in order to do that). Make that work gap part of your history instead of you current status. That should make a difference somehow

In all cases, you should always aim high. Aim high but also keep your feet on the ground. Apply to Booth (top 5) and apply to at least 4-5 other schools across the top 20 list. Booth, Stanford, and HBS have very low acceptance rate, so it's seriously not safe to apply to those schools only without some safety options.

Good luck making the best decision. Let me know if you have any questions

Thank you! I don't think I have any big question marks on my academics, as all of my math classes (physics and calculus) have been great - that's the big thing, right? I mean, overall they want to see you perform well but if there's one subject they stress, it's math, and I think that I should be okay on that one.

I'm trying to clear up my story a bit and it's coming together more and more. The thing about my gap that I'm trying to communicate to the AdCom is that...without it, I never would have had the opportunity to really think about what I wanted going forward. After realizing that I wanted to work in a biotech startup in Europe, I learned French to talk to startups in Switzerland, which would have never happened if I wasn't able to communicate. In the process, I've been able to meet a great deal of entrepreneurs and scientists, and I was told to go get another degree, which set me off on the journey of studying and getting ready for an MBA education in the first place. So in my mind, despite it not being my proudest moment, I like to think that it had its place in motivating me to chase a dream.

That's basically what I'm going to have to communicate in the supplemental portion of my essays, I'm guessing!
GMAT Club Bot