Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, Consortium (Haas, Ross,Tepper)
WE 1: 8 yrs High Tech
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
bpengage wrote:
For people that attended DAK this past weekend, how was it?

Great event for admits of all ages (over 21). Like most schools they lather you with marketing and drinks, which become redundant after after a couple of days, though I'm certainly not one to complain about beer redundancy.

They did a great job catering to all the different types of folks that would be there, including people who are visiting for the first time, international students, those with kids and/or significant others in attendance, etc.

The events I enjoyed the most / found useful were:
- The student panels on different career paths.
- Dean Sally Blount's keynote. She's a very talented, inspiring speaker and it was interesting to hear how often she meets with industry folks. Don't expect a detailed/concrete action plan for the future as she's only been there 6 months.
- Sunday Brunch with clubs, great opportunity for 1-on-1 in-depth discussions about career paths.
- RED ZONE. I'll take 2 cases if it removes that accursed techno beat from my head.
- KWEST fair. Be sure to talk to the trip leaders to get a feel for their personality.
- Housing Tour. Develop your personal definitions for "vintage" and "extra vintage".

A few things for those looking at DAK II:
- Scout out housing ahead of time so you can quickly tour a range of facilities. People will tell you some pretty different things about the same building so you should definitely see for yourself.
- I heart earmuffs.
- May want to check out hotels other than Orrington and Garden Inn if you don't mind walking an extra 10mins. I stayed at the Best Western which saved some coin and better reflected what my daily campus commute might look like.
- The corndog joint "Weiner and Still Champion" is simply awesome.

All-in-all, I made quite a few great friends and was astonished at just how many amazing people attended. I was already convinced on Kellogg, but the event really reinforced the why I'd chosen it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BlackSwan wrote:
A few things for those looking at DAK II:
- Scout out housing ahead of time so you can quickly tour a range of facilities. People will tell you some pretty different things about the same building so you should definitely see for yourself.
- I heart earmuffs.
- May want to check out hotels other than Orrington and Garden Inn if you don't mind walking an extra 10mins. I stayed at the Best Western which saved some coin and better reflected what my daily campus commute might look like.

Glad that you enjoyed DAK! I'm pretty sure that earmuffs won't be necessary by the time DAK 2 rolls around in April. It's already starting to warm up and I have been ok with just a jacket recently. The Orrington and Garden Inn are both close to some of the popular residences for Kellogg students. The Orrington is a slightly better location IMO (proximity to campus, downtown, bars), so I would recommend staying there for DAK 2. The Best Western is actually close to the bars in spite of being further from campus, so you'd likely have a reasonable walk home after the typical Friday festivities.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
j81b2001 wrote:
Just got news of my Admit last Friday...still taking time to sink in! Congrats to all fellow admits. I am planning to attend DAK II and hope to meet quite a few of you there..

I am a 1Y MBA and given the short time wanted to get a headstart on post-MBA plans. Do any of you know of any resources (books or anything else) which gives a good idea of the different career tracks post MBA? For example what does a typical mgmt consulting or a in Investment Banking (various specific roles) or PE involve.. And also what are companies in each kind of roles looking for in their candidates...I know its a hard to compile list..but would be an invaluable resource..

I know reaching out to friends and alums works best. However I do not have any friends who are in or went to B-School :(... Will work on utilizing the Kellogg alum network in the coming days..

Thanks and lets rock when we get to campus!
--J

Unfortunately admitted students don't get access to the Kellogg alumni directory until school starts this fall, but Vault and Wetfeet have pretty good career guides that talk about various post-MBA jobs (consulting, IB, brand management), so that is a good place to start. You may also want to check out the careers forum here since there are discussions on a lot of MBA career paths, with students and alumni weighing in on what recruiting is like, what the job is like, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg (accepted!), HBS (ding w/int), Wharton (WL R1, accepted R2!!)
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
j81b2001 wrote:
Just got news of my Admit last Friday...still taking time to sink in! Congrats to all fellow admits. I am planning to attend DAK II and hope to meet quite a few of you there..

I am a 1Y MBA and given the short time wanted to get a headstart on post-MBA plans. Do any of you know of any resources (books or anything else) which gives a good idea of the different career tracks post MBA? For example what does a typical mgmt consulting or a in Investment Banking (various specific roles) or PE involve.. And also what are companies in each kind of roles looking for in their candidates...I know its a hard to compile list..but would be an invaluable resource..

I know reaching out to friends and alums works best. However I do not have any friends who are in or went to B-School :(... Will work on utilizing the Kellogg alum network in the coming days..

Thanks and lets rock when we get to campus!
--J

Unfortunately admitted students don't get access to the Kellogg alumni directory until school starts this fall, but Vault and Wetfeet have pretty good career guides that talk about various post-MBA jobs (consulting, IB, brand management), so that is a good place to start. You may also want to check out the careers forum here since there are discussions on a lot of MBA career paths, with students and alumni weighing in on what recruiting is like, what the job is like, etc.

I also found the 2010 employment report helpful:

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... Final.ashx
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
From what I understand they'll be rolling out some merit-based scholarships over the next few weeks, then the rest of the aid packages will come through the FAFSA and the Kellogg request for financial aid. Most people will get some combination of merit/need-based scholarships, corporate sponsored scholarships, and loans.

Did you get the "Kellogg Financial Aid" email from admissions yet? That email pretty much covers it all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
fahim305 wrote:
sratzi wrote:
I remember reading somewhere (probably in the Kellogg applicants thread) that Kellogg provides some monetary assistance to attend DAK.. has anyone else heard about that or know what that process is? I didn't see anything listed on the DAK website. Thanks!

i'm interested in finding out if this is true as well...someone please let us know if you have heard this is true/false

I believe certain admits get assistance, probably fullride folks and people like that. However, the vast majority will have to foot the bill themselves. Sorry guys, if you weren't given information about getting assistance then chances are you wont be getting any.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Dear forumers,

Quick question on the background check/application verification. I am sure this is feels like a tedious pain in the ass for many recently admitted students. Do you know what background check company Kellogg uses? In the admitted student portal, it says the application verification form will be available by late March/ early April, but it has yet to be posted. What company does Kellogg use for its background verification? How long does it usually take, and do students get a confirmation once the verification is complete?

The reason I ask is that I have to be abroad in the summer and hope to get everything on the To Do List - background check, housing arrangement, student insurance, computer set up, medical forms, etc - all complete before the summer begins.

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
ErikaSMBA wrote:
Hey Everyone! I am getting ready for Fall, and am wondering how much I need to know in Excel? I know how to create basic formulas, but is there anything else I should be prepared for? Should I sign up for MBAMath, or some Excel class? If anyone has some insight, that would be great!

I wouldn't worry about it. The KSA (student government) runs Excel and Powerpoint sessions in the fall for incoming students who need some extra help. Also, usually in the classes that use more advanced Excel functionality, the Excel will be covered either in class or during TA sessions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey

Thanks for creating this. I had a quick one - Is there an upper limit on the loans you can get from NU? I am just trying to plan my investments for the next 7 months and am pretty confused about what percentage of the funding should i take from the loan. Whats the general trend like?

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
hellyeah wrote:
Hey

Thanks for creating this. I had a quick one - Is there an upper limit on the loans you can get from NU? I am just trying to plan my investments for the next 7 months and am pretty confused about what percentage of the funding should i take from the loan. Whats the general trend like?

Thanks!

When you apply for financial aid, the school will return with a financial aid offer that bridges the gap between the student budget and your need. This could be composed of scholarships, grants, loans, etc. You then have the option of either accepting the financial aid offer or not, so I would assume that you can only take loans up to the amount that they have offered you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Send PM
The upper limit for loans is the annual student budget that the financial aid office publishes (roughly $76,000 this year), which is designed to cover tuition, housing, living expenses and other expenses (books, travel, etc.). In addition, in the first year there is an incremental amount (about $2,000) added to the budget to allow incoming students to buy a laptop. Assuming you get no other financial aid, you can borrow up to this amount each year (assuming you otherwise qualify for the loans).

Need only figures into grants, need-based scholarships and other assistance, not loans.
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Hey,
Did anyone receive an email from Deena W. saying that she's leaving Kellogg for another recruiting job in LA?

I did not quiet understand the second part of the email about DAK.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,
Did anyone receive an email from Deena W. saying that she's leaving Kellogg for another recruiting job in LA?

hmm no i didn't get that email. i have gotten a couple emails about financial aid though
Current Student
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,

I believe she is in charge of some specific admissions outreach programs, so she possibly only contacted those with whom she had direct contact (in case other admits are curious and feel left out)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,

Yeah, I got the email. I also did not quite understand the second part of the email. Guess we'll wait and see.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
I read on the 2012 admitted thread about pre-DAK informal welcome receptions on Thursday night. Any current students able to shed a bit of light on the where and when of these? Do they typically occur in downtown Chicago or downtown Evanston?

The underlying question here is, would my flight arriving in ORD at 4pm still be alright to attend these pre-DAK activities? If my experience flying to ORD in Feb (the best month!) is any indication, I will probably be able to use a few drinks afterward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
According to the agenda on the welcome website the Thursday night reception will be "in Evanston" but it's not clear whether it'll be on campus. Also it looks like it starts late (9PM) so you should have plenty of time after your flight arrives.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9