Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3904 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Send PM
Re: After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all [#permalink]
Kudos
Sunny143 wrote:
alimad wrote:
After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in
1989; since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued,
prompting
conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible
extinctions.
A. fish peaked in 1989; since that time, the total catch for most species has declined
or plateaued, prompting
B. fish peaked in 1989, but with the total catch since then declining or plateauing in
the case of most species, prompting
C. fish had peaked in 1989; since that time, the decline or plateau of the total catch
for most species, which prompted
D. fish, which peaked in 1989, and, in the case of most species, it has declined or
plateaued since, prompted
E. fish, which peaked in 1989 but has since declined or plateaued for most species,
and this prompted

I would keep it simple and go with A... :-D

D, E - use of which after fish...
C - use of past perfect, decline or plateau, placement of which
B - wrong use of participles, awkward

I disagree,

Clause 1= After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in 1989 (total annual catch is the subject and peaked is the verb:
Clause 2= since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued. prompting conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible extinctions ( now this is where it gets interesting, should this be treated as independent or a dependent clause? coz if independent what does since that time refer to?
I will say it should be dependent, and in that case it cannot have a semi-colon and therefore choice A is incorrect.
I will pick B. also notice the verb-ing modifier "prompting" correctly modifies the previous clause's subject.

Expert advise required..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all [#permalink]
Kudos
nikhil007 wrote:
I disagree,

Clause 1= After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in 1989 (total annual catch is the subject and peaked is the verb:
Clause 2= since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued. prompting conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible extinctions ( now this is where it gets interesting, should this be treated as independent or a dependent clause? coz if independent what does since that time refer to?
I will say it should be dependent, and in that case it cannot have a semi-colon and therefore choice A is incorrect.
I will pick B. also notice the verb-ing modifier "prompting" correctly modifies the previous clause's subject.

Expert advise required..

The correct answer is A.

Lets analyze A and B.

After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in 1989; since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued, prompting conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible extinctions.

The verb "has declined" express an action that started in the past, but continues is the present. Correct
The "ING + COMMA" (prompting ) correctly refers to the preceding clause, it expresses the results of the decline

After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in 1989, but with the total catch since then declining or plateauing in the case of most species, prompting conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible extinctions.

The ING form in the highlighted verbs is wrong. The ING form used as a verb must include an "is/are", however even in this case this option would be wrong.The present perfect is the correct choice. Let me add also that "but" is the wrong connector.

The semicolon in the GMAT connects two independent/main clauses, but they can be connected. Refer here

Does this help? Let me know
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
After increasing steadily for centuries, the total annual catch of all wild fish peaked in 1989; since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued, prompting conservation efforts designed to help prevent population crashes and possible extinctions.
A. fish peaked in 1989; since that time, the total catch for most species has declined or plateaued, prompting
Correct
B. fish peaked in 1989, but with the total catch since then declining or plateauing in the case of most species, prompting
prompting is used in wrong tense
C. fish had peaked in 1989; since that time, the decline or plateau of the total catch for most species, which prompted
Usage of which is wrong
D. fish, which peaked in 1989, and, in the case of most species, it has declined or plateaued since, prompted
Usage of which is wrong
E. fish, which peaked in 1989 but has since declined or plateaued for most species, and this prompted
Usage of which is wrong
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI broall , Vyshak ,

Please tag as GMATPrep EP2. Have got the question in today mock. Sorry to trouble Moderators :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM