Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted [#permalink]
sausha80 wrote:
Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage, there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.
a) of their ability to do it
[strike]b) of their doing that[/strike]
c) that they can do so
d) that they might one day be able to do it
e) to do so

I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?

Thanks.

From my memory, I think after ‘evidence’ there should be ‘that S+V’
Thus, a, b and e are wrong.
Between C and D, it can not refer back to the electronic devices may correct blindness.
Thus it is C

Please next time, do not show the answer. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted [#permalink]
Can somoone help me identify subject in this sentence.

Although "it is" - What should it point to?
In answer choice - " that they" - What does they point to - electronic device?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In such instances, in which it is difficult to spot the subject and the rest of the stuff, we should flip the sentence or in other words, re-write the sentence in the normal fashion. As such we can re-write the given sentence as below.

That certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage is conceivable, although there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.

Now the subject and verb will unfold. The entire phrase starting with -That certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage – is the subject while the verb is the word – is

Now you may see that in although it is, it should point to the subject that I mentioned above.

“That they"- they in this case stands for certain electronic devices. , as you have rightly pointed out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
At present we have no evidence of life on other planets.
vs
Do you have evidence that this treatment works?

both EVIDENCE OF & EVIDENCE THAT are idiomatic but their usage differ!
hope this helps :D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The problem in D is not the conjunction that, but the pronoun it. What does it stand for? Logically it should stand for the correction of the blindness but there is no such explicit antecedence in the sentence. May some day correct blindness is a verbal phrase and can not be replaced by a pronoun. Hence D is wrong. To do so rather brings out the intent explicitly
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
C. but not sure why others are wrong. i chose it coz it "sounded" right. pkit can u explain plz?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
vinzycoolfire wrote:
C. but not sure why others are wrong. i chose it coz it "sounded" right. pkit can u explain plz?

Lets wait for others to respond, and then I will provide my explanations.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Convinced that we need to have a subject pronoun such as 'they' to represent the electronic devices rather than the possessive and adjective ‘their’, we can narrow down to choices C and D. In D however, the pronoun ‘it’ can not justifiably and logically stand for blindness. Hence C is the choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage, there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.

A of their ability to do it
B of their doing that
C that they can do so
D that they might one day be able to do it
E to do so

I will go for C.

(a) is wrong because the use of "it" is incorrect, as "it" is a pronoun which can only tie back to noun but not Verb. Hence (A) is wrong.
Secondly use of "of their ability" is ambiguous and awkward.
And in answer (C) this mistake has been eradicated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
One more C.

A of their ability to do it
B of their doing that
C that they can do so
D that they might one day be able to do it
E to do so
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V25
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The problem in D is not the conjunction that, but the pronoun it. What does it stand for? Logically it should stand for the correction of the blindness but there is no such explicit antecedence in the sentence. May some day correct blindness is a verbal phrase and can not be replaced by a pronoun. Hence D is wrong. To do so rather brings out the intent explicitly

Hi,

There is a "it" in starting of the sentence, second "it" will point to whatever first it is pointing to i.e. "correction of blindness." and I dont feel D is wordy and I feel its the better answer .. Please someone chime in

Here is the question:

b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
sausha80 wrote:
b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?

Thanks.

Hi Sausha80, Thanks a lot for your question.
However, I suggest you make use of a spoiler in the future for comments such as this I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?, or you can also try and posting in it in a different reply.

Doing so will allow people to get a better training for the exam
Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sausha80 wrote:

A. of their ability to do it
B. of their doing that
C. that they can do so
D. that they might one day be able to do it
E. to do so

b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Thanks.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

C.

On a question as short as this, you don’t have to worry as much about scanning for differences. Just read quickly through the answer choices and you should be able to “hear” which one’s best. In (C), “doing so” is an academic sounding but correct usage which can pop up on the GMAT.Watch out for it and other bookish-sounding phrases typical of GMAT style. If you can’t use your ear for correct English, use logic and process of elimination. (E) is short. That might be a reason to prefer it. But if you plug (E) in, you see it makes the sentence say that “evidence” is doing something. In (A) , (B) and (D),“it” and “that” are ambiguous. That is, they don’t clearly refer to one and only one noun.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts