GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 11:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

91% (00:45) correct 9% (00:31) wrong based on 41 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage, there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.

A. of their ability to do it
B. of their doing that
C. that they can do so
D. that they might one day be able to do it
E. to do so

Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage, there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.
a) of their ability to do it
b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
d) that they might one day be able to do it
e) to do so

I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 12:04
sausha80 wrote:
[strike]b) of their doing that[/strike]
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?

Thanks.

In the sentences such as mentioned above "to do so" is almost always correct than "to do it". May be you can remember this rule.
Intern
Intern
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2010, 17:11
sausha80 wrote:
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Thanks.

Q.Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may some day correct blindness ...... there is now no clear evidence...
We need a 'that' at the end of evidence to introduce the clause that will follow, leaving us with c and d. C is correct

looking at b. Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may some day correct blindness... there is now no clear evidence of their doing that
by adding 'doing' we are changing the tense and the meaning. The sentence means to say that there is no evidence that X can cure Y. Answer B says that there is no evidence that they are curing y right now. (it is also a bit wordy)

hope that is clear.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2010, 05:55
sausha80 wrote:
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Thanks.

From my memory, I think after ‘evidence’ there should be ‘that S+V’
Thus, a, b and e are wrong.
Between C and D, it can not refer back to the electronic devices may correct blindness.
Thus it is C

Please next time, do not show the answer. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2010, 07:19
Can somoone help me identify subject in this sentence.

Although "it is" - What should it point to?
In answer choice - " that they" - What does they point to - electronic device?

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2010, 08:18
In such instances, in which it is difficult to spot the subject and the rest of the stuff, we should flip the sentence or in other words, re-write the sentence in the normal fashion. As such we can re-write the given sentence as below.

That certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage is conceivable, although there is now no clear evidence of their ability to do it.

Now the subject and verb will unfold. The entire phrase starting with -That certain electronic devices implanted in the brain may someday correct blindness caused by nerve damage – is the subject while the verb is the word – is

Now you may see that in although it is, it should point to the subject that I mentioned above.

“That they"- they in this case stands for certain electronic devices. , as you have rightly pointed out.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2010, 08:50
At present we have no evidence of life on other planets.
vs
Do you have evidence that this treatment works?

both EVIDENCE OF & EVIDENCE THAT are idiomatic but their usage differ!
hope this helps :D
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2010, 09:52
The problem in D is not the conjunction that, but the pronoun it. What does it stand for? Logically it should stand for the correction of the blindness but there is no such explicit antecedence in the sentence. May some day correct blindness is a verbal phrase and can not be replaced by a pronoun. Hence D is wrong. To do so rather brings out the intent explicitly

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 01:01
C. but not sure why others are wrong. i chose it coz it "sounded" right. pkit can u explain plz?

this time, we play for keeps

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 01:04
vinzycoolfire wrote:
C. but not sure why others are wrong. i chose it coz it "sounded" right. pkit can u explain plz?

Lets wait for others to respond, and then I will provide my explanations.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 07:41
Convinced that we need to have a subject pronoun such as 'they' to represent the electronic devices rather than the possessive and adjective ‘their’, we can narrow down to choices C and D. In D however, the pronoun ‘it’ can not justifiably and logically stand for blindness. Hence C is the choice

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 07:57
Pkit wrote:

A of their ability to do it
B of their doing that
C that they can do so
D that they might one day be able to do it
E to do so

I will go for C.

(a) is wrong because the use of "it" is incorrect, as "it" is a pronoun which can only tie back to noun but not Verb. Hence (A) is wrong.
Secondly use of "of their ability" is ambiguous and awkward.
And in answer (C) this mistake has been eradicated.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 00:38
One more C.

A of their ability to do it
B of their doing that
C that they can do so
D that they might one day be able to do it
E to do so

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V25
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2013, 12:22
daagh wrote:
The problem in D is not the conjunction that, but the pronoun it. What does it stand for? Logically it should stand for the correction of the blindness but there is no such explicit antecedence in the sentence. May some day correct blindness is a verbal phrase and can not be replaced by a pronoun. Hence D is wrong. To do so rather brings out the intent explicitly

Hi,

There is a "it" in starting of the sentence, second "it" will point to whatever first it is pointing to i.e. "correction of blindness." and I dont feel D is wordy and I feel its the better answer .. Please someone chime in

Here is the question:

b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 05:22
sausha80 wrote:
b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Thanks.

Hi Sausha80, Thanks a lot for your question.
However, I suggest you make use of a spoiler in the future for comments such as this I selected (b) but it seems the correct answer is (c). Can somebody please help me understand why (c) is correct and why others are wrong?, or you can also try and posting in it in a different reply.

Doing so will allow people to get a better training for the exam
Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 01:06
sausha80 wrote:

A. of their ability to do it
B. of their doing that
C. that they can do so
D. that they might one day be able to do it
E. to do so

b) of their doing that
c) that they can do so
e) to do so

Thanks.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

C.

On a question as short as this, you don’t have to worry as much about scanning for differences. Just read quickly through the answer choices and you should be able to “hear” which one’s best. In (C), “doing so” is an academic sounding but correct usage which can pop up on the GMAT.Watch out for it and other bookish-sounding phrases typical of GMAT style. If you can’t use your ear for correct English, use logic and process of elimination. (E) is short. That might be a reason to prefer it. But if you plug (E) in, you see it makes the sentence say that “evidence” is doing something. In (A) , (B) and (D),“it” and “that” are ambiguous. That is, they don’t clearly refer to one and only one noun.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 01:06

Although it is conceivable that certain electronic devices implanted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap