Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:39 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28872 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had [#permalink]
Hi experts,

Please can you explain why the usage of 'had' is incorrect here. Is it because of the presence of "now"?
I am also finding option E a little awkward because of the phrase "that which". Can we use both of these together?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3240 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AZBG wrote:
Hi experts,

Please can you explain why the usage of 'had' is incorrect here. Is it because of the presence of "now"?

The purpose of the past perfect -- had + VERBed -- is to express an action completed before another past action or event.
A: Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had receded, the risk now could be prolonged stagnation.
Here, the past perfect action in red is NOT completed before another past action or event.
Thus, this usage of the past perfect is illogical.
Eliminate A.

Quote:
I am also finding option E a little awkward because of the phrase "that which". Can we use both of these together?

The most common form of suffering in this novel is the suffering that characters inflict on themselves.

One purpose of that is to serve as a COPY PRONOUN.
Here, we can avoid the repetition of suffering by replacing the noun in blue with the copy pronoun that, as follows:
The most common form of suffering in this novel is that that characters inflict on themselves.

But now we have a problem: the double-usage of that, highlighted in color above.
To avoid this double-usage, we replace the red that with which:
The most common form of suffering in this novel is that which characters inflict on themselves.
The resulting sentence in green appeared in the NY Times.

The usage of that which is rare but valid.
Its purpose is to avoid the usage of that that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Official Explanation

Solution: E

Explanation: The easiest decision point on this question relates to the tense. The past perfect “had receded” is illogical in (A) and (B). There is nothing before which the fear receded! It could either have been completed at some point in the past (using the simple past receded), or more likely given the context of this sentence, be ongoing with the present perfect (has receded). In (C) and (D) the “it” is problematic as it creates a reference error – the pronoun seems to be referring back to the risk, when the goal is to compare the current stagnation with that in Argentina. Only (E), uses the logical tense “has receded” and uses “like” to make it clear that the comparison is between the possible prolonged stagnation in this cases, with the stagnation that took place in Argentina for the past two decades. Answer is (E).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
Please explain how to decide the use of past perfect. Also, is the second part of A correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7864 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anurag2018

Sure, the second part of A is fine.

As for past perfect, think of it as "the past of the past." To use it, we need to be referring to one past event that precedes another. For instance, we could say "I had already been waiting for 20 minutes when he texted to say he couldn't make our appointment."

Past event: He texted. Preceding past event: I had been waiting.

Even in these cases, I may not need the past perfect, as long as the meaning is clear. For instance, I might say "I disliked Patty until I got to know her better." I don't need to say "I had disliked Patty" just because I have two past events.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Send PM
Although the fear last year that the trade zone might break apart had [#permalink]
Kindly help GMATNinja mikemcgarry VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

I understand the 'HAD' error in A.
I still forced myself to choose it as the moment I saw the 2 commas ", content," structure. I focused on the non-essential modifier test.

And I still feel that ", the risk now could be prolonged stagnation," is crucial to the meaning of the sentence. and hence picked A.

Can you please correct me on this and provide some clarification?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7864 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tangokilo23
But the part you're talking about isn't a modifier at all. It's the main clause of the sentence! The format here is (dependent clause), (main clause), (modifier). Here's a simple sentence with that structure:

While I didn't enjoy the movie, I appreciate the book, one of the classics of its genre.

Again, note that "I appreciate the movie" is the main clause, not a modifier (essential or otherwise). In general, don't get too excited about essential vs. non-essential. It's a very small issue on the GMAT.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66911 [2]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tangokilo23 wrote:
Kindly help GMATNinja mikemcgarry VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

I understand the 'HAD' error in A.
I still forced myself to choose it as the moment I saw the 2 commas ", content," structure. I focused on the non-essential modifier test.

And I still feel that ", the risk now could be prolonged stagnation," is crucial to the meaning of the sentence. and hence picked A.

Can you please correct me on this and provide some clarification?

"Although the fear ... has receded" is the dependent clause beginning with the conjunction "although". So after the comma, you will get the main clause.
Main clause: the risk now could be prolonged stagnation, like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades

Note that not everything between two commas will be a non essential modifier. A modifier in between two commas is a non essential modifier.
My brother, who is very close to me, will visit me tomorrow.
"who is very close to me" - non essential modifier

But consider this sentence:
Since I am down with fever, my brother will bring my medicines, Ibuprofen and Benadryl, to me.

What is the structure here and which one is the non essential modifier, if there is one?

Since I am down with fever - Dependent clause
my brother will bring my medicines, Ibuprofen and Benadryl, to me. - Main clause
Ibuprofen and Benadryl - Non essential modifier (appositive)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AnotherGmater wrote:
Can someone please explain why not C? Is there any wrong in using simple past tense just "receded" since it happened in the last year?

The car I have is identical to that standing outside.... correct.
I have a car just as it is standing outside.... wrong.

I don't think "it" in this sentence, "I have a car just as it is standing outside", is wrong.
It refers to a car but it does not necessarily belong to me. On the other hand, the car standing outside might is my car (your brother drove it out)
Could anyone correct me if I am wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I need some suggestions here.

the sentence says "...fear last year....".

Now if the fear was in last year we need to have an "had" to indicate that it was receded last year only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi, can someone explain why C is the wrong answer?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [1]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jeremqui wrote:
Hi, can someone explain why C is the wrong answer?

Hello jeremqui,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option C incorrectly compares "prolonged stagnation" to "it has plagued Argentina for the past two decades"; remember, comparisons must always be made between similar elements.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I dont like answer E
Do anyone have the same feeling that "that" in E will refer to "the risk" rather than "stagnation"?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [0]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
louisinau wrote:
I dont like answer E
Do anyone have the same feeling that "that" in E will refer to "the risk" rather than "stagnation"?

Hello louisinau,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "that" will refer to "stagnation" because the modifier phrase "like that which has plagued Argentina for the past two decades" is linked by a comma to the noun "stagnation".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts