Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 05:24 It is currently 13 May 2024, 05:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [60]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4569 [25]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink]
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

The way I see it, this is a toss up between B and D
B is not correct because the clause before the comma has no noun.
Therefore it is D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The reason for rejecting B is not the lack of a verb in the “ clause” before the comma; In fact, the part before the comma is not even a clause; it is an adjectival modifier phrase; In essence what is widely distributed is the pest lesser cornstcok borer. But in B, the modifier modifies ‘measures, rather than the pest. That is the reason to dump B
The answer is D becos of proper modification
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A classic case of mis-modification

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is --- them has no referent

(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are ---
What is widely distributed is the insect’s young one, the lesser cornstcok borer, ( don’t try to analyze what lesser corn stock borer is ; It is the name given to a grub that bores into the bottom stem portion of the corn plant) and not the measures to control it. Wrong modification

(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is – same as in B control is not widely distributed. Wrong modification

(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are --- By using a differently structured sentence, what is widely distributed and what are necessary have been made amply clear. Correct choice

(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is --- it wrongly refers to control rather than insect

One question. Why is it tagged SV agreement?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
singh_satya wrote:
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are

(A) - Incorrect - "them" should be it
(B) - Incorrect - "measure" are not "widely distributed"
(C) - Incorrect - changes the meaning
(D) - Correct
(E) - Incorrect - "control" is not "widely distributed"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos

There is no antecedent for them
wrong modifiers. " widely distributed" modifies "the lesser cornstalk borer".
Should be "lesser cornstalk borer 'S control" or " control OF lesser cornstalk borer "
Correct
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is[/quote]
"It" here is ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
monir6000 wrote:

Incorrect: "Lessor cornstalk borer" is singular, so "control of THEM" cannot be correct

Incorrect: This is saying that the "measures to control lesser cornstalk borer" are widely distributed, when the original sentence says that the "lesser cornstalk borer" itself is widely distributed.

Incorrect: Saying that "lesser cornstalk borer control" is widely distributed, when it should be the "lesser cornstalk borer" itself that is widely distributed.

Correct: "It" agrees with "lesser cornstalk borer" and "are" agrees with "measures"

Incorrect: Same reasoning as C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi ChrisLele

Can you please explain what is modifying what in this sentence. Measures is modifying the whole clause?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4569 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
@pavanpuneet,

In some of the incorrect answer choices there is faulty modification. In the correct answer, those errors in modification are omitted. For instance if we take answer choice (B), ...although widely distributed, the measures..., the measures, which comes directly after the comma, is being modified by the preceding phrase.

The correct answer (D) eliminates this error by making it clear in the subordinating clause that the borer is widely distributed, although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures... Unlike answer choice (B), 'measures' that comes after the comma is not being modified by anything in the preceding phrase. The reason is that preceding phrase already has a subject (the borer), that is clearly linked with 'widely distributed.'

Hope that helps remove any confusion :).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Much of the problem of this question will be cleared if, we understand that the lesser corn borer is a pest that bores in the lower part of the corn stem and eats away the soft tissues, breaking the plant into two and leading to the plant’s death eventually. This is such a major pest in the southern regions where some definitive control is required.

On the grammar side, the borer is a singular noun

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is – ‘ borer’ is singular and ‘them’ is plural . Sub-pronoun mismatch.

(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are --- wrong modification, widely distributed things are not the measures but the borer.

(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is – what is widely distributed is not the borer control but the borer. Same as in B

(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are -- the correct choice.

(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is --- control is not widely distributed., the borer is ------same as in B and C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
monir6000 wrote:

Hi,

What is the source of this question?

Per the concept of Parallelism: In Although X, Y form-> X and Y should be Parallel.

Option D states: Although the lessor cornstalk borer ...., measures to control.....
Here the bold and underlined parts should be parallel, which is not the case and hence I believe this should not be the correct choice.

Experts kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15286 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
andy2502 wrote:
monir6000 wrote:

Hi,

Per the concept of Parallelism: In Although X, Y form-> X and Y should be Parallel.

Option D states: Although the lessor cornstalk borer ...., measures to control.....
Here the bold and underlined parts should be parallel, which is not the case and hence I believe this should not be the correct choice.

"Although" is used to depict contrast between a dependent clause and an independent clause (the clause containing "although" is the dependent clause).
Although I am tired, I must go.
He did not score well, although he studied hard.

Similarly in option D, a dependent clause " Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is contrasted with an independent clause "measures to control it are necessary only in the South." Option D is alright.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
andy2502 wrote:
monir6000 wrote:

Hi,

"Although" is used to depict contrast between a dependent clause and an independent clause (the clause containing "although" is the dependent clause).

Similarly in option D, a dependent clause " Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed" is contrasted with an independent clause "measures to control it are necessary only in the South." Option D is alright.

Thanks sayantanc2k for the reply. I understand that 'Although' is used to create a contrast and connects 2 clauses. However, I am not clear on whether there has to be parallelism between the 2 connected entities.

In the examples you quoted, I can notice parallelism between the two entities(refer bold highlighted below):

Similarly in the question above, I assume the choice should have been:

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, it has to be controlled only in the South.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15286 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
andy2502 wrote:

Thanks sayantanc2k for the reply. I understand that 'Although' is used to create a contrast and connects 2 clauses. However, I am not clear on whether there has to be parallelism between the 2 connected entities.

In the examples you quoted, I can notice parallelism between the two entities(refer bold highlighted below):

Similarly in the question above, I assume the choice should have been:

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, it has to be controlled only in the South.

This concept is not about parallelism, but about sentence structure. It is not required that the subject of the clauses be the same.

We went to play, although it was raining... correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink]

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is - the pronoun 'them' does not have a clear antecedent. Hence, eliminate (A)

(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are - this structure tells us that it is the 'measures' that are widely distributed. But logically, it is the "lesser cornstalk borer' that is widely distributed. (B) has a modifier error. Hence, eliminate (B)

(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is - this structure effectively makes 'lesser cornstalk borer' a noun modifier that modifies 'control', which is now the main subject that takes the modifier "although widely distributed". (C) introduces a modifier error. Hence, eliminate (C)

(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are - has no error in it. Hence, (D) is the right answer choice.

(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is - the pronoun 'it' has two possible antecedents: "control" and the "lesser cornstalk borer". Since 'it' has no clear unique antecedent, eliminate (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
singh_satya wrote:

A is eliminated because of "them"

B is incorrect because "widely distributed, measures to control..." doesn't make logical sense

C same issue as B

D is solid

E is incorrect because "control" is the new subject and E would be phrased as "control is widely distributed, control of"
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts