Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:31 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11682 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Am I ready to take the GMAT? Need some advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi balthazar98.

Given your practice accuracies, your practice test score appears to be a little inflated.

For instance, scoring 40 in Verbal generally takes getting 80 percent of the medium and hard Verbal questions you see on the test correct, whereas what you said seem to indicate that you get around 70 percent of the medium and hard Verbal practice questions you see correct.

However, it could be that your strength in RC pulls up your overall average accuracy on practice questions, in which case, your practice test score may not be inflated.

I recommend taking a fresh practice test to get a clearer sense of where you stand at this point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Am I ready to take the GMAT? Need some advice [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi balthazar98,

When we first discussed your studies (early last June), you were planning to take the GMAT in December. Did you take the Official GMAT as planned (and if so, then how did you score?)? In addition, what type of study routine were you following last year?

From what you describe about your recent CATs/mocks, it's tough to say how representative this recent 700 actually is. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). I suggest that you study as you like for the next week, then take a NEW CAT/mock. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you will be at a Test Facility that will require that you wear a face mask, then wear a mask, etc.). Once you have that Score, you should PM me and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Hi Rich,

To answer your question: I didn't take the gmat in december, and haven't taken it yet. This is because studying the topics for quant & verbal took me longer than expected(I was supposed to finish it in 3 months but instead I took 5 months), and the past 3 months(december, january, february) have been dedicated towards doing the mocks, practice questions and revising certain topics which I didn't score well on.

Based on your advice(and others given here), I think i'll take another official mock. Would you recommend that I buy the official mocks(3&4) or retake official mock 1? I have read on this forum that the question banks are large enough that you can retake mock 1 & 2 without seeing repeat questions from doing them in the first attempt. I have no issue with buying more official mocks, but i'd like to clarify the abovementioned before doing so.

Thank you!
-balthazar98

Originally posted by balthazar98 on 20 Feb 2023, 22:11.
Last edited by balthazar98 on 20 Feb 2023, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Quote:
and getting my desired score(700+).

Consider purchasing some Official Mocks when you feel you are ready. Fair to say two consecutive fresh Official Mocks that a person scores 700+ on would be a positive sign of doing the same on an actual exam.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. Would you recommend that I buy the official mocks(3&4) or retake official mock 1? I have read on this forum that the question banks are large enough that you can retake mock 1 & 2 without seeing repeat questions from doing them in the first attempt. I have no issue with buying more official mocks, but i'd like to clarify the abovementioned before doing so.

Thank you!
-balthazar98
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi balthazar98.

Given your practice accuracies, your practice test score appears to be a little inflated.

For instance, scoring 40 in Verbal generally takes getting 80 percent of the medium and hard Verbal questions you see on the test correct, whereas what you said seem to indicate that you get around 70 percent of the medium and hard Verbal practice questions you see correct.

However, it could be that your strength in RC pulls up your overall average accuracy on practice questions, in which case, your practice test score may not be inflated.

I recommend taking a fresh practice test to get a clearer sense of where you stand at this point.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention that for verbal, my accuracy for SC in 700 level questions overall is actually about 80%. The figures I mentioned for SC in the original post were for Idioms, Parallelism & Modifiers(which are my weak points and which I was practicing more on over the past couple of weeks).

All things considered, taking another official mock would be the right thing to do for now. Could you let me know of the following:

1) How long should I wait until I take the next mock? Would it be a good idea to take it in 1 week's time?
2) Should I retake the Official Mock 1 instead of buying more official mocks and taking them? I have read on this forum that the question banks are large enough that you can retake mock 1 & 2 one more time without seeing repeat questions from doing them in the first attempt. I have no issue with buying more official mocks, but i'd like to get some clarification on the abovementioned before doing so.

Thank you!
-balthazar98
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11682 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi balthazar98,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Since you just took a CAT, you should study as you see fit for the next week, then take a new CAT. Based on the information that you have provided, it would likely be best for you to take one of the new, Official CATs (from either Exam Pack 1 or Exam Pack 2) - as opposed to retaking a CAT that you have already taken (since we don't want you to inadvertently see any 'repeat' questions that you already know the answers to). Once you have that Score, you should PM me and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
balthazar98 wrote:
Hi Marty,

Thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention that for verbal, my accuracy for SC in 700 level questions overall is actually about 80%. The figures I mentioned for SC in the original post were for Idioms, Parallelism & Modifiers(which are my weak points and which I was practicing more on over the past couple of weeks).

All things considered, taking another official mock would be the right thing to do for now. Could you let me know of the following:

1) How long should I wait until I take the next mock? Would it be a good idea to take it in 1 week's time?

You could take it once you've addressed the issues that caused you to miss questions on the last one.

Quote:
2) Should I retake the Official Mock 1 instead of buying more official mocks and taking them? I have read on this forum that the question banks are large enough that you can retake mock 1 & 2 one more time without seeing repeat questions from doing them in the first attempt. I have no issue with buying more official mocks, but i'd like to get some clarification on the abovementioned before doing so.

You'll see at least a few repeated questions even on 1 and 2. So, if you retake those, your practice experience won't be realistic, and your score will likely be inflated. In other words, retaking them is OK, but not ideal.

So, you should purchase some fresh ones.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30896 [0]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey balthazar98,

Great job on scoring a 700 on the official mock test!

At this stage, we cannot say with certainty that you’re ready to take your first attempt on the GMAT because you scored a 700 on just one official mock. To be certain about your current skill level, you need to score 700+ consistently at least across 3 mocks.

There is also a chance of your mock score being inflated because:

1. Like you mentioned, you had seen some of these questions earlier and were able to recall them.
  2. There is a chance that you were only tested on your stronger concepts but you still have certain lingering weaknesses (because of which you scored lower in your previous mocks).

Now, there are also a few short comings in your current approach that you need to identify and take corrective measures.

1. GMAT is a test of skills and in order to succeed in GMAT you need to build and hone those skills. Unlike other traditional exams merely practicing a bunch of questions without using defined methods and approaches will not help.
  2. It is essential that you identify your weak areas and focus on bridging all the conceptual gaps. Click here to understand in what terms should you be tracking improvements and analyzing your performance.
  3. You need to review each and every quiz and mock test that you take to ensure that you got answers correct for the right reasons and why you got certain questions incorrect or took excessive time to answer. You also need to keep a track of your score improvement.

Last Mile Improvement Plan

I understand that you are at a very crucial stage in your preparation. And hence, I’ve tried to create a step-by-step checklist that will help you make the best use of the time you have before your GMAT.

Step 1
As an initial step I’d recommend you take a mock test to establish your current scores for every individual sub-section (SC, CR, RC, AR, ALG-GEO) which will further help us in creating specific plans for each individual subsection for you.

You can take the free SIGma-X mock test to get ESR like analysis of your current skill level.

Step 2
Once you have identified your strengths and weak areas, you can then prepare a study plan accordingly.

For subsections where your score is below the 60th percentile, start your prep from Stage 1:

Stage 1 is the Learning Stage wherein you learn the different concepts and their application from scratch. Successful completion of this stage demonstrates that you have reached between 50-60th percentile ability.

For subsections where your score is between 60th to 80th percentile, spend a major proportion of your time and effort on this stage.

Stage 2, as we call the Cementing Stage, is where you cement your application skills for each sub-section in Verbal and each topic in Quant by solving medium and hard level questions and getting a good score consistently in a timed manner.

Here’s how you can create and attempt cementing quizzes:

1. Each sub-sectional quiz should have a mixed bag of 10 questions solved first under relaxed timing (20 minutes) and then under standard timing (15 minutes).
  2. Start with medium difficulty. Proceed to hard once you have qualified 3 medium level cementing quizzes consistently.
  3. For each difficulty level- Medium or Hard, there is a clearly defined accuracy threshold.

• For a Medium Cementing Quiz, the cut-off is 70% accuracy and,
  • For a Hard-Cementing Quiz, the cut-off is 50% accuracy.

For further understanding, click here to watch a video that explains the cementing process in detail.

Successful completion of this stage demonstrates that you have crossed the 70th percentile ability in each sub-section.

Step 3

Once you have successfully completed Stage 2 for all individual sub-sections, start with the Test Readiness Stage. Since this is the last stage, here the focus is on maximizing your score at Sectional Quizzes under proper test conditions. In this stage you will solve multiple cross-sub-sectional quizzes to build your stamina for the actual GMAT exam. You can also take a few full-length mock tests to assess your overall test readiness and identify any lingering weaknesses.

Successful completion of this stage demonstrates that you have reached the 91st percentile ability.

Step 4

Before your test, make sure you spend enough time on revising your notes and error logs.

Some Motivation for You

I’m also sharing a few success stories of students who’ve had a similar journey as you:

• Sushant improved from 700 to 760 in just about 3 weeks. He took the help of his e-GMAT mentor to leverage the data analytics in the course to achieve this feat. He improved his Verbal score from a V33 to a massive V46. Click here to watch his success story.
  • Pooja improved from 690 to 750 in just 3- weeks. She leveraged the xPERT AI to execute a hyper-specific study plan to improve in limited time. Click here to watch and understand her study plan.
  • Christos improved from a 690 to 750 in just 20 days. He leveraged the e-GMAT expert support to create a milestone driven study plan and executed with diligence. He used the xPERT AI and strategic review methodology to secure a Q50 and a V40 in limited time. Click here to watch his debrief.

I sincerely hope that you find this insightful and motivational. Feel free to reach out to us on support@e-gmat.com once you’ve taken the mock if you need help with analysing the mock and creating an actionable study plan.

Wishing you luck and success with your GMAT!

Best Regards,
Mansi
GMAT Club Bot